Updated Roster Heights and Weights

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
He is done with wrestling. He greyshirted last year on the wrestling team, but think he realized he might not see the mat due to being behind a couple guys that are better than he was (including a kid from Pennsylvania that also greyshirted last year). He is an athletic kid that has a good build to be a productive DE, but he will be very inexperienced since I do not believe he played football in high school.
Like McDonald, Gabe just had a hard time putting on good weight. Being 6'7" and not being able to get up to 285 in wrestling puts you behind the 8-ball a little bit. Didn't help he was in the same class as Schon and they both greyshirted.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’m also intrigued at the DE spot. I feel like the middle with Lee/Singleton is rock solid, then you also have Will who is an All-American at DE.

Other DE’s are

MJ Anderson 6’3 275
Johnny Wilson 6’2 247
Joey Peterson 6’4 238
Blake Petersen 6’4 260
Jayden Gray 6’3 254

There are also a pair of true freshman, and I think I am most intrigued by Tyler Onyedim. Hoping he can play a role like Enyi did where he can bounce inside and out. He’s got great size at 6’4 292.
When you put it like this, I see why they went after MJ Anderson. I expect Petersen to start—but I’m not sure any of those other guys are ready for regular time at the strong side end…aside from perhaps Onyedim.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Interested to see more about Howard Brown and potentially Domonique Orange. I like Lee and Singleton but those could be massive inside one day.

I like the young end's. I wondered about Dekkers slimming down that much. 206 should be fine - but it is on the lighter end.

The biggest thing that jumped out at me was I didn't realize Verdon was quite that big, if he ends up starting along with Beau we have a couple real big safeties at both over 6'2 and 210. Also, was interested to see Vance at 260. That almost seems like defensive end size. Agree about Onyedim being intriguing for me. It seems we have - on paper - a really good pipeline at defensive line. Obviously doesn't make up for experience and time will tell but from a measurable alone stand point - they look the part on paper. Which is as worth much as a wet tissue but its still nice to see in theory a good pipeline at that position.

Reactions: isutrevman

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Interested to see more about Howard Brown and potentially Domonique Orange. I like Lee and Singleton but those could be massive inside one day.

I like the young end's. I wondered about Dekkers slimming down that much. 206 should be fine - but it is on the lighter end.

The biggest thing that jumped out at me was I didn't realize Verdon was quite that big, if he ends up starting along with Beau we have a couple real big safeties at both over 6'2 and 210. Also, was interested to see Vance at 260. That almost seems like defensive end size. Agree about Onyedim being intriguing for me. It seems we have - on paper - a really good pipeline at defensive line. Obviously doesn't make up for experience and time will tell but from a measurable alone stand point - they look the part on paper. Which is as worth much as a wet tissue but its still nice to see in theory a good pipeline at that position.
I like Lee too, but I think that Singleton has a higher ceiling.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Poor guy just cannot gain good weight. He’s going to have to play LB in the NFL at that weight.
That's small for an LB in the NFL but there's no question 3-4 rushing OLB is his best bet in the NFL.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
I like Lee too, but I think that Singleton has a higher ceiling.
My understanding is that during Spring practice the coaches had Singleton putting in a number of reps at DE. He would be a pretty stout DE (6’2 - 300lbs.)

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Deckers down to 206 on a 6'3 frame. Not sure if I like that. Hopefully he is durable are rugged enough to run the ball some.

I really feel like that's an error. Hunter still looks beefy. I'd believe 216.

The roster only gets updated once a year and they obviously don't stress much about it. If they had Chambers' height listed incorrectly for two years...

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The 3 safeties will probably be: Freyler, Anthony Johnson, and either Chambers or Malik Verdon. My read here is that Verdon would be better in pass coverage and Chambers better in run support. Will be a good battle this August. How good are the juco's McGee and Blake Thompson? Will be interesting.

I'm also looking at the second DE spot. We have an all American at one. Who takes the other one, is it Blake Peterson the veteran (would be my pick), but how good is Johnny Wilson? Who had a ton of offers out of HS. Do Joey Peterson or Jayden Grey surprise and push for time? This to me is a critical camp battle. I think Joey Peterson was a hidden gem who really got better as a senior in HS, and played some special teams early. Jayden Grey has great size but is an unknown..

Also on the DL I'm curious here. Hunter Deyo is still listed as a DL, I thought he was maybe getting prepped for OL, but maybe they like him better as a Nick Leaders nose type? Isiah Lee will be an anchor type player for us he's a stud. I think JR Singleton plays a ton as well. I wish we would go 4 DL sometimes a bit more often this year.

Overall I feel good about this defense, we are about to see some guys breakout as recruiting has been very strong. Myles Purchase is my pick for breakout player on D, I think he's fully capable of snagging some int's this year. He looked awesome last year as a freshman in spot duty.
Purchase will be one of the first corners I can remember who will have NFL size and athleticism at CB playing for ISU.

Reactions: isutrevman

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My understanding is that during Spring practice the coaches had Singleton putting in a number of reps at DE. He would be a pretty stout DE (6’2 - 300lbs.)
If you're in a 3 man front, you're going to have, at the very least, some large packages against big personnel. 300# would be on the bigger side, but it's not way out of the ordinary in that situation.

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
I think the athletic communications intern who entered these in did a pretty sloppy job….Hunter Dekkers doesn’t weigh 206.
He just said he did in the interview CF posted on YouTube. He also said thats a bit lower than what he wanted, and it'll be up a little from that by game day.

Says loosing weight helps his quickness and general health/recovery

• Informative
Reactions: JMM and Aclone

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I really feel like that's an error. Hunter still looks beefy. I'd believe 216.

The roster only gets updated once a year and they obviously don't stress much about it. If they had Chambers' height listed incorrectly for two years...
Agree. No way is Dekkers below 220. Purdy was listed at like 215-220 last year. Dekkers is taller, and thicker.

• Disagree
Reactions: clonedude

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
He just said he did in the interview CF posted on YouTube. He also said thats a bit lower than what he wanted, and it'll be up a little from that by game day.

Says loosing weight helps his quickness and general health/recovery
He said he lost weight or weighs 206? I would bet he hasn’t weighed that since he was 17.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Dekkers said himself that he weighs 206.

He looked pretty thin today IMO. Too thin IMO, and according to Hunter too.

Didn’t he say today that he got up to 255 at one point, then slimmed down to 235 for a while…. and now is all the way down to 206. That’s crazy. I think 220 is probably a good playing weight for him.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron