Upcoming Arizona State Dual

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Looking ahead a little bit, but was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on our chances against the Sun Devils on Saturday.

Personally, I think we have a shot, but need things to fall in place properly.

Mackall and Small need to be at their best - those two matches are winnable.

Parker, Degen, and Carr need to come up with bonus points - those extra points are going to be critical.

Straw, Coleman, Colbray, Shapiro, and Gremmel will all be underdogs and need to limit any losses to keep the team score close. I think Gremmel has some momentum and may have a shot at an upset in his match. Colbray will be facing a machine.

Am I seeing things with too much optimism?

• Agree
Reactions: OKClones

Sturge34

Oct 28, 2019
Looking ahead a little bit, but was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on our chances against the Sun Devils on Saturday.

Personally, I think we have a shot, but need things to fall in place properly.

Mackall and Small need to be at their best - those two matches are winnable.

Parker, Degen, and Carr need to come up with bonus points - those extra points are going to be critical.

Straw, Coleman, Colbray, Shapiro, and Gremmel will all be underdogs and need to limit any losses to keep the team score close. I think Gremmel has some momentum and may have a shot at an upset in his match. Colbray will be facing a machine.

Am I seeing things with too much optimism?
Whoever wrestles Valencia would be victorious with only getting majored like the OSU kid last night. Is Colbray really going to 174 and Coleman to 184? When would that be done, sooner the better if that is still the thought process.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Whoever wrestles Valencia would be victorious with only getting majored like the OSU kid last night. Is Colbray really going to 174 and Coleman to 184? When would that be done, sooner the better if that is still the thought process.

What? Zahid is at 184. Thats why Colbray is facing a 'machine'.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
What? Zahid is at 184. Thats why Colbray is facing a 'machine'.
If Colbray actually wrestles 184 he'll face the machine Zahid but somebody recently mentioned Colbray and Coleman flip flopping. Don't remember who said it or how confident they were but it was definitely mentioned.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Any updates on the thought process with Gomez going forward or should we be looking towards next season?

I would look ahead to the next season. With the focus on his health being in the right place and even just the process of getting cleared to see action on the mat in practice plus his weight still isn't in the right place. I would just stay focused on Small at 133 for the rest of the season. If anything changes, I'll let you guys know.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
As far as Colbray, Coach talked about Colbray wrestling against Zahid yesterday.

Reactions: CyBobby

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Ah! So I am being too optimistic.
Yes, too optimistic. We'll be favored in 4 matches (125, 133, 141 & 157) but none have real high probability of bonus points. 2 matches we'll be underdogs but I'd give us a slight shot at an upset (149 & 285). The rest we will get hammered and losing by MD should be considered a good showing.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm no wrestling expert, but won't Coleman get destroyed at 184 lbs? He looks thin for 174 lbs IMO.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
I agree with clonedude Coleman isn't big for 174. I thought he looked like a 165 guy last year and was hoping he would beef up and be bigger this year, not sure I see much difference from last year. May be why he struggles so much from bottom, strength and size. I think 165 would be best for him next year but that may not be possible if Carr is going up. Best hit the weights hard in the off season.

cyclonegrap

Sep 2, 2016
I agree with clonedude Coleman isn't big for 174. I thought he looked like a 165 guy last year and was hoping he would beef up and be bigger this year, not sure I see much difference from last year. May be why he struggles so much from bottom, strength and size. I think 165 would be best for him next year but that may not be possible if Carr is going up. Best hit the weights hard in the off season.

Sometimes it is difficult to beef up and get bigger when you have to stay the same weight. Marcus barely certified to make 174 this year. I think he has a frame that would benefit from gaining 10 pounds of muscle rather than losing another 9 pounds.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Marcus has a very difficult time making 174 and it’s not from bad weight management. As the poster above mentioned, he barely certified for 174. He’s tall and essentially all muscle. I think his best bet is to hit the weights hard next year to bulk up to 197. He has the frame to do it

CYF5

Dec 15, 2013
Marcus has a very difficult time making 174 and it’s not from bad weight management. As the poster above mentioned, he barely certified for 174. He’s tall and essentially all muscle. I think his best bet is to hit the weights hard next year to bulk up to 197. He has the frame to do it

David Bertolino was a dissapointing 174lb, went to 197 his senior year and did great. Was a solid AA if I remember right.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Do those other two duals that day have any good matchups hidden in there?

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Do those other two duals that day have any good matchups hidden in there?

Harvard
- Nolan Hellickson at 125. #17 ranking and a SE Polk kid.
- Philip Conigliaro is #15 at 165. Impressive looking freshman.
- Yaraslau Slavilouski is #12 at HWT. Another freshman.

Campbell
- Noah Gonser is #9 at 133.
- Josh Heil is #8 at 141. Great test for Parker.
- Quentin Perez is #21 at 165. Straw could get himself into the rankings with a win or two on Saturday.
- Andrew Morgan is #10 at 184.
- Jere Heino is #16 at HWT.

We should win both of these duals, but success will be measured from how we do in these matches.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I've been impressed with the rise of Campbell's program since Coach Kolat took over. They have a pretty solid staff with Cary Kolat, Scotti Sentes, Mike Evans and Blaize Cabell.

That should actually be a fun dual to check out.