TWO new football commits!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Arnaud was a three.

Forget stars, how about offers? I would feel differently if some of these kids at least had other BCS schools after them.

I think its stupid to assume that other big time programs would want them later and they would magically become 4 stars.

I don't expect ISU to get 5 stars, but at least kids that other BCS level schools are going for.

Thats not unrealistic at all.

But he was the top player in the state.

What part of everyones poitn are you not getting here? Teams are not done offering. They are still offering first choices. It makes no sense to spend time and resources on a bunch or highly touted guys that will end up somewhere else. Instead, I believe the staff has targeted guys that we have a legitimate shot at and that are quality players. I will be shocked if QBSR is not a three star. I will also be shocked if a couple other guys aren't at least 2 stars and I think a couple will be 3s. August is way too early to be deciding who is and isn't worth their salt based on what rivals or scout says. There is so much time left.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, I'm talking about his style of play. You are correct that Sed has done NOTHING for us thus far. But I think he's going to be HUGE for us in the next 2 years.

Ecby is not a Jarvis West or Josh Lenz type smallish jitterbug like WR. He will be more like a Todd Blythe, Marquis Hamilton, Sed Johnson, and Donnie Jennert type WR. I like having a bunch of jitterbug WRs, but you also have to have a guy or two that you can throw the jump balls to. I like him.

And if Ecby was offered all of the sudden by Alabama or Texas, yes, he would immediately be at a bare minimum 3 star or 4 star. I don't believe the star ratings at all.

Go get the guys that fit your system, and are out to prove something. A lot of the best players that ISU and Iowa have ever had didn't have many stars after their names. ARob might be our best player on our team right now... go tell me how many stars he had? I think it was 2 by most services, maybe 3 by some?

I'd put Ecby more in the Sumrall/Williams/Darks role. I don't think that he has the height of Blythe, Jennert, Johnson or the size of Hamilton.

I do think that if Alabama offered Ecby, he would move up from a 2 to a 3 star, but I don't believe that one offer moves a player up two stars. It may have been that way years ago, but I think that they've improved their ratings system some in the last few years.

As far as overall recruiting goes, I can see both sides. First off, we are not going to see a bunch of highly ranked FL/CA/TX kids committing to ISU without a visit. And official visits don't happen until the season starts. That means that for out of state kids, they won't be visiting Ames until the three game stretch starting with UNI. If we are going to get kids with multiple offers, that is when it will start. Make no mistake, those are HUGE official visit weekends for ISU and I truely expect to see the class 90% filled by the week or so after that stretch of games.

That being said, I'm not going to say that every guy they get is a Plan A recruit at this point. They obviously offered some other QBs before Richardson...guys like Ely, Weatherford, Manziel, Walsh. I'd say that Richardson was somewhere around 5th or 6th on their list, which isn't too bad. IMO ISU is looking at Plan B and C type guys right now. There's a few Plan A guys that they are going to still battle for with official visits, but for the most part, those guys are gone. What really hurts is when you get into December and are battling for Plan F and G guys. I just don't see them getting to that point...I think that they'll be pretty full by then.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
This may be off base but...
Is it possible we are offering kids now that we know we have a serious shot at getting, and as our needs get filled we will take the remaining schollies and shoot for the stars?

I base my likes and dislikes on the videos I see. I don't care if the kid is a 2 star, if he looks like he is good in his tapes the proof rarely lies. Unless of course he is playing Iowa HS football, then we all know he isn't worth a hill of beans.
(I would add the pirate, but the page isn't working for some reason.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Who was that #5 in the last play of Tad's Video?... Think he was a RB. He had a pretty good move and some speed. He looks smallish but would like to know more about him.

Oh and ya...good pickups :D