Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Once we are in year 5 or 6 of this...the first player (any program) who posts a polished Instagram graphic stating they left because some program offered them millions in cash will be my favorite player of all time just for breaking the honesty barrier.

Already nauseated by the messages about how their current program/coaches are perfect yet God and/or their heart told them to leave the perfect situation for the great unknown.

I'm not mad at Tyrese, I like him. I'd like him even more and even probably keep following his career if he could have said something like his family needs the money and he's following the fat stacks of cash he deserves. Sucker for honesty I guess.
You mean you don’t find solace in God wanting us to suck?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
so does the NIL $ that a player makes change the way you react to him/her?

are they still "student athletes" like they were prior to NIL and "off limits" to certain types of scrutiny?
Most of the deals are corny and generate mostly laughs. T-shirt sales and some local restaurants etc...

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Where it will get interesting is with schools with extremely wealthy alumni bases who haven't been powerhouses in college basketball. Thing about what a school like Harvard could do with the right coach and a pool of wealthy alumni who want to "buy a championship." The narrative is shifting so fast it's mind blowing.
Looking at a top 10 list of universities of note with wealthiest alumni base: Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, USC. Stanford and NW could be sleeping giants in all this in both basketball and football.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I thank Tyrese for everything he did in the last year, but I will never ever cheer for him again.

Right. I wish Tyrese, as a human being, success, happiness, and prosperity. But he's no longer a Cyclone, he won't graduate a cyclone, he wont declare for the draft as a cyclone, and if/when he makes the NBA and they announce his name, they won't announce him as a cyclone. Allegiance is gone.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I keep seeing this. I don't think that teams that will court him are thinking he is a 27% three point shooter.

He is a true freshman who shot .205 (9/44) coming out of the gate. The middle third of the season he shot .229 (11/48). The final third of the season he shot .395 (17/43). That looks to me like a true freshman who was a good shooter in high school adjusting to P6 basketball.

True, but that's also not elite guard category, sorry. Elite guards at NCAA level in freshman year don't even have an adjustment time. They were playing so far above the level of their HS teams, and even above the level of a lot of NCAA D1 schools that they come into NCAA play without much issue.

IMO Tyrese is not an elite guard yet. With the right coaching he could become one, but it's absolutely true he was inconsistent offensively. He definitely played better down the stretch but I'm sorry, basically "elite freshman guard" and "adjusted 2/3 of his freshman year to D1 play" are almost oxymorons.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Lipsey is not a 4 star.

Lipsey is a definite upgrade over Tre Jackson. That is the role he will likely play. Jeremiah Williams will play the Point unless we pick up an experienced PG or a CG to play with Williams. Williams Is good on D. Can play both PG and SG. And has length on D. What is sad about losing Tyrese is that we expected big improvement this coming year. after a good but offensively inconsistent Freshman year.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Where it will get interesting is with schools with extremely wealthy alumni bases who haven't been powerhouses in college basketball. Thing about what a school like Harvard could do with the right coach and a pool of wealthy alumni who want to "buy a championship." The narrative is shifting so fast it's mind blowing.
I agree but I think it would be more likely to be a Memphis or SMU type mid major that decides to go this route.

Reactions: exCYtable

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I haven’t really kept up with this thread, but IMO ISU fans cannot afford to pay hundreds of thousand of dollars every year for NIL. As some have mentioned we will have to compete for the mid-major athletes. However, one way ISU (fan base not university) could become more competitive is by having a NIL endowment of sorts. The payment to the athletes comes from interest generated on the capital instead of having to raise new funds every year etc.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sources: A group of heavy-hitting Iowa State boosters and alumni have already created an NiL collective. I’m hearing it will be live in the next few weeks. Stay tuned

To be honest, I'm not sure how to feel about this. I realize that we live in a new NIL world now and we'll have to play this NIL game to be competitive, but I doubt it's sustainable for ISU and I have no desire to donate even more of my money for kids who have little loyalty to ISU and are just looking to cash in.

Luckily we got the major JTS upgrade in the rearview...so if it's just redirecting money to players instead of fancier locker rooms maybe that's totally fine.

I wouldn't want to be in KU football's shoes where they are trying to throw money at players with a HS stadium. How they were the only team in the conference that didn't find a way to make major stadium upgrade is beyond me...now they suddenly care about NIL money for football?

I do wonder if any NIL deals will be structured like multi-year contracts. There's suddenly so much more stability in pro sports now. There are one year deals for some older players or fringe NBA players sometimes but few foundational young players have single year contracts.

Every freshman is basically a one year contract now. If they are really good at a blue blood they are probably a draft pick. If they are really good anywhere else they are probably headed to UNC or Ohio State to get paid. If they are really good at Southern Illinois or Wright State they are probably heading to a program like ISU/KSU/Missouri.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I thank Tyrese for everything he did in the last year, but I will never ever cheer for him again.

Kind of like getting dumped. You learn from it and move on and typically find someone better suited for you. And you may say the right things about hoping they are happy to. All's well that ends well, right?

But at the end of the day you wind up hoping they get married to a pot-bellied balding guy with a lower management job and a gambling problem.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
There isn't. Public schools are always going to be at a disadvantage there because the accounting has to show that they university is being paid for the athletic scholarships that are being given.
Can student athlete's receive Pell Grants or other forms of non-loan based financial aid?

It's a question I have. It's seem to me that schools like Drake, Central, Grandview have found a way to survive and maybe thrive.

Conversely, we hear about enrollment struggles for a school like UNI. And it not just UNI, saw a recent article where University of Wisconsin-Platteville enrollment is down something like 20% over the last 5 years. For years funding athletics has been part of the growth solution for University Presidents. Has there been a shift and now schools need to invest elsewhere?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
You expect us to believe KU reports their actual numbers?
Since it is perfectly legal now, it would not benefit a school to hide NIL deals. If anything, I think schools will start to overstate NIL deals to make themselves look more appealing to prospective athletes.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I guess if we are going to get good players from the portal we have to be prepared to lose some. I think the transfer portal and NIL are going to turn into a very bad thing if they don’t come up with some type of restrictions that make sense for everyone.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Number Monkey

Aug 12, 2021
big12fanatics.com
A more realistic option like this is UVA, which has an obscene money base to draw from, and I think they're starting to flex their financial muscles. It wouldn't shock me at all if Manning ended there nor would it if Hunter did as well.

Reactions: exCYtable

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Can student athlete's receive Pell Grants or other forms of non-loan based financial aid?

It's a question I have. It's seem to me that schools like Drake, Central, Grandview have found a way to survive and maybe thrive.

Conversely, we hear about enrollment struggles for a school like UNI. And it not just UNI, saw a recent article where University of Wisconsin-Platteville enrollment is down something like 20% over the last 5 years. For years funding athletics has been part of the growth solution for University Presidents. Has there been a shift and now schools need to invest elsewhere?
I don't believe that a player who was recruited to play sports can be granted academic scholarships or that would be a way to go over the scholarship limits.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He (or she) woke up this morning, took a brief break from being mad at Ukraine, and got mad at ISU basketball for a couple minutes.

I've often wondered if I should be concerned that God has never provided me with clear and direct advice on major life decisions. It would also seem to me that the big man has a little confirmation bias going on, as you rarely see him telling people not to do something.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron