U.S. Diversity

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
so after realizing I was signed up for a class I no longer need I am looking to add a class to fulfill my U.S. Diversity requirement. All that is currently open that works with my schedule is Intro to African American Studies and Women In Politics.

Anyone take either of those that can tell me if they are stupid, easy, worth it?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I would take women in politics, that sounds interesting.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Why cant there just be a class where you spend a long weekend in Chicago and just go to Chinatown and the Spanish area and all those little area's that are heavily populated by other nationalities to get a good idea of all the people that make up this country...I would go for that class.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I took Pysch 346 - Psychology of Women ... I think it was an equvilent a 200 level womens studies class. If the women in politics is anything like that it should be a breeze... just pick the multiple choice answer that makes absolutely no sense and you'll pass with flying colors.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Why cant there just be a class where you spend a long weekend in Chicago and just go to Chinatown and the Spanish area and all those little area's that are heavily populated by other nationalities to get a good idea of all the people that make up this country...I would go for that class.

They have that for kids whose parents want to spend lots of money on them. Its called a semester abroad. I think I took phil 235 for the req. It was my prof's last semester because he retired so the class (other than the 1 blatantly far left guy who complained about anything that was in the slight bit stereotyped that was said about anyone, even if it was just the prof trying to draw some comments and the 1 blatantly far right guy who kept up his rhetoric of believing in all sorts of -isms....they just ****** the rest of us off to the point where even the prof stopped acknowledging that they wanted to comment) was amazing and easy. I think they brought on a new prof to teach the class, she looked like she had just graduated, but the couple lectures/discussions that she ran went really well. I would definitely recommend this if it fits at all. If not, I've heard the women politics class is interesting at least. I haven't heard anything about the other one.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I took Pysch 346 - Psychology of Women ... I think it was an equvilent a 200 level womens studies class. If the women in politics is anything like that it should be a breeze... just pick the multiple choice answer that makes absolutely no sense and you'll pass with flying colors.

Would this be the 'all men are evil, lets throw rocks at them answer'? :jimlad:

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
If I'm not mistaken I believe diversity was an old, old wooden ship used during the civil war era

Reactions: jsmith86

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
I took latino american studies with Dr. Prieto. It was an awesome class. He is super easy and really nice. I have heard other professors teaching the same class are really demanding though.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
so after realizing I was signed up for a class I no longer need I am looking to add a class to fulfill my U.S. Diversity requirement. All that is currently open that works with my schedule is Intro to African American Studies and Women In Politics.

Anyone take either of those that can tell me if they are stupid, easy, worth it?

Women in Politics isn't too bad. It's not a fluffer class, but it's certainly easier than a lot of other stuff out there. One of our big assignments back when I was in it (2003??) was to interview a woman who was alive during the Great Depression. I used my grandmother and her sister, and learned a lot about them and did my homework assignment at the same time.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Diversity is the name of an old, old wooden ship.