U of I tries to curb drinking by Busch sponsorship?

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...se-of-logo?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

The University of Iowa and Anheuser-Busch have renewed their relationship, a move some say conflicts with the university’s high-profile responsible-drinking campaign.
A new four-year agreement approved this month by the U of I athletic department allows Anheuser-Busch to place Iowa’s Tigerhawk logo on retail displays such as posters and flags, and promotional giveaways like cups, caps and T-shirts.
The Tigerhawk may appear alongside Anheuser-Busch beer logos like Budweiser, Busch, Michelob and Natural Light. All the items the logo will appear on, however, require athletic department approval, and must include the message “Responsibility Matters.â€￾

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
Seems fitting considering a large % of the fan base are busch light swilling mouth breathing degenerates.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

If the University of Iowa can wear stickers that say America Needs Farmers when the university does nothing to help farmers and their own fan base mocks agriculture relentlessly, why wouldn't they sign on for an alcohol sponsor when they're trying to change their party image. I mean, what you say and what you do aren't related, right?

Reactions: CycoCyclone

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Maybe ISU could get on the beer sponsorship train? I'd pay for a couple cans.

Cyclone-Beer-Cans-Self-Opening-10-12oz-Royal-Brewing-Company_3706-2.jpg

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I don't have a problem with the sponsorship, I have a problem with the sponsorship in light of the "we have a drinking problem" at U of I efforts.

ISU on the bandwagon? I'd drink anything with Cy on it.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
indeed. The ANF decal charade is a complete joke. I have friends from small podunk towns and farm families who attended UNI or some much smaller school--who are ardent Iowa Hawkeye fans and bash ISU--some about the Ag connection.

hilarious.

And they play Bradley (Braves) in baseball for decades, until someone points out to Bowlsby a few years ago a school policy barring Iowa from playing schools with native american-themed mascots--a policy 'in affect' years earlier, so they take Bradley off the schedule

I've never seen a wannabee school more obsessed with their fraudulant image, and attempt to maintain a fradulant image

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
indeed. The ANF decal charade is a complete joke. I have friends from small podunk towns and farm families who attended UNI or some much smaller school--who are ardent Iowa Hawkeye fans and bash ISU--some about the Ag connection.

hilarious.

And they play Bradley (Braves) in baseball for decades, until someone points out to Bowlsby a few years ago a school policy barring Iowa from playing schools with native american-themed mascots--a policy 'in affect' years earlier, so they take Bradley off the schedule

I've never seen a wannabee school more obsessed with their fraudulant image, and attempt to maintain a fradulant image

And I've never seen anyone from a rival that is obsessed about Iowa as you are Jamby. I think it's called **** envy.......

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
And I've never seen anyone from a rival that is obsessed about Iowa as you are Jamby. I think it's called **** envy.......
ha ha.

ANF!!

oooh

Iowa farm land values upwards of $10,000/acre...those farmers are in a CRISIS

Thank gawd Hayden Raisin face and his enormous ego jump-started that ego-centric sham of a promo. We're all saved....... Tremendous foresight by the U of Iowa to pretend they care:twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
ha ha.

ANF!!

oooh

Thank gawd Hayden Raisin face and his enormous ego jump-started that ego-centric sham of a promo. We're all saved....... Tremendous foresight by the U of Iowa to pretend they care:twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:

I rest my case.......:rolleyes:

clarky45

May 24, 2012
ha ha.

ANF!!

oooh

$10,000 an acre??? Just had some land sell by me for $16,000 an acre.

Anyway KF brought back the ANF stickers to recognize farmers...not push for relief from a "crisis".

Back to the point Iowa accepting $ from the alcohol industry shows that money comes before ALL. They could give 2 ***** about alcohol abuse. They run these campaigns so when the statistics come out about binge drinking they can say they have a program that is focused on correcting the problem. The police dept makes bank off drinking tickets, bars and liquor stores pay taxes etc.

Im sure if a beer company's marketing dept thought it made 'cents' to market a Cyclone beer can ISU would take the money also.
But fact is it would make about as much 'cents' as running a story on Albert Gary...DJK cut by Canadian League team gets more hits, Iowa can sells more beer.

ThreeOhTease

Jun 25, 2012
This is the best of both worlds for EIU. They want to curb student drinking, so they sponsor with Busch. Since 95% of their students are from DuPage County, Illinois, and they're just duping their parents about education while attending party school, they don't need to drink Busch.

However, for 95% of HOK fans, Busch Light is more essential to their being than oxygen. This is the type of person who saves up all year to buy his live-in girlfriend a case of Bud Light Lime (in bottles!) for Christmas. These are the people Barry Garta is trying to appeal to, and they will chase after it like it's their last cigarette blowing away.

Reactions: HooklessHorns

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
This is the best of both worlds for EIU. They want to curb student drinking, so they sponsor with Busch. Since 95% of their students are from DuPage County, Illinois, and they're just duping their parents about education while attending party school, they don't need to drink Busch.

However, for 95% of HOK fans, Busch Light is more essential to their being than oxygen. This is the type of person who saves up all year to buy his live-in girlfriend a case of Bud Light Lime (in bottles!) for Christmas. These are the people Barry Garta is trying to appeal to, and they will chase after it like it's their last cigarette blowing away.

Wow... only 10 posts in and you already have talked about Iowa in half of them. You are on your way slugger. Maybe you, Jam, and MikeM can get together some night and vent. It could be really fun for you three. :yes:

HooklessHorns

May 18, 2012

I thought the new Bud Light PLATINUM was the thing for upscale-wannabe hokk coeds these days! :twitcy:

ThreeOhTease

Jun 25, 2012
Wow... only 10 posts in and you already have talked about Iowa in half of them. You are on your way slugger. Maybe you, Jam, and MikeM can get together some night and vent. It could be really fun for you three. :yes:

I'm sure I talked about EIU in all of them. I don't like EIU. I'm surrounded by you people all day long, and maybe I need to vent. Sorry for trying to have company with people whose IQ is higher than their number of teeth.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I hate EIU with a passion. But maybe they've realized that have a beer sponsorship doesn't magically increase drinking. Or that students may still think about drinking without it. :rolleyes: