UPDATE: Heacock staying at Iowa State per report

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
From what has been said around here isn’t he already kind of viewing Iowa State as his retirement gig?

Heacock? No. He didn't want to leave Toledo b/c he had kids still in high school. The kids are now out of school.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
I don't even think I've seen a confirmed interview with Washington. Either way, it seems like Campbell was sniffing around more than usual this year. Part of that was probably a 6 year itch at Iowa State, the quality of jobs opening up, and the huge group of seniors that he loved. All of those reasons are fine and frankly looking at things might help cement to someone that they are where they should be.

Of course, the other reason is that he really wants out.

If they offered i would think that they interviewed unless the "offer" was just a phone call and a ballpark salary

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
High profile programs may not be as interested in Campbell as we think they are. His stock is a little down right now. Maybe if he had beaten Clemson or Iowa…

For sure. In some ways, we are lucky that these jobs weren't open last year if he is really looking to bolt. And we also got lucky that Riley was a much more obvious hire at USC. And that Freeman is a rock star that happened to pick ND instead of LSU last year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If they offered i would think that they interviewed unless the "offer" was just a phone call and a ballpark salary

I guess I figure that most of the time with a coach like Campbell the schools tell him they'd pay him x amount and then he decides whether he's going to talk to them.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I hope this isn’t true. More importantly, I hope he’s not shopping around.
Don’t overlook the fact that this is the best coaching staff in school history
When you have younger talent within the staff willing and able to take over wouldn't you rather see them move up rather than move out? Especially when retirement is looming.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Could Heacock be a guy like Doc Sadler who wants to help young, new head coaches get things rolling? Maybe he sees this as a way to give another ISU asst a shot at DC while helping a new HC at ND succeed?

Help Support Us

Become a patron