Urban Exploring at ISU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Okay, some details please.

We had to check the coolers in food service one night..they were running warm, so my partner and I decided to come back in an hour to check on them.

We came back and the lights were on, we turned them off..they kept turning back on. Finally got them off and on the way by the glass wall, I started counting reflections in the glass..1...2...3?..she saw them too...but there was no one else with us, just the two of us, checked the area several times and found nothing. On the way out, one of the doors opened and slammed behind us.

The Hall Director at the time even told us about seeing stuff there also.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
We had to check the coolers in food service one night..they were running warm, so my partner and I decided to come back in an hour to check on them.

We came back and the lights were on, we turned them off..they kept turning back on. Finally got them off and on the way by the glass wall, I started counting reflections in the glass..1...2...3?..she saw them too...but there was no one else with us, just the two of us, checked the area several times and found nothing. On the way out, one of the doors opened and slammed behind us.

The Hall Director at the time even told us about seeing stuff there also.

That's awesome!!

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I thought this was about Urban Meyer looking for some unhappy football players...

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
It is connected to the golf course which is connected to the rest of campus. Would you consider the SW athletic complex or the Towers (neither of which is connected to central campus) a part of campus? If so, you should also consider Applied Science as part of campus. They even have a shuttle that goes from north campus to Applied. Aside, this thread was supposed to be campus or the Ames area.

I drove this shuttle for a couple years when I was at ISU. It was a green 15-passenger van with a sign on the side that said IPRT, for anyone who might remember seeing it.

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
I think the strangest place I had ever been on campus was the Design Center. That place was filled with kooky people with kookier ideas. And, the building was built diagonally. Strange.

:wink:

It may be of note that I'm a civil engineer.

This is what I was going to say. Leave it to the college of design to build a building on a diagonal.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It's not the building that is strange- it's the people.

It's not the girl, Peter, it's the building.

14270-7175.gif

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Does anyone here watch Ghost Hunters? Sounds like someone at the university should ask TAPS to come to some of these locations and check them out. I don't think they've done a college campus before.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
What's with all the Design-hate? I loved that building and the students in it are some of the brightest on campus.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah, they're down in Dodds, on the first floor of old Hughes Hall (the west end of the building). I can't find the story (I've never seen it online, only heard it orally), but a kid hung himself in the second room on the right.

The DoR placed new residents in there the next semester (without telling anybody what had happened in that room) but they both moved out and dropped out of school after just a few weeks of class. Two more students moved in, and the exact same thing happened. This continued for nearly two years, with multiple students moving into the room, only to move out and drop out of school with little explanation. In the meantime, students in the rooms on either side began to complain of some kind of noise (I think it was really loud thumping, like someone hitting or kicking the walls), and those noises and the complaints intensified as time went on.

Eventually the problems got bad enough that they were widespread legend in the building and on campus, and students started refusing to live in those rooms. The Friley hall director felt like it was being made to look bad, so she(?) very publicly volunteered to spend a full day and night living in that room to prove that it was not haunted. She "moved in" one morning and spent the day doing paperwork with no problems. The next morning, when the 24 hours was to expire, a few students were waiting outside her door for her to wake up and come out. She emerged right on time, but her face was drawn and pale, and she had obviously had not slept and had been crying for a long time. She walked out of the room without a word to anyone standing there, went to her office, packed her things, and quit her job on the spot. After that, those rooms were no longer used for student housing, and aren't to this day. Some of them have been converted into shop space for maintenance, and even they complain about weird stuff that sometimes happens. The three rooms that were most afflicted are completely sealed off and unused.

Has anybody ever heard an approximate year for this story? That's the one thing I've never heard.

this story really has my peaked my interest and gave me goosebumps. There must be a way to confirm this story by seeing live in dates and such of students. A&E special anyone?

-keep.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I remember having class in there one year and there would be people asleep in the halls- thats not strange at all.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I

In Vet Med there is a large freezer that has a frozen dead horse in it hanging upside down. I'm guessing for Vet Med students. The cow with the cap that you can unscrew and see into it's stomach is also pretty cool.

j/k

You know someone stole Trigger out of Roy Rogers Museum about fifteen years ago. You don't think?

clonedmax

Apr 19, 2006
Earlham, IA
Yeah, they're down in Dodds, on the first floor of old Hughes Hall (the west end of the building). I can't find the story (I've never seen it online, only heard it orally), but a kid hung himself in the second room on the right.

The DoR placed new residents in there the next semester (without telling anybody what had happened in that room) but they both moved out and dropped out of school after just a few weeks of class. Two more students moved in, and the exact same thing happened. This continued for nearly two years, with multiple students moving into the room, only to move out and drop out of school with little explanation. In the meantime, students in the rooms on either side began to complain of some kind of noise (I think it was really loud thumping, like someone hitting or kicking the walls), and those noises and the complaints intensified as time went on.

Eventually the problems got bad enough that they were widespread legend in the building and on campus, and students started refusing to live in those rooms. The Friley hall director felt like it was being made to look bad, so she(?) very publicly volunteered to spend a full day and night living in that room to prove that it was not haunted. She "moved in" one morning and spent the day doing paperwork with no problems. The next morning, when the 24 hours was to expire, a few students were waiting outside her door for her to wake up and come out. She emerged right on time, but her face was drawn and pale, and she had obviously had not slept and had been crying for a long time. She walked out of the room without a word to anyone standing there, went to her office, packed her things, and quit her job on the spot. After that, those rooms were no longer used for student housing, and aren't to this day. Some of them have been converted into shop space for maintenance, and even they complain about weird stuff that sometimes happens. The three rooms that were most afflicted are completely sealed off and unused.

Has anybody ever heard an approximate year for this story? That's the one thing I've never heard.

I was reading through this and was wondering the same thing, what's the timeline of the story?

I was on Dodds from '90-'92. Seemed like back then we called those rooms the "dungeon" or something like that. The residents that lived down there were usually the quiet/recluse type. Once in a while someone would show up to a house meeting and you'd be like, who's that? Oh, they live down in the dungeon. You might see the person once every month. I always thought it was a little creepy down at that end of the hall. Interesting story. :wideeyed:

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Can anyone go down and see if 3 rooms are sealed off. This would help colaborate the story.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
I was reading through this and was wondering the same thing, what's the timeline of the story?

I was on Dodds from '90-'92. Seemed like back then we called those rooms the "dungeon" or something like that. The residents that lived down there were usually the quiet/recluse type. Once in a while someone would show up to a house meeting and you'd be like, who's that? Oh, they live down in the dungeon. You might see the person once every month. I always thought it was a little creepy down at that end of the hall. Interesting story. :wideeyed:

I lived in towers in '01 but ate in Friley quite a bit since it was on campus. I remember people talking about "the dungeon". Just hearing about that stuff always freaked me out so much I wouldn't even go into the west side of the building! "Who's that kid?" "Don't know, never seen him before. I think he lives in 'the dungeon'..."

Status
Not open for further replies.