Update to NCAA transfer rules on the horizon?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The proposed policy calls for: No limit on transfers with players immediate eligible, except with mid season transfers.

Probably the best the NCAA is going to be able to do, given the way pending litigation is likely to play out.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I’d be surprised if even the academic restriction stands for long. I think courts will basically say anyone can transfer without risk of reprisals or penalties. I do think, and hope to God, that the mid year rule stands. Can’t imagine the mess of mid year open market to beef up winning teams for the final stretch.

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’m kind of wondering if even having portal openings will hold up for long.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
If the NCAA had went the NIL route first instead of thinking all these open transfer rules would solve all their problems they could probably have heavily restricted transfer rules and nobody would complain. Cat is out of the bag now.

I'm sure everybody is shocked that the NCAA made yet another poor, greedy decision and now they're chasing their own tail.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
The Sith is on her third team- Danae Fritz will be moving on to her third team in 3 years. It's mental!

• Dumb
Reactions: simply1

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If the NCAA had went the NIL route first instead of thinking all these open transfer rules would solve all their problems they could probably have heavily restricted transfer rules and nobody would complain. Cat is out of the bag now.

I'm sure everybody is shocked that the NCAA made yet another poor, greedy decision and now they're chasing their own tail.

I disagree. Having followed the cases a bit, the existence of NIL itself allows the transfer rules to be targeted as now they are viewed by courts as restricting someone's ability to earn an income not just their ability to play. Someone would have come after them eventually even if the NCAA did not relax things itself first. There were always plenty of cases that were questionable whether the NCAA would grant a waiver or something, inevitably the NCAA would have denied one of those and it would have been a lawsuit getting us to the same place we are now.

• Agree
Reactions: aeroclone

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I disagree. Having followed the cases a bit, the existence of NIL itself allows the transfer rules to be targeted as now they are viewed by courts as restricting someone's ability to earn an income not just their ability to play. Someone would have come after them eventually even if the NCAA did not relax things itself first. There were always plenty of cases that were questionable whether the NCAA would grant a waiver or something, inevitably the NCAA would have denied one of those and it would have been a lawsuit getting us to the same place we are now.
I agree that what you said would have eventually been true, but the way the NCAA did it left them in a position where today they couldn't even argue. They were able to pull off the "student/athlete" nonsense for a very long time. They tried to minimize NIL by opening transfer rules. It failed and now they're stuck.

Eventually I think it would have ended up like this, but it would have taken a lot longer and a lot more lawsuits had they given them money first.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I’d be surprised if even the academic restriction stands for long. I think courts will basically say anyone can transfer with risk of reprisals or penalties. I do think, and hope to God, that the mid year rule stands. Can’t imagine the mess of mid year open market to beef up winning teams for the final stretch.
I think the academic part is in there because if you would have been on academic probation at one school, you should not be able to transfer away and avoid that penalty. Your probation travels with you.

In the NFL, a parallel example would be the free agent facing PED suspension. He doesn't get to skirt the penalty by changing teams.

Or, in professional life, if I am facing suspension of my medical license, I cannot simply cross state lines and easily startup a practice over there.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I’d be surprised if even the academic restriction stands for long. I think courts will basically say anyone can transfer with risk of reprisals or penalties. I do think, and hope to God, that the mid year rule stands. Can’t imagine the mess of mid year open market to beef up winning teams for the final stretch.
I don't think the mid-year rule will last very long. All it will take is for an athlete to take the NCAA to court.

• Disagree
Reactions: Acylum

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
I don't think the mid-year rule will last very long. All it will take is for an athlete to take the NCAA to court.
Aren't scholarships year to year? If so, and the kid signs the paper to play for a year -isn't that a contract? I would think the Mid-year rule would be harder for a player to win in court.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Aren't scholarships year to year? If so, and the kid signs the paper to play for a year -isn't that a contract? I would think the Mid-year rule would be harder for a player to win in court.

I also feel like its easier legally speaking for the NCAA to say 'your team in November is your team for the year' as a condition for competing in its league.

If anything the new transfer rules get rid of the awkward transition where someone leaves at semester and then can't play until spring semester the following year, which would make it that much easier for the NCAA to say 'set rosters in November, no changes after that' as those players that opt to leave at semester will be good to go the following fall.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The proposed policy calls for: No limit on transfers with players immediate eligible, except with mid season transfers.

Probably the best the NCAA is going to be able to do, given the way pending litigation is likely to play out.

What is magical about a 1 year agreement?

Why is a 1 month free agency somehow not oppression but more than a one year term is?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Sith is on her third team- Danae Fritz will be moving on to her third team in 3 years. It's mental!

If it's chasing money who knows what "success" is unless we open up the books on all these NIL deals.

If it's trying to improve as a player or build toward a professional career I've seen enough to know that a starting player transferring from a power conference NCAA tournament team to another is overall NOT helping the transferring player most of the time.

The upward moves and downward moves usually make sense. The lateral moves are simply adding more uncertainty than benefit on the court if it's about minutes played, production, and building pro career resume. If it's just about financial gain as long as the new one year free agent deal is $1 higher than the last one year free agent deal I guess it's a win.

Not just talking about the highest profile ISU players who have moved to Texas, Baylor, OU, etc, seems to be the case for most players in wbb and mbb.

If we get Hadley that'll be a test for us the other direction. He's already a starter on a P5 team that looked good in the NCAA, he'd transferring to another in the same conference. As an ISU fan I hope that bucks the trend but in general those players seem to take on equal or lesser roles.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Coaches need to bring some integrity to the table and not participate in that hypothetical midyear replacement player

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If they change the mid-year rule it'll officially be the end for me as a fan.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What is magical about a 1 year agreement?

Why is a 1 month free agency somehow not oppression but more than a one year term is?
You'll have to ask the courts. They'll be the ones to draw the line most likely. I'd think their decision will involve what they believe is a reasonable expectation for both parties.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I would like to see an actual NiL contract. Seems pretty nebulous as to performance requirements, payment schedule, revenue estimation, guarantees, clauses, etc.