TWO new football commits!

CloneINOregon

Aug 16, 2010
Portland
If you look at the offers we have out, most of these kids aren't our first choices.

I love Tad on film though.

Did we actually beat OSU and OU for the other kid, or did we get him by default? I'm not a rivals member.

Any video of him too?

CloneINOregon

Aug 16, 2010
Portland
I will say this though, if were going to make it big, were going to need to be able to recruit players like these. They may need development, but thats what were going to need to do.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I gotta admit, I'm somewhat nervous about this too.

Just seems like a lot of guys with no offers, and its August, it would be different if it were April or May. These kids have been on the camp circut.

Don't base what is actually going on with recruiting on what is up at rivals or scout. Often times they are behind or may never know what offers are really there or who is interested. Also, PR, WB, BE and company have been around awhile. They know what the right talent is. They aren't just offering guys to get early commitments. Besides all of that, stars mean zero right now. I am a believer that they are a probability of success measurement more than they are an evaluation of what kind of player they are. There is absolutely no way that they can get to every kid anyway. Later in the season they will become more accurate and more players will be evaluated.

CloneINOregon

Aug 16, 2010
Portland
I would agree with you, but look at our entire class, and take a peak at their offers.

Its alarming, thats all I'm saying.

Your not going to sign an entire class of diamonds in the rough. Just doesn't happen. At some point, you gotta get the blue chip talent.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I would agree with you, but look at our entire class, and take a peak at their offers.

Its alarming, thats all I'm saying.

Your not going to sign an entire class of diamonds in the rough. Just doesn't happen. At some point, you gotta get the blue chip talent.

I agree but at the same time it's August. Like I said, a lot of those guys will have stars attached. Also, we aren't going to be getting blue chip guys right away. It just won't happen.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
If qb Sam Richardson has no stars that pretty much tells me that rating system is worthless.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I trust our coaches evaluating these guys more than recruiting services. The coaches have been doing this their whole lives and they have made a living out of being right about this. I don't think Tom Lemming is going to lose his job if he let's a guy fall through the cracks.

MattforState

Aug 17, 2010
Des Moines, IA
I know people hate it when Iowa is brought up around here, but look how Ferentz built the success there. From what I remember/have heard, Chad Greenway and Bob Sanders didn't have the stars or others recruiting them, and Iowa didn't have many highly rated recruiting classes until the last four years or so.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind getting some guys that have more stars/are being recruited by other big time programs, but while building a program up, you have to be able to find the diamonds in the rough.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I trust our staff no matter what. If we offer and get a player on board then i trust them. They're great coaches and teachers.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I know people hate it when Iowa is brought up around here, but look how Ferentz built the success there. From what I remember/have heard, Chad Greenway and Bob Sanders didn't have the stars or others recruiting them, and Iowa didn't have many highly rated recruiting classes until the last four years or so.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind getting some guys that have more stars/are being recruited by other big time programs, but while building a program up, you have to be able to find the diamonds in the rough.

IIRC, Sanders was recruited by Lloyd Carr's Michigan (and may have signed), he was a known talent. Anyway, I agree with you;

ISU won't be getting any Blue Chippers any time soon and we don't have to. We have to build players. I think a more accurate analogy would be the Devany/Osborne model of transforming big strong farm boys who are fat around the edges into DLs and OLs and going south/west for skill players while creating a top notch walk on program and strength program. I was encouraged by CPR stating (I'm paraphrasing) that the area of the program currently exceeding expectations is the strength program. This is a must for ISU, we have to be building players because we simply won't be able to compete with OU and UT for them.

I will say this though, in the last twenty years we've seen some pretty good homegrown skill talent; Orton, Tavian Banks, Tim Dwight, Todd Blythe...

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He has one offer, there aren't many highly rated recruits with one offer.

Not sure about your logic behind that one.

Well according to your logic, then they aren't very many highly rated recruits. There are a ton of guys out there right now that may not have the offers but by the time February rolls around, they will have offers. The thing is, right now everyone is going for a lot of the same guys. As those guys start to pick, schools will have to go down the line and make offers.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I kind of look at Ecby as our next Sedrick Johnson. It's always good to have one sure handed guy with some height that can stretch the field. Then surround him with a bunch of lightning quick jitterbug guys like Jarvis West.

I just hope to see some good sized DL recruits with the remaining open schollies.

We have 2 DEs right now in Lemke and Irving. We probably need to add another JUCO DE IMO with us losing Parker next year. But we are going to need DT's in a serious way.

Also... LBs. We do have Kyle Boyd and Jevohn Miller already committed, and Jared Brackens may have the size to end up at LB too? I think we desperately will need a JUCO LB as well that can step in right away and provide depth.

QB is done. RB... maybe Standard? OL- maybe 2 more. TE? WR is done IMO. Thoughts?

So you're saying he won't contribute for 3 or 4 years? SJ hasn't lived up to any of the early hype he had up to this point. I get what you're saying about his style of play, and you're right about that but its mostly speculation whether SJ brings that to this offense or not.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
He has one offer, there aren't many highly rated recruits with one offer.

Not sure about your logic behind that one.

I had one D1 offer going into my senior year and that was from ISU. Four games in right before my injury happened I had offers from Minnesota, Kansas, and Air Force.

Lots of teams wait and see how Juniors they have been recruiting progress into their senior season before they will offer.

there are far more quality players with only one offer right now than ones with multiple offers. Just the way recruiting works.