United Airlines Check-In

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I’m flying United for the first time tomorrow and thought I read someplace that if you are flying basic economy and NOT checking a bag, you are unable to check in online and must check in at the counter. Is that still true? Because I just checked in via the app and I got my boarding pass. Did they change the rules because of the pandemic to minimize face to face contact? Just want to make sure before I stand in line for an hour when it wasn’t necessary.

Reactions: agentbear

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If you're flying out of The Moines and not checking a bag and leaving at a low-traffic time you should be able to use the self-check kiosks in the ticketing area and that would probably be as quick as anything.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If you're flying out of The Moines and not checking a bag and leaving at a low-traffic time you should be able to use the self-check kiosks in the ticketing area and that would be probably as quick as anything.
Im flying out of Ohare.
I already have my boarding pass and it didn’t say anything about needing to go to a kiosk or counter at the airport. So I should be good to go right to TSA, right?? Im just confused bc I could have sworn United economy travelers needed to check in at the airport if not checking a bag.

Reactions: cyfanatic and I@ST1

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Im flying out of Ohare.
I already have my boarding pass and it didn’t say anything about needing to go to a kiosk or counter at the airport. So I should be good to go right to TSA, right?? Im just confused bc I could have sworn United economy travelers needed to check in at the airport if not checking a bag.

Yeah if you have your boarding pass you should be good to go. Assuming you have a seat assignment?

Reactions: cyclonedave25

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I’m flying United for the first time tomorrow and thought I read someplace that if you are flying basic economy and NOT checking a bag, you are unable to check in online and must check in at the counter. Is that still true? Because I just checked in via the app and I got my boarding pass. Did they change the rules because of the pandemic to minimize face to face contact? Just want to make sure before I stand in line for an hour when it wasn’t necessary.

Their online FAQ says no online check-in for Basic Economy UNLESS you are checking a bag. If you’ve got a boarding pass with seat assignment, I’d say you’re good to go.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Their online FAQ says no online check-in for Basic Economy UNLESS you are checking a bag. If you’ve got a boarding pass with seat assignment, I’d say you’re good to go.
And thats exactly why I was confused. I am not checking a bag, but was able to check in online.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I have flown both Southwest and American basic economy (or equivalent) within the last 2 years, and since I printed my boarding pass at home, I didn't need to go to the check in counter. Just straight to security.

I would presume United is the same, but have not done it in person.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have flown both Southwest and American basic economy (or equivalent) within the last 2 years, and since I printed my boarding pass at home, I didn't need to go to the check in counter. Just straight to security.

I would presume United is the same, but have not done it in person.
I usually fly AA and yes, you can check in online regardless of bags. But I went with United this time and this is what through me off:

Travelers who purchased Basic Economy and have indicated that they’re not bringing a checked bag need to see a United representative to complete their check-in. Once you arrive at the airport, visit an airport kiosk or check-in counter to verify your onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass. You may complete check-in online if you indicate that you’ll have a checked bag.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
And thats exactly why I was confused. I am not checking a bag, but was able to check in online.

If you are Basic Economy, you aren’t allowed a carryon (you can have a personal item that fits under the seat). If you have a carryon, they’ll charge you like $75 to gate check it. That’s probably why it’s confusing with online check in.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I usually fly AA and yes, you can check in online regardless of bags. But I went with United this time and this is what through me off:

Travelers who purchased Basic Economy and have indicated that they’re not bringing a checked bag need to see a United representative to complete their check-in. Once you arrive at the airport, visit an airport kiosk or check-in counter to verify your onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass. You may complete check-in online if you indicate that you’ll have a checked bag.

Hmmm. That's a dilemma.

It's like they're being jerks and trying to force you to either upgrade to regular cabin or get a bag. The article the article is based on (points guy) is from 2017, so who knows if it has changed???

Looks like you will, according to this lingo, have to visit a kiosk or agent. :( Handle at your discretion.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Hmmm. That's a dilemma.

It's like they're being jerks and trying to force you to either upgrade to regular cabin or get a bag. The article the article is based on (points guy) is from 2017, so who knows if it has changed???

Looks like you will, according to this lingo, have to visit a kiosk or agent. :( Handle at your discretion.
Since I got my boarding pass and seat assignment, I’m just going to go to TSA. I would think if I have to check in at the counter, it wouldn’t have given me a boarding pass already.
I’m just going to assume they changed things temporarily to limit excessive human interaction during the pandemic.

Reactions: khardbored