UNI/Arizona St Dual Thread

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Probably why Tom doesn’t bother me. Didn’t have a high bar to clear
Maybe I’m too much of a homer but the fact that Kyven does such a fantastic job and we have Walters in other sports that is an absolute legend kind of makes some of Toms “weaknesses” kind of stand out maybe more than they should.

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Maybe I’m too much of a homer but the fact that Kyven does such a fantastic job and we have Walters in other sports that is an absolute legend kind of makes some of Toms “weaknesses” kind of stand out maybe more than they should.
If you haven't noticed, Kyven is really doing the play-by-play. Tom is essentially there to provide trivia on the individual wtestlers and ISU wrestling. Pretty much his regular job with his Cyclones.com videos. Gibbons is the Jim Nantz of college wrestling these days..

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Those complaining about the announcer, I guess maybe I’m sympathetic or don’t think he is as bad, I am curious about which have you have called multiple wrestling meets? As having done that for many seasons, it’s a hard sport to call at times.
It is not our job. It's his. Nearly every D1 school in the country has a broadcast team and many at smaller levels. I've watched a lot of them and Tom is easily the worst. We could put up with this a bit when we were relegated to Cyclones.tv, but now that the broadcasts are available to all Flo subscribers (read wrestling-knowledgeable), we really need to step up our game.

I hate bashing the guy because I'm sure he's a fine SID and his knowledge and passion for the cyclones is obvious, but live play by play is not his thing.

Reactions: bustamoveisu

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It is not our job. It's his. Nearly every D1 school in the country has a broadcast team and many at smaller levels. I've watched a lot of them and Tom is easily the worst. We could put up with this a bit when we were relegated to Cyclones.tv, but now that the broadcasts are available to all Flo subscribers (read wrestling-knowledgeable), we really need to step up our game.

I hate bashing the guy because I'm sure he's a fine SID and his knowledge and passion for the cyclones is obvious, but live play by play is not his thing.

Surprising that they were on flo yesterday. We watched on ESPN+. With the big 12 linking with them, I would guess flo would get squeezed out.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Surprising that they were on flo yesterday. We watched on ESPN+. With the big 12 linking with them, I would guess flo would get squeezed out.
They weren't on Flo. ESPN+ for the ISU duals and YouTube for the UNI ASU dual

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
You're right, yesterday's was on ESPN+. My mistake. Regardless:
A) Flo is not going anywhere. They just purchased Track and will be the primary source of info for recruits and serious wrestling fans for a long time.
B) My point is the same or even enhanced by being on ESPN. The point is, these duals are getting more exposure outside our little 'cyclones' bubble and I'd rather have someone telling me this guy likes to go upper body than noting that Ft. Dodge is 60 miles north of Des Moines. Recruits would too.

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
Probably why Tom doesn’t bother me. Didn’t have a high bar to clear

My main expectations for announcers in any sport is that they relay the relevant event information to the watchers/listeners. You're at their mercy for information when you can't hear the site announcer or see the officials at an event.

Watching wrestling you frequently can't see the ref(s) and are reliant on the announcers to tell you when there is a call--stall warning, stall point, hands to the face point, locked hands point. I think it was Redding against Biscoglia and Redding got a locked hands point, and Kyven just said "locked hands," in passing.

Thank you for mentioning that we miss the first five seconds of every 2nd and 3rd period.

All in all, I'm just happy to be able to watch the matches and should contain childish rages to the living room.

Last edited:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
If you haven't noticed, Kyven is really doing the play-by-play. Tom is essentially there to provide trivia on the individual wtestlers and ISU wrestling. Pretty much his regular job with his Cyclones.com videos. Gibbons is the Jim Nantz of college wrestling these days..
Some squawk fan tweeted at kyven that he was 'boring to listen to' when calling the UNI match :rolleyes:

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
Thought Degen’s struggles against UNI were over once Thomsen was gone. Yikes.
I blame Max, he was there watching. He was a few rows in front of us. In all seriousness, if you watched after the first match, Jarrett got up slow & jogged/limped off the mat.

"Fans" can go after him on that loss (not directed at you) but no one is more shocked/devastated than Jarrett. He has had a helluva 2 seasons with 2 shoulder surgeries, & a knee issue. Hoping for a short term memory & he goes out Friday ready to kick azz.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I blame Max, he was there watching. He was a few rows in front of us. In all seriousness, if you watched after the first match, Jarrett got up slow & jogged/limped off the mat.

"Fans" can go after him on that loss (not directed at you) but no one is more shocked/devastated than Jarrett. He has had a helluva 2 seasons with 2 shoulder surgeries, & a knee issue. Hoping for a short term memory & he goes out Friday ready to kick azz.
I really hope he sees him again at the big 12s

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
While a lot of people have been arguing lately, I see sides to everyone's takes. Am I happy with this season? Honestly, no I'm not. Some things are out of our control though, but there are still some individuals not wrestling up to what the expectations were.

125- I was excited to see Kysen go against these two. I think he would have lost both, but I wanted to see him against this level of competition. Teske has drastically improved. My faith is not lost with Kysen. Aden Reeves however...…..Whatever scholly we gave him as a blue chip recruit I hope is now being used differently or bringing in different recruits. I understand his injury completely changed his future, but this isnt charity. I'm done feeling bad about his situation.

133- I've been big on Redding as soon as he committed. Those east coast boys are TOUGH. Bright future ahead.

141- Someone has been working with Metcalf more....workmanlike

149- I slept on my thoughts on this one. Still woke up very disappointed. I understand he isnt 100% and that is holding him back from some of his offense or certain situations like being extended too much in on a shot, but even his mat wrestling was questionable against Lara. Simple fundamentals, like not reaching back, etc. I hope he can recover from that knee tweak and get back to better health.

157- He might be the wrestler who has taken the biggest jump from last year. Weird to say being the level he was already at. On a side note, ducking is becoming a problem in NCAA wrestling. I hate it. It's the exact opposite of why kids chose to wrestle when they were younger. I was looking forward to Carr destroying Teemer for the people who think they are still close.

165- Overall happy with his performance this weekend. I dont know what happened with Valencia this weekend but he looked terrible. Schoenfelder about beat him as well. I was more impressed with his ability to go out against Schoenfelder and prove he can win toss up matches for us at a much needed weight.

174- I've given him time to develop. I've been patient, but I'm fading on him. NO sense of urgency out there. Idk if its his conditioning or not, its not like he's working hard on offense. I'd like to see him have a go to leg attack come Tulsa.

184- Pretty happy with Sammy. Keckesein can go for days. I think blood time helped, but he was defending a machine gun of attacks. He wrestles better against highly ranked opponents. He brings that mean pissed off clubbing pace. If Dresser can find a way to bring that out of him every match we're golden.

197- Time to make Coleman the starter. He's looking bigger and better as the year goes on. Is he the best wrestler at the weight? Not even sure about that, but he's the most solid in all positions and our best chance to qualify a spot for St. Louis. Yonger has many more years to develop. If Coleman is going to be the man, let him get the matches.

HWT- Schultz is very tough for being a freshman. I was still expecting our senior to beat their freshman. Annoyed the strategy seemed to be wanting to go to rideouts instead of looking for offense. Rebounded nicely against Isley. Great snap to single to start the match and set the tone. He's had his number.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa

I saw that Jarrett was walking off the mat with a little limp after ASU match. I hope it is not serious.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

I thought it was strange he explained how riding time works. If this was the NCAA finals you'd have some novice fans tuning in, but non con duel on ESPN+? Your viewership isn't looking for that type of commentary.

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
You're right, yesterday's was on ESPN+. My mistake. Regardless:
A) Flo is not going anywhere. They just purchased Track and will be the primary source of info for recruits and serious wrestling fans for a long time.
B) My point is the same or even enhanced by being on ESPN. The point is, these duals are getting more exposure outside our little 'cyclones' bubble and I'd rather have someone telling me this guy likes to go upper body than noting that Ft. Dodge is 60 miles north of Des Moines. Recruits would too.
TK's knowledge of actual wrestling is amateurish. One of his favorites, "Someone is gonna go flyin'" is just stupid. Yesterday, a wrestler had a 2 on 1 in the neutral position and he said, "that's hand fighting". No Tom, it's a 2 on1.

Reactions: CycloneVet

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

Hope he’s alright!

Reactions: Crazyape22

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
While a lot of people have been arguing lately, I see sides to everyone's takes. Am I happy with this season? Honestly, no I'm not. Some things are out of our control though, but there are still some individuals not wrestling up to what the expectations were.

125- I was excited to see Kysen go against these two. I think he would have lost both, but I wanted to see him against this level of competition. Teske has drastically improved. My faith is not lost with Kysen. Aden Reeves however...…..Whatever scholly we gave him as a blue chip recruit I hope is now being used differently or bringing in different recruits. I understand his injury completely changed his future, but this isnt charity. I'm done feeling bad about his situation.

133- I've been big on Redding as soon as he committed. Those east coast boys are TOUGH. Bright future ahead.

141- Someone has been working with Metcalf more....workmanlike

149- I slept on my thoughts on this one. Still woke up very disappointed. I understand he isnt 100% and that is holding him back from some of his offense or certain situations like being extended too much in on a shot, but even his mat wrestling was questionable against Lara. Simple fundamentals, like not reaching back, etc. I hope he can recover from that knee tweak and get back to better health.

157- He might be the wrestler who has taken the biggest jump from last year. Weird to say being the level he was already at. On a side note, ducking is becoming a problem in NCAA wrestling. I hate it. It's the exact opposite of why kids chose to wrestle when they were younger. I was looking forward to Carr destroying Teemer for the people who think they are still close.

165- Overall happy with his performance this weekend. I dont know what happened with Valencia this weekend but he looked terrible. Schoenfelder about beat him as well. I was more impressed with his ability to go out against Schoenfelder and prove he can win toss up matches for us at a much needed weight.

174- I've given him time to develop. I've been patient, but I'm fading on him. NO sense of urgency out there. Idk if its his conditioning or not, its not like he's working hard on offense. I'd like to see him have a go to leg attack come Tulsa.

184- Pretty happy with Sammy. Keckesein can go for days. I think blood time helped, but he was defending a machine gun of attacks. He wrestles better against highly ranked opponents. He brings that mean pissed off clubbing pace. If Dresser can find a way to bring that out of him every match we're golden.

197- Time to make Coleman the starter. He's looking bigger and better as the year goes on. Is he the best wrestler at the weight? Not even sure about that, but he's the most solid in all positions and our best chance to qualify a spot for St. Louis. Yonger has many more years to develop. If Coleman is going to be the man, let him get the matches.

HWT- Schultz is very tough for being a freshman. I was still expecting our senior to beat their freshman. Annoyed the strategy seemed to be wanting to go to rideouts instead of looking for offense. Rebounded nicely against Isley. Great snap to single to start the match and set the tone. He's had his number.
Per 125, you can't change scholarships anymore unless there is outside issues, such as grades making them ineligible or discipline problems. Unless something has changed in the last year or two.