U.S. Calls Out Schools with Highest Tuition Hikes

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Roughly 530 colleges across the country will soon have to submit special reports to Uncle Sam, explaining why their tuition and student fees have recently surged.
For the first time ever the Department of Education released a list Thursday morning, ranking colleges with the steepest tuition hikes.

The report lists the top 5% of schools with the sharpest tuition increases over a three-year period for several categories. By law, the worst offenders will now be required to submit special reports to the government, explaining why costs have gone up so dramatically, and how they plan to address rising prices.
The nation's largest public university, Arizona State University is among those listed, after it hiked tuition 38% from $4,971 in the 2007-2008 school year, to $6,844 just three years later.
All three of Arizona's public universities were on the list -- not coincidentally, after the state government imposed some of the nation's harshest cuts on higher education. Since fiscal 2008, the state has slashed its university funding by 50% or $428 million. More statewide tuition hikes are on the way in the fall.
U.S. says colleges with big tuition hikes must explain - Jun. 30, 2011

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Tuition hikes information should be presented with information pertaining the faculty hiring and faculty pay/benefits increases each year. It should also be presented with the amount of donations and income the school receives.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I was able to sit in on a conversation with Board of Regents president David Miles at ISU earlier this year and he actually talked about Arizona. He said the situation there was kind of similar to in Iowa, with the state government slashing funding. However, they decided to increase tuition to make up for the lost dollars. In Iowa, we've raised tuition, but not nearly at the pace of the cut funding.

I don't really think these reports are necessary, either, but for a much different reason: Because we already know that the state governments have found an "easy" target to take money from. College students can generally take out more loans, so why should the taxpayer foot the bill? This incredibly short-sighted approach will cost us down the line, but, as this isn't in the Cave, I shan't say any more.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I'm going to guess that filling out paperwork for the federal government isn't one of the primary causes of a 38% tuition hike.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I was able to sit in on a conversation with Board of Regents president David Miles at ISU earlier this year and he actually talked about Arizona. He said the situation there was kind of similar to in Iowa, with the state government slashing funding. However, they decided to increase tuition to make up for the lost dollars. In Iowa, we've raised tuition, but not nearly at the pace of the cut funding.

I don't really think these reports are necessary, either, but for a much different reason: Because we already know that the state governments have found an "easy" target to take money from. College students can generally take out more loans, so why should the taxpayer foot the bill? This incredibly short-sighted approach will cost us down the line, but, as this isn't in the Cave, I shan't say any more.

Maybe because you can't bankrupt your way out of college loans like you can for just about everything else? I hate this view that some older people have of 'well, I got mine, so **** everyone that comes after me'.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Figured up the other day at the average 8% a year increase in 20 years kids will be paying approx $70k a year for school. This is not a sustainable system, the return on investment is already gone.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
Figured up the other day at the average 8% a year increase in 20 years kids will be paying approx $70k a year for school. This is not a sustainable system, the return on investment is already gone.

huh? So first of all, ISU hasn't had a tuition hike of 8% in the last 5 years (http://www.ir.iastate.edu/FB11/PDF/FB11-065.pdf), so your 8% projection is probably too high to start with. But beyond that, I don't think you did your math right. In state tuition at ISU for 2011/12 is: $6400 (Iowa State University: Fees Information) and if we do use an 8% tuition rate increase then we will be at $31,000/year in 20 years.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Unfortunately this is only transferring the burden to an entire generation of taxpayers.... future college grads. Listen to every politician in the upcoming election cycle and you will hear a broken record. We need to fix the economy, we need new ideas, we need innovation, we need renewable energy, we need to strengthen industries, blah, blah, blah. What they don't seem to understand is that by cutting funding to universities across the country they are being counterproductive towards reaching those goals. Many kids will choose a 2 year degree over a 4 year degree, those that go for a 4 year degree might skip going to grad school or further due to the ridiculous costs, etc.... Then the universities start slashing their budgets which means quality professors get canned, programs get cut totally, other programs get cut down to bare bones, and then you have to ask what is the quality of the education that is being provided?

People wonder why the US has lost it's place in the world as a leader in innovation, industry, and business in general. One only has to look as far as our ranking in the world in education. We used to dominate but have been on a steady decline which coincidentally goes right along with the steady decline in funding for education not just at the college level but on all levels. Our current economic problems shouldn't be surprising anyone as education has a direct impact on what drives the US economy..... WORKERS!!!!

Reactions: CyFan61

CycloneChris

Jan 28, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Less state funding is the reason.

14.jpg

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
Tuition hikes information should be presented with information pertaining the faculty hiring and faculty pay/benefits increases each year. It should also be presented with the amount of donations and income the school receives.
I obviously can't speak for anywhere else, but at the University of Illinois the faculty haven't received pay increases in a couple of years now. Many departments here are under hiring freezes as well.

Increase in cost is not going to follow a linear trend. In-state tuition will just end up costing as much as out-of-state tuition. It will reach an asymptote. You're not going to see an 8% increase every year. But you are right about it not being sustainable.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I agree that we need to keep college as cheap as possible, because it's definitely beneficial to have an educated work force.

However, I still think that 6500 per year isn't that egregious. That's 26k to 32k depending on if you're on the 4/5 year program. I think it's the living expenses that are killing most people. What I can't understand or figure out are people who have no concept of how much debt they're going into during college, but getting a partime job never crosses their mind.

"My Degree isn't worth the debt" - it should be "I'm an idiot and have no concept of how the world works. Please hire me and over pay me, or I'm screwed."

My degree isn't worth the debt! - Shane Dixon (1) - CNNMoney

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I agree that we need to keep college as cheap as possible, because it's definitely beneficial to have an educated work force.

However, I still think that 6500 per year isn't that egregious. That's 26k to 32k depending on if you're on the 4/5 year program. I think it's the living expenses that are killing most people. What I can't understand or figure out are people who have no concept of how much debt they're going into during college, but getting a partime job never crosses their mind.

"My Degree isn't worth the debt" - it should be "I'm an idiot and have no concept of how the world works. Please hire me and over pay me, or I'm screwed."

My degree isn't worth the debt! - Shane Dixon (1) - CNNMoney

While I agree that $6,500 per year isn't out of control quite yet it will be sooner then you think. That and there are many universities that are already well past that amount per year and still rising. Right now it is absolutely critical with the largest generation in US history quickly reaching retirement age that college remain affordable so that these folks can be replaced with well educated and well trained workers. If not the slide we are seeing right now in productivity and innovation in the US is going to turn into an avalanche and our economy will simply fall into an even worse condition.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
$6500 is not that bad, I spend half that on preschool for 1 kid. Spending $30k in 4 years to get an education that will allow you to make twice the salary after college ends really is cheap still.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I obviously can't speak for anywhere else, but at the University of Illinois the faculty haven't received pay increases in a couple of years now. Many departments here are under hiring freezes as well.

Increase in cost is not going to follow a linear trend. In-state tuition will just end up costing as much as out-of-state tuition. It will reach an asymptote. You're not going to see an 8% increase every year. But you are right about it not being sustainable.
Fed workers may be under a five year pay freeze. These freezes are coming when funds are lacking.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm going to guess that filling out paperwork for the federal government isn't one of the primary causes of a 38% tuition hike.

No, but it isn't free and filling it out isn't going to lower the tuition, so it's just basically a game of "gotcha" for political points somewhere. How come they don't know the precise number of schools? "Roughly 530 colleges"??? Typical gov't squishiness. Are the criteria for who has to fill them out so complex they can't even tell a precise number?

I guess I should say that I'm retired after 30 years in the federal government and there are very few things the federal government does well, let alone efficiently. The good people do their best to do the right things. The bad try to take advantage. The rest get beat down eventually and just ride the train.

I guess my point was if you want to go to the school, pay the bill or go somewhere else where the price point is more to your liking. It's called freedom of choice.

Not to get on a political soap box, but have you noticed that when Uncle Sam gets involved in funding or partially funding something the price somehow goes up at rates significantly higher than general inflation? (Examples such as medicine, college grants and loans)

Did anyone read the bit from a Univ of IL professor (retired) who basically got big bucks, lots of vacation, sabbaticals every 7 years and really only worked about 4-6 hours a week?

Unfortunately the status quo of how education is brought to the masses is probably an outmoded model. No reason to have kids shipped off to central locations anymore for the whole "college" experience, much as we all relished ours. I can see the education model going more towards the Univ or Phoenix model in the future.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
$6500 is not that bad, I spend half that on preschool for 1 kid. Spending $30k in 4 years to get an education that will allow you to make twice the salary after college ends really is cheap still.

...and there are many more majors that start you out at 27K than those that start you at 60K.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
While I agree that $6,500 per year isn't out of control quite yet it will be sooner then you think. That and there are many universities that are already well past that amount per year and still rising. Right now it is absolutely critical with the largest generation in US history quickly reaching retirement age that college remain affordable so that these folks can be replaced with well educated and well trained workers. If not the slide we are seeing right now in productivity and innovation in the US is going to turn into an avalanche and our economy will simply fall into an even worse condition.
Indeed. Base tuition and fees for in-state undergrads at UIUC is between $14k and $19k per year depending on their major. That doesn't even begin to take into consideration books and housing/living expenses.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Indeed. Base tuition and fees for in-state undergrads at UIUC is between $14k and $19k per year depending on their major. That doesn't even begin to take into consideration books and housing/living expenses.

UIUC prices were part of what brought me to ISU (besides the fact that ISU was my first choice). My out-of-state bill for ISU was very comparable to in-state at UIUC.