Under the radar connections to Iowa

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I believe he is still close with the family who hosted him during his time in CR. I recall reading a long article about them a few years ago.
I believe this is true also. My parents have been Kernels host parents for about 15 years. They stay in contact with a lot of players that stayed with them. They went to LA a couple weeks ago for the Dodgers Twins series and a former Kernel with the Twins hooked them up with tickets for two of the games. They also hung out with Graterol from LA for a bit.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I believe this is true also. My parents have been Kernels host parents for about 15 years. They stay in contact with a lot of players that stayed with them. They went to LA a couple weeks ago for the Dodgers Twins series and a former Kernel with the Twins hooked them up with tickets for two of the games. They also hung out with Graterol from LA for a bit.
I was S&C coach for the Kernels for the season between under grad and grad school (graduated UG at Christmas) and I still exchange Christmas cards with my host family. Great, great experience because of them.

We met up in KC about 15 yrs ago when one of the former players that they hosted played the Royals as a big leaguer.

As a native central Iowan, living with them is the only positive experience I’ve had in eastern IA .

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
The modern plastic ski boot was invented by Bob Lange in Dubuque. Who would have thought that would happen in Iowa??
I’m highly interested in details b/c I’m an avoid water skier.

Are you referring to plastic water ski boot or snow ski boot?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
My grandma was a Swank and we always had to watch the Karate Kid with Hillary in it because “she was our cousin” lol

Super distant relation to us grandkids though, I’ve never met her or anything.
Lots of Swank's down around Mount Ayr and Lenox area. You are from Creston correct?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Stuart Margolin, best known for his role as Evelyn "Angel" Martin in TV's The Rockford Files was born in Davenport. He was scheduled to appear at two separate autograph shows I attended and cancelled both times so I never got to talk to him about it. He passed away soon afterwards so probably ill health and COVID fears kept him away.

Also was in Kelly's Heroes and Death Wish.

Also a songwriter. Had songs he co-wrote on albums by R. B. Greaves and Gary Lewis and the Playboys.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Check out Bob Feller. Hard to be under the radar as one of the best pitchers in MLB history, but I believe he is one. Born in Van Meter. Incredible career that I'm not sure many realize.
A guy you may know educated me on BF a long time ago. I agree in that he had an under appreciated career.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Arthur Collins may not necessarily be under the radar with the company he built but a lot of his and the company's achievements are fairly unknown. Things like being the only one to contact an arctic expedition as a teen, Collins Radio being the first to bounce radio waves off the moon (from a site just north of Marion and receiving the first GPS signals. Not to mention all of the space stuff.

Coincidentally George Nissen (trampoline guy) and him were darn near neighbors on the SE side of CR.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron