SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have. It sucks. Don't live there.
Horrible MGMT. DO NOT LIVE THERE!
Go someplace else!!!
Save yourself the trouble!
Horrible property mgmt!
Save the headache and LIVE SOMEPLACE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
very crappy building construction. depending on the unit, you may find your utility rates are ridiculously high due to poorly insulated construction as well as the electric furnace (and the water heater\furnace practically being outside might have something to do with that too). lots of parties out there. pool is nice, for the few months its open.

Id recommend one of the other newer complexes, to be honest.

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
Stay away. Shady management.

I was expecting to get a bill for maybe $20 or $40 tops in move out costs for wear and tear after living there two years. Nope. Got one for $400 (per roommate, so actually $1600) saying basically all facets of the apartment were to be charged the maximum level for cleaning.

Called them out on it because I knew we did an extremely thorough job with the cleaning. They then offered to "meet me half way" at which point the predatory scam was disclosed. I told the manager they are simply throwing arbitrary bills out there and hoping parents just write the checks.

Needless to say I didn't shell out a dime but it was a huge pain dealing with that after being a reliable tenant for two years.

They also like to hold the amenities hostage to save on overhead. The pool is open maybe three months a year total due to someone breaking a rule, etc. Once that happens they close it down for a couple weeks. Kind of like being grounded by your landlord for something you didn't do.

They continually remind you that it's all a 'privilege". Funny how they don't mention that when they are selling you on those amenities to sign a lease.

I could go on and on but won't. My advice to you or anyone looking in Ames is to take this place off your list.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
hows the roommate assignments go? besides the parties and insulation whats wrong with it?

You can do a lot better than university plains as far as housing goes in that area. Just about all the apartment complexes out there are better than university plains. Its worth it to pay a little more if thats an issue, as you'll end up paying it to the electric company anyways if you live in UP.

I lived there for a year, and then lived on coconino in fieldstone grand for 2 years. Liked it much better @ fieldstone grand.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Stay away. Shady management.

I was expecting to get a bill for maybe $20 or $40 tops in move out costs for wear and tear after living there two years. Nope. Got one for $400 (per roommate, so actually $1600) saying basically all facets of the apartment were to be charged the maximum level for cleaning.

Called them out on it because I knew we did an extremely thorough job with the cleaning. They then offered to "meet me half way" at which point the predatory scam was disclosed. I told the manager they are simply throwing arbitrary bills out there and hoping parents just write the checks.

Needless to say I didn't shell out a dime but it was a huge pain dealing with that after being a reliable tenant for two years.

They also like to hold the amenities hostage to save on overhead. The pool is open maybe three months a year total due to someone breaking a rule, etc. Once that happens they close it down for a couple weeks. Kind of like being grounded by your landlord for something you didn't do.

They continually remind you that it's all a 'privilege". Funny how they don't mention that when they are selling you on those amenities to sign a lease.

I could go on and on but won't. My advice to you or anyone looking in Ames is to take this place off your list.

Very good advice. I had pretty much the same problems, on top of getting doubled billed for a month of rent and it took me dang near 1 year to get that money back, once I threatened to take them to small claims court, they finally credited me for a month of rent.
The pool is open 3 months "maximum" throughout the year. Out of the time it is open, they chain it off every so often.

Our apartment overall was decent and the pool was nice to have when open, but the management was downright awful. I swear they went through 2-3 property managers while I lived there, there was no continuity, and most of the employees seemed to be freshman in college or seniors in high school and had no clue how to deal with problems or run a business.

DO NOT LIVE THERE.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
hows the roommate assignments go? besides the parties and insulation whats wrong with it?
The Management!
It may not seem like a big deal, but it is. Go someplace else and pay a tad bit more. On the outside looking in, it may not seem like a big deal having a poorly run complex by shady management, but trust me, it becomes a huge deal when problems start arising and nothing gets taken care of.

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
I lived there both when it was Sterling University and as University Plains. I can't say that I would recommend it to anyone and I would agree with what everyone else has pretty much said.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I for one like University plains, but i havent tried moving out yet. They have new management and i had a complaint over the winter and sent it to a regional manager and the next day it was taken care of. This management firm seems to be taking care of the issues i signed a lease for next year as well

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I lived there for a few years when I was in school, before and after the ownership change. I can't say that I ever had much of a problem with it, but then I can't say they really impressed me either. We had a couple minor maintenance issues that they took care of with little issue, and we got moved out without any hassle, got my deposit back in full.

That said, I moved out there before the west Ames building boom hit, and there weren't many options around town for newer properties. With all the stuff that has gone up there since I left, I would probably look to move elsewhere.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Very good advice. I had pretty much the same problems, on top of getting doubled billed for a month of rent and it took me dang near 1 year to get that money back, once I threatened to take them to small claims court, they finally credited me for a month of rent.
The pool is open 3 months "maximum" throughout the year. Out of the time it is open, they chain it off every so often.

Our apartment overall was decent and the pool was nice to have when open, but the management was downright awful. I swear they went through 2-3 property managers while I lived there, there was no continuity, and most of the employees seemed to be freshman in college or seniors in high school and had no clue how to deal with problems or run a business.

DO NOT LIVE THERE.
Haha the girls that worked there were hot though! Incompetent, but hot.

I lived with Cyclonedave and decided to live there a second year, just because finding a place and moving out is a hassle in itself. So with our new lease, were supposed to get a $200 Visa Gift Card after paying first months rent. Well, that was August....September rolls around, no card. October rolls around....still no card. We start complaining big time, still no card. Finally by the beginning of DECEMBER and many, many emails and phone calls. We got it. But then after we received it, we had to wait 3 weeks for it to become activated! Oh what a mess.