UNI vs. ISU - thoughts/predictions?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
No sir. I am not a troll. If you look back, I said I answered the conversation of the thread. I have the right to my opinion and the right to express it. I don't like Prohm as some of you so now I am a troll or I am dumb. I gave my reasons for why I don't like him and folks have countered. We can go back and forth but we won't change each others minds. I have already said I hope i'm wrong, but currently, that is my take.

How did you like Fred but don't like Prohm? That's the part that makes you look like a troll

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
You like Fred and think he is a good coach but he lost to UAB with 4 NBA players on the roster. You don't like Prohm because he lost to a good Purdue team in the second round. Do you understand how dumb that sounds or are you just trolling?
You like to use examples in a vacuum. LE almost led ISU to a final four, then lost to Hampton and seemed to be a terrible person to those players. Would he have been a good coach because some players went to the NBA? Was he good because they were minutes from a final four? Or was he a terrible coach because he was drinking with college grisl and maybe treating his players like grabage? Perhaps it is in who you and ask their perspective.
Of course drinking with under age girls and being verbally abusive is extreme, but I hope you see my point. You can list a few things good about Prohm and a few things bad about Fred. Neither is enough to say one is good or bad. It is perspective.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Good lord, CSP had them within 1 rebound of winning the game.

Maybe you think more highly of Jacobson's handling of the end of their T A&M game?
Good point on Texas AM. Hurt them that their in bounder was injured/fouled out. Regardless, I respond with Prohm telling Ames Tribune he was waiting before changing his line up to what was successful and now I am searching for something to be mad at. My point is we all have biases, but I thought that warrants some skepticism. Others don't. That is fine,

• Useful
Reactions: peteypie

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You can list a few things good about Prohm and a few things bad about Fred. Neither is enough to say one is good or bad. It is perspective.

You are literally saying Fred was good and Prohm isn't with your one example being a second round tournament game for Prohm. What are you talking about?

• Winner
Reactions: Stereotype

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
You like to use examples in a vacuum. LE almost led ISU to a final four, then lost to Hampton and seemed to be a terrible person to those players. Would he have been a good coach because some players went to the NBA? Was he good because they were minutes from a final four? Or was he a terrible coach because he was drinking with college grisl and maybe treating his players like grabage? Perhaps it is in who you and ask their perspective.
Of course drinking with under age girls and being verbally abusive is extreme, but I hope you see my point. You can list a few things good about Prohm and a few things bad about Fred. Neither is enough to say one is good or bad. It is perspective.

You were the one that used the specific example of the Purdue game to indict CSP's capabilities.

Please tell us you developed a more cohesive argue
Good point on Texas AM. Hurt them that their in bounder was injured/fouled out. Regardless, I respond with Prohm telling Ames Tribune he was waiting before changing his line up to what was successful and now I am searching for something to be mad at. My point is we all have biases, but I thought that warrants some skepticism. Others don't. That is fine,

Super, come back in another 4 years and we'll see how it plays out.

• Winner
Reactions: CyTwins

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
How did you like Fred but don't like Prohm? That's the part that makes you look like a troll
I never said I liked Fred. Again,, I said something you disagree with and suddenly I am a troll. Did I like the Job Fred did? Absolutely. Do I think the loss to UAB was bad? Of course. IF you want to compare, let's see what Prohm does season 5 at Iowa State. That is a fair comparison.

• Creative

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I never said I liked Fred. Again,, I said something you disagree with and suddenly I am a troll. Did I like the Job Fred did? Absolutely. Do I think the loss to UAB was bad? Of course. IF you want to compare, let's see what Prohm does season 5 at Iowa State. That is a fair comparison.

So have you ever liked an ISU basketball coach before? I mean they've all lost games they could have won

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
You were the one that used the specific example of the Purdue game to indict CSP's capabilities.

Please tell us you developed a more cohesive argue

Super, come back in another 4 years and we'll see how it plays out.
I have used a few different examples. Slow to make changes like starting slow every season, Murray and ISU, admitted should've played Young earlier than he did last year, Purdue game, showed a story by CW in which defense was his main priority and that didn't happen. Just saying, there are points that I think aren't ideal, but of course, nobody is perfect.

To the point of this thread, I think Jacobson will be able to keep a step ahead of Prohm. Why is that unreasonable?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have used a few different examples. Slow to make changes like starting slow every season, Murray and ISU, admitted should've played Young earlier than he did last year, Purdue game, showed a story by CW in which defense was his main priority and that didn't happen. Just saying, there are points that I think aren't ideal, but of course, nobody is perfect.

To the point of this thread, I think Jacobson will be able to keep a step ahead of Prohm. Why is that unreasonable?

Just make sure you wear your purple gold AND black jersey Saturday so you're covered for both games.

• Funny
Reactions: Stereotype

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014

I don't think that you are trolling, but I disagree with you because it seems like you are kind of nitpicking a little too much. I haven't been thrilled with all of the gameplans that we have put out there either but after back to back 20 win seasons, 2 NCAA tournaments (and three tournament wins), and a Big XII tournament title in his first two seasons it seems like at worst you could say he still has a lot to prove as a coach. To say that you straight up don't like him seems a little bit harsh. I definitely wouldn't say that Prohm is a great coach yet, and he may never be, but I am in the camp that thinks he is a good coach.

Here is why: At 43, he is still fairly young and learning some of the intricacies of coaching at the NCAA DI level (especially at the Big XII level). While his game management has been fairly average to date and his teams seem to get off to frustratingly slow starts which may indicate some gameplanning weaknesses at the coaching level, his teams also seem to finish games strong and more often than not pull out the win, which may indicate good halftime adjustments.

For me, Prohm's fairly average game management thus far doesn't make him a disappointment as a coach because he is really good at just about everything else about being a coach. I have been a big fan of every single freshman that he has brought in so far, and next years class looks promising too (I still think Long can be a nice player for ISU but even if he never pans out, one miss in five is a winning percentage), but I don't expect us to be as competitive in the transfer market as we were under Fred. CSP has also shown he is above average (maybe well above average) in player development.

Frustratingly slow starts to the season, and to games may become an unfortunate part of being and Iowa State basketball fan, or it could improve as CSP continues to perfect his craft. But with Prohm at the helm I don't think we will have much of a skill/talent disparity against many teams that we play. And our players will be maxing out their talent.

Add in the fact that the man is a class act, which shouldn't be understated in the current college basketball/FBI climate yet always is. He isn't perfect, but he is a Cyclone.

Agree to disagree I guess...

Last edited:

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Big games? He's won at Allen Field house, won a Big 12 Tournament Title and has a winning record in the NCAA Tournament.

Do you think any coach at ISU has been good because Fred lost to UAB with 4 NBA players on the roster...
<sarcasm> Yeah, but his second-half adjustments are absolutely terrible. I mean, it's not like we came back from down 14 at halftime in one of the top 3 toughest places to play in America. </sarcasm>

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Also their is a HUGE difference not liking a coach and saying he is great. I don't think Prohm is "great" yet but hopefully he will be soon. I definitely think he's proven he's a good coach so far though
A good coach with a moral compass...a true family man that can really recruit? In this age of Rick Pitinos and Art Briles...yes please.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
https://cyclonefanatic.com/2015/06/toughness-is-prohm-s-key-to-defense/

Agreed that scoring wasn't the issue, but if you notice his first murray state team was good defensively, then the next two were not very good at all. Combine that with the fact that Prohm wanted to make defense and rebounding a priority and he hasn't done that, Thus, they are still playing a high tempo game without the rebounding and D. Combine that with the fact that he has been shown to make adjustments slowly (inserting solomon into starting line up last year or not switching to small ball early enough against Purdue) and it shows a level of discomfort in the coach.

I could be the only one that feels this way, but that does not mean I have bad info or I am not able to comprehend information on the subject.

There's a difference betwen having a "defensive philosophy" and "making it a priority". No coach is going to say they don't care about defense. He's an offensive coach. If you think he came to ISU with a plan to make us a defensive juggernaut, you weren't paying attention or you're hearing bad info.

You wouldn't be the first to promote that theory. I'm not sure where it started that Prohm was going to make us a defensive team, but it was probably CF.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: isu2014 and CyTwins

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
McCloud was an 18% shooter from 3 pt range last year so 32% means that you have to honor his shot which opens up the lane that wasn't open last year. Pickford has a good looking shot that hasn't been falling, he is in the game much more for his defense and rebounding then offense.

Carlson has looked like the player who helped with the conference tourney 2 years ago and played very well in the NCAA tournament the last two games that meant something. The thing with him is that he influences the game in many ways besides scoring, but it has been nice to see him be more aggressive looking for his shot.

As stated this game comes down to pace, if it is in the 60s UNI wins, in the 70s it is a toss up, and 80s Iowa State wins.
Just pointing out that recently...they have shot like **** from outside. I fully expect them to go all hokeye and shoot 75% against us but they aren't as lethal from outside as they have been in the past. Which means you can afford to pack in the middle a little more and make them beat you from outside.

Agree about Carlson. A Hogue like guy that just does all the little things

As far as McCloud- Take away the Alcorn St where he shot 6-8 game and he is shooting 23%. But like you pointed out...that game also signifies he can get hot...it just doesn't happen often.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

If Jacobson stays a step a head of Prohm, Prohm won't be the coach for much longer. Jacobson gets to the tournament less than 50% of the time and it will be more difficult now having to win the conference tourney every year to get in.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The interesting thing in all of this is whether or not we see each other's point of view. You all like him and that is fine. This whole thing started because I said Prohm is not on Jacobson's level and I don't think ISU wins this weekend. There is no agenda. There is no hatred.
You all can like him, but everyone is biased in their view. Apparently nobody is upset with Prohm and how Purdue went and everyone is thrilled with how he has handled this program so far. I think he mismanaged that purdue game and it stemmed from how he handles adjustments in game, which means, a chance at a final four and championship with kansas and oregon to follow.

So we can go back and forth for days pointing out this and that, but the question is who wins think weekend. I still say UNI.

Prohm has a higher winning percentage than Jacobson. Has one less tournament appearance in 6 less years of being a head coach. Prohm has made the tournament in 3 out of 6 years as a head coach, Jacobson has made the tournament in only 4 of 11 years.

They lost the Purdue game, it happens.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I should have been more specific ... He seemed slowed and a bit cautious compared to how he played against Iowa. My thought was, why play so much against Alcorn St? Get it iced and rehab it for UNI and beyond.
We were only up 1 at half against Alcorn St

Help Support Us

Become a patron