UNI AD to Tulane

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Weird move

Is it? FBS school in probably the best non-power 5 conference (you could make a case for the Mountain West, but I think you'd lose that argument), and also a private school so you don't have the perpetual fear of losing state funding to keep your department afloat. Even if the pay isn't that much better, seems smart security-wise.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Is it? FBS school in probably the best non-power 5 conference (you could make a case for the Mountain West, but I think you'd lose that argument), and also a private school so you don't have the perpetual fear of losing state funding to keep your department afloat. Even if the pay isn't that much better, seems smart security-wise.

Maybe, but I was looking at it from a current sports success perspective.

UNI basketbal is pretty decent and can't remember the last time I heard about Tulane BB.
UNI FB while in FCS is probably a better team than Tulane's FB team.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I'm sure there was a nice pay raise for Dannen, so it's not a weird move at all. AAC money is way higher than FCS money.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

UNI basketbal is pretty decent and can't remember the last time I heard about Tulane BB.

So he's selling high on the job. What can he realistically do at UNI to improve the situation of the two marquee programs? That job is all maintenance at this point, and like I said with funding there is definitely the potential for it to go downhill. At Tulane, there's definitely an opportunity to build.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Isnt the UNI AD in a pretty poor place as far as finances go going forward? Might be getting out at a good time.

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
I'm sure Dannen is getting a nice pay increase, plus the financial situation with UNI athletics isn't great by any means. Plus, I'm sure he was intrigued by getting to hire their new football coach as well. I hated Dannen when he got the AD job at UNI because he cut the baseball program, but ultimately it was the right choice despite being a difficult one that upset some people. He ended up being a great fundraiser which is what UNI really needed and continues to need going forward - that and keeping Jacobson happy. Jake had a great relationship with Dannen, so UNI better not f*** up this hire. Personally, I hope they just promote from within with Steve Gearhart or Steve Schofield.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Maybe, but I bet they have more money available than UNI.

And I love New Orleans. I wouldn't mind living there. And probably less crime than Waterloo/Cedar Falls ;) (That's a bit of a cheap shot!)

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

I've gotta assume Tulane has a bigger budget, but you're absolutely right. Dannen has done some great things at UNI and as a Panther, it'll be interesting to see who they get next. Then again, they've always seemed to do just fine:

Dannen
Hartzell
Bowlsby

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
Sounds like UNI will hire Iowa State Assoc. AD David Harris. Press conference today.
I'm kind of torn. I would have preferred to see UNI hire someone internally. Doesn't sound like that was a realistic option, then of the 3 candidates who interviewed on campus, Harris was my second choice behind the guy from Minnesota-Mankato. I'm a little hesitant because fundraising will be very key for the UNI Athletic Dept & the new AD and fundraising at UNI is vastly different than fundraising at a Power 5 Conference school like Iowa State. I hope he can do great things at UNI and keep Jacobson around.

ClivePurple

Jan 9, 2010
Sounds like UNI will hire Iowa State Assoc. AD David Harris. Press conference today.
I'm kind of torn. I would have preferred to see UNI hire someone internally. Doesn't sound like that was a realistic option, then of the 3 candidates who interviewed on campus, Harris was my second choice behind the guy from Minnesota-Mankato. I'm a little hesitant because fundraising will be very key for the UNI Athletic Dept & the new AD and fundraising at UNI is vastly different than fundraising at a Power 5 Conference school like Iowa State. I hope he can do great things at UNI and keep Jacobson around.

I understand Harris was the overwhelming favorite of the search committee, other groups who interviewed him, and certainly, President Ruud. Seems like he's got a great resume for a UNI level position.

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
I understand Harris was the overwhelming favorite of the search committee, other groups who interviewed him, and certainly, President Ruud. Seems like he's got a great resume for a UNI level position.

After hearing his press conference yesterday, he seems like a great hire. Have heard nothing but great things about him from my ISU buddies.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
FYI, there is a David Harris thread to use rather than this one about Troy Dannen.