UNI Game Thoughts

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I'll start with the units ranked from best to worst in my general thoughts.

I. Defense
- Datrone Young good for you getting a pick when the game was very much in the balance. Has improved immensely and loved his play today. Good job out of all the corners really for the most part.
- 19 Kymmani King, this dude hits like a missile and on a couple tackles really blew his guy up, loved to see that.
- Will McDonald had the nice sack early, very quiet the rest of the outing I thought though. They did double him the whole way. Spencer Petras looks as fast as Peyton Manning so that should help next week.
- DE opposite McDonald. We need SOMEONE, and not sure if that is Zach Peterson, Corey Suttle, Blake Peterson, or Johnny Wilson to generate more of a pass rush from the other side. Mcelvain had way too much time on some plays and Sage pointed that out on the broadcast.
- LB crew: they were flawless today and just everywhere. Rose looked like his all american self, Vance i hope is not banged up. Hummel was a total beast and I thought 32 Gerry Vaughn was very good in backup duty at MLB. I didn't see Daeshawn Davis at all or much, anyone know anything there??
- DL Singleton and Lee: really solid in plugging the middle today for the most part. Enyi played with great heart and loved his motor today.

II. Special Teams
- Mevis was quality, Assalley made the key FG early. Coverage units were also good and Walling had a nice hit on kickoff
- I will never get why we never return punts. It's kind of annoying. Good game out of spec teams overall

III. Offense
- C- grade today overall. The offensive line looked timid, soft, ok in pass pro, and their run blocking was a total mud pie in white underwear. Newell, Darrel Simmons, and Downing had better be improved next week in creating more space on the interior
- Brock was good today, 21/26, no big mistakes to speak of. I love his running ability to get an easy 5-15 when it's there. Sometimes i feel he doesn't look to do that enough but maybe he's coached that way and prob is
- The sneak slip screen up the middle to Jared Rus that went for 25 yards. This to me was the best play out of the offense all day. They load the box on breece, play action, then an easy flip to Rus up the middle for a big gain. We need more free wheeling plays called like that to win ALL our games the rest of the year. An offensive play call scheme like that will get us beat against Norm Parker's D that is a guarantee. We cannot run into the middle for no gain so often, and make so few adjustments.
- Jaylin Noel he was close to slipping a couple and looks good out there, dangerous where he almost fumbled.
- Milton had the one nice catch for 30 but was ineffective today, he needs to bring more juice.
- Hutchinson to me was the only guy on O who balled today. He had 80 yards plus and was catching passes at will in the 2nd quarter. I have no idea why we ditched that in the second half when it was clearly working.
- Scates: still wildly unpredictable and not dependable at all to me. The play on the first drive where he fumbled for a 7 yard loss was the definition of an unforced error.

One thing I know about the Iowa series, the game played the week before generally has no bearing on the Cy Hawk battle.

We need to be very sound on D again to beat Iowa. To me they have Goodsen who's a very quality RB, and not a ton else on offense. 14 of their points today came on pick sixes.

Our offense needs to play next week like we did against TX, OU, and Oregon last year. Today they lacked any swag or attitude at all, need to get that back. I have conceded at this point that Campbell's style of football isn't meaningfully different than the old Vampire's style. Play the ball control and time of possession, stiff on D, and then a punishing running game. When the running game is a wet fart, we have a result like today. Thank God we won.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Just reading your post I was surprised that Purdy was 21/26. It felt like he had a bad game but that‘s a solid percentage.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Just reading your post I was surprised that Purdy was 21/26. It felt like he had a bad game but that‘s a solid percentage.
I really didn’t feel like he had a bad game at all. He missed a throw or two, but seemed like he worked with what he had.

That throw to X in the first half was an absolute beauty. I’d say that was the best play of the game.

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
UNI fan, here.

Obviously I wanted a win, but given the line and ISU's rating, I have to be content.
seems like you all aren’t happy with the win. I think UNI deserves more respect than that, but whatever.

At least you didn’t rush the field after the win like Kansas did after beating South Dakota.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
UNI fan, here.

Obviously I wanted a win, but given the line and ISU's rating, I have to be content.
seems like you all aren’t happy with the win. I think UNI deserves more respect than that, but whatever.

At least you didn’t rush the field after the win like Kansas did after beating South Dakota.

I think you are right.

Every previous ISU team would have lost this game.

UNI is more physical than expected. Really impressed with your CB play.

Campbell didn't fall into the UNI trap - in the past we would have opened it up more in the 2nd half and made a mistake. In the end, ISU Def was too much for UNI and we let that play out.

Hope you have a great year.

Last edited:

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I think you are right.

Every previous ISU tea would have lost this game.

UNI is more physical than expected. Really impressed with your CB play.

Campbell didn't fall into the UNI trap - in the past we would have opened it up more in the 2nd half and made a mistake. In the end, ISU Def was too much for UNI and we let that play out.

Hope you have a great year.
I'll say this when @brentblum discussed earlier in the week that UNI's defense was marginally similar to the bottom of the big 12, I totally rolled my eyes and thought that was a bad take. After seeing their corners and the DT today and their overall D unit, I definitely agree that it is a solid defense that they have.

On offense we just have to soften up the middle better with more screen action and over the middle passing, we didn't do that enough today. And oh the run blocking was really below their potential. I'm optimistic, time to kick the Hawk's ass next week on the biggest of stages.

Reactions: cyence

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
UNI fan, here.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but we really need to stop playing against you guys, for our sake.

You guys are definitely familiar with us and know how to push the right buttons and scare us half to death. I remember Iowa dealt with the same thing with you guys back in the day.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I'll say this when @brentblum discussed earlier in the week that UNI's defense was marginally similar to the bottom of the big 12, I totally rolled my eyes and thought that was a bad take. After seeing their corners and the DT today and their overall D unit, I definitely agree that it is a solid defense that they have.

On offense we just have to soften up the middle better with more screen action and over the middle passing, we didn't do that enough today. And oh the run blocking was really below their potential. I'm optimistic, time to kick the Hawk's ass next week on the biggest of stages.
That team does have NFL prospects.

One of their offensive lineman is projected to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Missed tackles and conservative play-calling can be fixed. What worries me is how much the O-line struggled.
I mean it’s the exact same group as last year. I would hope they get coached up into being more formidable over the next few weeks.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Don’t take this the wrong way, but we really need to stop playing against you guys, for our sake.

You guys are definitely familiar with us and know how to push the right buttons and scare us half to death. I remember Iowa dealt with the same thing with you guys back in the day.

Frankly, it would be nice to see somebody else from our end as well. Iowa State and Iowa know that UNI isn't a pushover and that it's going to be physical and UNI can really defend. Would be so nice to get away from the familiarity.

We've got Air Force next year. Going to be nice to see someone else.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Missed tackles and conservative play-calling can be fixed. What worries me is how much the O-line struggled.

Playing calling directly affects how the Oline looks. They were uninspired but physical.

I saw Downing go out at one point, did he come back in?

It was not a fun game but in the end, this is a game we usually lose in the past. I was nervous in one sense but not really with the way the Defense played.

We are in a better position than we were last year after game 1.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Playing calling directly affects how the Oline looks. They were uninspired but physical.

I saw Downing go out at one point, did he come back in?

It was not a fun game but in the end, this is a game we usually lose in the past. I was nervous in one sense but not really with the way the Defense played.

We are in a better position than we were last year after game 1.
Yeah someone said he was just puking and came back in a few plays later.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
UNI fan, here.

UNI deserves the respect they get. You guys will have 3 losses by mid October. You’re fcs. We really shouldn’t struggle this much week 1 every year.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78