Uber

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Have you run into this yet? I had one guy beside me at the SuperBowl that said his phone notified him of it, but I've never run into this yet.

Yes happened to me in Minneapolis a few weeks ago. Ride home cost twice as much as the ride downtown. No big deal though still worth it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Maybe it is just being a chick, but this and Tinder sound like an awesome way to get murdered.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Have you run into this yet? I had one guy beside me at the SuperBowl that said his phone notified him of it, but I've never run into this yet.

Uber's pricing only surges during high demand times, like holidays, or if you're in an area where a show or game just let out. If you're just getting a pickup from an airport or hotel, it shouldn't be an issue, but the app will always give you a giant notification of how many times their regular fare is increased for surge pricing before you book the trip.

If there is surge pricing for some reason, you can always use Flywheel or Lyft. Flywheel is basically Uber for licensed taxis, while Lyft is a bit more annoying, as their culture is all about connecting people, so the driver will try to be your friend. Calm down, Lyft driver. We'll be in this car together for ten minutes. We will not see each other again. We do not need to be friends.

Last edited:

Falselife

Jul 28, 2011
Sign up for Lyft as well. Same type of service. New users get free fares. I got a hundred bucks free when I went to Nashville a month or so ago.

Referral code for free fare:
CE749943

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Maybe it is just being a chick, but this and Tinder sound like an awesome way to get murdered.

I think the drivers have to go through plenty of background checks, so shouldn't be much of a problem with Uber.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
There is always a notification for price surges.

Not only this but it made me physically type in the multiplier for surge pricing when I experienced it.

So it said something like "Surge pricing is in effect. Fares will be multiplied 2.5x." and then the user has to type "2.5" before they can accept and continue.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
If you're heading downtown from the airport, I'd recommend the light rail, unless your work is picking up the tab. Probably $25-30 for an a 20 minute Uber ride, or $2.75 for a 40 minute light rail ride.

danrog

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle
99% of the time uber is surging, lyft is also. uber, in seattle, has a 'for hire' option (similar to uberx/uberxl etc) which is a taxi - they had to agree to this as part of the OK from the city for operating under less regulation.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Do you have the same thoughts when using a regular taxi?
What are you talking about? Regular taxi driver's are practically CIA agents with the background checks they go through! :jimlad: This is by far my biggest complaint about Uber complainers.

In addition, Uber has exposed an extremely corrupt private/government entity - taxis. What a racket they are....at least here in Boston. I've really never heard of a "legit" industry being more corrupt.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I am an Uber driver. You have to jump a bunch of hurdles before you can be a driver such as background check (local, state and national), verify insurance coverage, run a driving check with the DOT, etc. I assure you Uber is very safe, I don't drive often but if there is a big event going on or I know a lot of people need rides then I'll go out and drive. If you want a $20 off your first fare discount code, PM me or just say so and I'll PM you the code.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Not sure if Washington is the same as AZ but down here Uber is not allowed to pick people up from airports. You may want to check on that. That being said...I will never use a cab service again unless Uber isn't available.
I flew into Scottsdale in February and they picked me up at the airport. Talked to guys at the same hotel I was staying at and they paid $76 for cabb. Uber was $47. I usually tip a little cash.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
It's super simple to use, and way cheaper than taxis. I use it on the road all the time, and have had no issues.

resident

Nov 13, 2006
seattle
It's super simple to use, and way cheaper than taxis. I use it on the road all the time, and have had no issues.

Where are you guys getting Uber that is cheaper than taxis? The whole point is that you pay more for a premium service. UberX on the other hand is generally competitive with taxis. The biggest perk of Uber and UberX is that you don't have a tax skirting ******* hassling you for cash only.

Also, Seattle resident here. Depending on your arrival time you should seriously consider the light rail as a time (and money) saving option. Seattle rush hour sucks so 7-9a or 4:30-6:30p it will take you longer to get downtown from the airport via road vehicle. There are signs for light link everywhere, you cant miss it. Ticket machines take cash or credit. The train is clean and nice. Nobody will stab you.