Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If they’re getting paid euro money, it’s not too different than a lot of these guys that go pro with little chance of getting drafted.

There are good players that know they won’t make the nba, and getting paid euro money to sit on the bench at a plush P5 program likely appealing.

Guys already take PT risks while going to places like KU/UNC/UK for free. Add $200k in NIL, and it wouldn’t be shocking to see a out of guys like Yesufu at any program that can afford it
You're not wrong and it's semantics but I can bet you there are only a handful of guys at the Division 1 level that have the mindset that they do not care whatsoever about playing, they just want to get paid.

Sure, there are guys who are willing to bet on themselves and continue to practice and grind until they receive playing time all the while getting a check, but I refuse to believe that NIL now makes guys not care at all about playing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If they’re getting paid euro money, it’s not too different than a lot of these guys that go pro with little chance of getting drafted.

There are good players that know they won’t make the nba, and getting paid euro money to sit on the bench at a plush P5 program likely appealing.

Guys already take PT risks while going to places like KU/UNC/UK for free. Add $200k in NIL, and it wouldn’t be shocking to see a lot of guys like Yesufu at any program that can afford it

Do we have any indication at all that the 17th guy at Arkansas would be getting $200k? I mean--why? Why would anyone want to give someone $200k to be on the scout team? Again it just feels like we are making **** up at this point.

Again this conversation is about dudes taking walk on spots which would make them at least the 15th player. Yesufu was, what, the 4-5th guy off the bench? So we are talking about guys 6-7 guys further down the bench from him by the example you've given.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You're not wrong and it's semantics but I can bet you there are only a handful of guys at the Division 1 level that have the mindset that they do not care whatsoever about playing, they just want to get paid.

Sure, there are guys who are willing to bet on themselves and continue to practice and grind until they receive playing time all the while getting a check, but I refuse to believe that NIL now makes guys not care at all about playing.

Lol. Cashing a 6 figure check changes an 18-22 yo. ****. Cashing 3 figure checks changed my life as a 18-22 yo.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Do we have any indication at all that the 17th guy at Arkansas would be getting $200k? I mean--why? Why would anyone want to give someone $200k to be on the scout team? Again it just feels like we are making **** up at this point.

Again this conversation is about dudes taking walk on spots which would make them at least the 15th player. Yesufu was, what, the 4-5th guy off the bench? So we are talking about guys 6-7 guys further down the bench from him by the example you've given.
Exactly, supply and demand, Econ 101. Nobody wants an NIL deal with someone they don't receive some benifit from, wether that be advertising or just personal gratification that they helped get that guy there. If he's sitting on the bench, that demand is gone

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Imo we’re thinking about it wrong. These guys are going “professional”. Guys leave early to get paid (and not play much) right now.

You only have so many years to make money- there are likely a ton of upperclassman that would rather just start their euro career a year early.

The younger guys may be scared off if you’ve got talent all down the roster, but top programs already land guys despite superior rosters. Add better NIL at these top programs and i don’t see that changing

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Lol. Cashing a 6 figure check changes an 18-22 yo. ****. Cashing 3 figure checks changed my life as a 18-22 yo.
Again, I'm not saying there wouldn't be some players willing to not play basketball and get paid. There absolutely would be. But to think that there'd be schools that would just pool 20 players together, pay them each 250,000 and only half would play is just ridiculous on so many levels.

Reactions: peteypie

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Imo we’re thinking about it wrong. These guys are going “professional”. Guys leave early to get paid (and not play much) right now.

You only have so many years to make money- there are likely a ton of upperclassman that would rather just start their euro career a year early.

The younger guys may be scared off if you’ve got talent all down the roster, but top programs already land guys despite superior rosters. Add better NIL at these top programs and i don’t see that changing
Yeah I guess I was thinking more on the lines of the younger players who still need to prove themselves for professional ball.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Okay, good, we’ve established getting players to agree to it isn’t an issue. If a guy is willing to risk being the 10th man for free, it’s a deal to be the 17th man for 200k. Euro money for living the college life will have a ton of interest

Why would the teams/boosters do it? Basic Resource scarcity. The same reason the top programs in football didn’t want scholarship limits. It’s still super cheap compared to the decades of arms race donating on facilities and coaching. The input of talented players 18-23 isnt increasing. If you have the money to land another talented player, you will do it. If Texas is recruiting a kid, why wouldn’t OU prevent it? Recruiting l is also inexact. You don’t know who is 10 vs 17. Why do we need 13? What’s another 4 or 5? Even this off-season we’re talking about whether we had room for guys. Do we get two bigs and AJ? Do we have room for both Basile and BVP?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

coolmooinlou

Dec 14, 2015
Louisville, Kentucky
LOL then these folks would have to put their money where their mouth is.
Not an excuse, but I would have bought this in a heartbeat had I known it existed. Where was the marketing? Was there any mention on CF?
I did buy a couple T shirts to support him but even those weren't super easy to find. Are these products found on the individual's social accounts? Seems if there's a kid you'd like to support it ought to be simple and direct to do so. Especially for the "seasoned" fans who might not be so familiar with the technical knowledge required but have expendable funds.
LOL then these folks would have to put their money where their mouth is.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
And it won't happen on a huge scale either. Maybe an isolated incident here or there but teams aren't going to want 18 guys on a team. That presents a multitude of issues for both the team and players.
Fran likes to play lots of players...derpth is good...

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He was good for a freshman. Overall he got Big 12 FOY because of volume, also a big reason as to why our offense was inefficient.

The UNC guy didn’t think so. From Eric The Red, on WI board:

“As for Hunter ... about all he can say is "scoreboard." He's got a brick of a jump shot and turns the ball over too much. 100-out-of-100 coaches (including TJ) would take Chucky (or a healthy Bowman) over him. Frankly, I'll be shocked if he doesn't transfer from ISU after being recruited over. TJ will find someone better.”
Sounds like sour grapes. Home state kid they didn't recruit beats them.

Who knows how good Hepburn will be, but at best he looks like a nice college PG. I watched at least 10 Badger games and Hepburn didn't standout.

If Tyrese's development continues he has NBA skills & athleticism.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It hasn't happened.
It will. We will see something like the NBA big 3 scenario where a group of guys transfer as a package deal.

I can also see a Fab 5+ scenario where a group of HS recruits shop themselves as a package.
Already have the mini-version of that with the IMG's, Monteverdi and Sunrise prep schools.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Sounds like sour grapes. Home state kid they didn't recruit beats them.

Who knows how good Hepburn will be, but at best he looks like a nice college PG. I watched at least 10 Badger games and Hepburn didn't standout.

If Tyrese's development continues he has NBA skills & athleticism.
Eric is very much a Badger homer and was coping with the disappointment from the Badgers facing a real team. BIG ignorance. You can’t take seriously someone that puts the backup pg above Hunter.

We certainly didn’t force Hunter out. I think we can replace what he gave us last year though

Reactions: MJAnderson

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I wonder if Yesefu and Coleman-Lands are happy with their decision to go to KU or not?

I suppose they are considering they won a title.... but neither one hardly played at all.... and had they stayed at Drake and ISU respectively, they would have been starters and played nearly 40 minutes a game.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Too much to read here and way too many topics.... Does anyone actually know where Hunter is headed? Thanks!
OK, I see now that 247 has a story listing where Hunter could be going. Seems other guys in the portal are looking for a new start or a better fit, but with Hunter they are saying it is only about money. Which school can get him the best NIL deal, according to 247, that's all that matters. Well, he's not saying anything negative about ISU other than they don't pay their players. Which is something we can't hide, or deny, so I guess that's the best reason we could hope for, as to why he is leaving.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I wonder if Yesefu and Coleman-Lands are happy with their decision to go to KU or not?

I suppose they are considering they won a title.... but neither one hardly played at all.... and had they stayed at Drake and ISU respectively, they would have been starters and played nearly 40 minutes a game.
Hunter is much better than both.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Exactly, supply and demand, Econ 101. Nobody wants an NIL deal with someone they don't receive some benifit from, wether that be advertising or just personal gratification that they helped get that guy there. If he's sitting on the bench, that demand is gone
Disagree that this is supply and demand fully. I don't think the demand is going to be priced normally because people doing this don't fully care about $$roi.

They care about results and buying the best players get there. A good indication is euro football post oil investment pre salary restrictions. The pool of money for some people will not be commensurate to value.

People love college sports and will be willing to pay big money to make sure they get the best

Reactions: Cyclad

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
OK, I see now that 247 has a story listing where Hunter could be going. Seems other guys in the portal are looking for a new start or a better fit, but with Hunter they are saying it is only about money. Which school can get him the best NIL deal, according to 247, that's all that matters. Well, he's not saying anything negative about ISU other than they don't pay their players. Which is something we can't hide, or deny, so I guess that's the best reason we could hope for, as to why he is leaving.
Link?

EDIT: Found it https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...r-Iowa-State-superstar-point-guard-186395734/

Well we have officially built our rep as a school that doesn’t pay. Sucks.

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Disagree that this is supply and demand fully. I don't think the demand is going to be priced normally because people doing this don't fully care about $$roi.

They care about results and buying the best players get there. A good indication is euro football post oil investment pre salary restrictions. The pool of money for some people will not be commensurate to value.

People love college sports and will be willing to pay big money to make sure they get the best
Agree. These donors have also been conditioned to donate more for things with far less impact on winning. Donors pooling to provide $1 million for a good roster or $1 million towards replacing a perfectly good lockerroom?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Again, I'm not saying there wouldn't be some players willing to not play basketball and get paid. There absolutely would be. But to think that there'd be schools that would just pool 20 players together, pay them each 250,000 and only half would play is just ridiculous on so many levels.

Sure. Look at the entire situation that has unfolded just with our little TH situation. Welcome to ridiculous on so many levels. When given free reign to operate with impunity humans don’t tend to distinguish themselves in a positive manner.

Last edited: