Urban Meyer Lied About Ohio State Coach's Domestic Abuse

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Chizik went 5-19 at ISU then got the Auburn job. Record isn't a huge deal if the potential is there and it absolutely is with Campbell.

I honestly believe Chizik took our job just so he would have head coaching experience for Auburn. I think he was already locking things down before he coached a game with us.

Reactions: NDMARTIN2015

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I honestly believe Chizik took our job just so he would have head coaching experience for Auburn. I think he was already locking things down before he coached a game with us.

Plus they needed a patsy that was vain enough to come in and win a tainted title.

• Winner
Reactions: TykeClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not Ohio State ones. See the difference there?

Have you spent much time in Ohio? It is a very different type of state in this regard. Almost everyone is a Buckeye fan. And his dad coached in Massillon which would only make it more serious.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't know. The circumstantial evidence is about as good as you can get.
This. We know his wife knew about it. The text messages confirm that. We know that she said she'd have to tell Urban in one of those messages. In order for Urban not to know, his wife would have had to have kept it a secret from him for 3 years. Anything short of his wife coming forward and saying "I did not tell him, and here's why" and I don't see how anyone could plausibly believe he didn't know.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't know. The circumstantial evidence is about as good as you can get.
But can it be proven. That really is the biggest piece in this for him.

Pile that on with literally everyone in the state of Ohio seemingly backing Urban, this may be something he gets out of.

If this was happening at ISU, I'd hope we'd want to wipe our hands of it no matter what.

Reactions: rholtgraves

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Have you spent much time in Ohio? It is a very different type of state in this regard. Almost everyone is a Buckeye fan. And his dad coached in Massillon which would only make it more serious.

But you can see the difference between a guy that coached at a high level at a college like Chiz did at Auburn and Matt Campbell that has never been a student, player, or coach at OSU right?

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
So I know OSU has the money to pay ungodly amounts of money for a coach, but would they really drop that much on Campbell? They pay Meyer like 7.5 million, Campbell isn't getting that. Herman made 5.5 million at Texas, so I'd think an OSU to Campbell offer would be 4-5 million. We're paying him 3.5 million, I wonder if JP would try to match an OSU offer like that? I mean, if Campbell is such a great coach that OSU wants him, surely he'd be worth it if it's feasible. Or what about giving him a longer contract to make the max pay equal. Not saying any of this is likely, but it'd be interesting knowing what the AD will try to do to keep him.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
But can it be proven. That really is the biggest piece in this for him.

Pile that on with literally everyone in the state of Ohio seemingly backing Urban, this may be something he gets out of.

If this was happening at ISU, I'd hope we'd want to wipe our hands of it no matter what.

Doesn't need to be proven for him to lose his job. It would just affect the settlement he gets.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Plus they needed a patsy that was vain enough to come in and win a tainted title.

Bingo. Chiz wasn't brought in because 5-19 at ISU is good enough for a promotion. Chiz was brought in because he was a program insider they could count on to go along with their sleazy SEC dealings. And even then, Auburn fans hated the hire.

People need to quit bringing this up as a reason for how CMC could leave without adding more to his resume. The Chiz thing was a total outlier not just at ISU but in all of P5 football.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
But you can see the difference between a guy that coached at a high level at a college like Chiz did at Auburn and Matt Campbell that has never been a student, player, or coach at OSU right?

I know people who are grads of Bowling Green, Akron, etc., but who consider themselves primarily Ohio State fans. It is common. Like I said, Ohio is a different kind of state in this regard. I'm not comparing him to Chiz. Just saying that 90% of people from Ohio bleed crimson and grey.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I know people who are grads of Bowling Green, Akron, etc., but who consider themselves primarily Ohio State fans. It is common. Like I said, Ohio is a different kind of state in this regard. I'm not comparing him to Chiz. Just saying that 90% of people from Ohio bleed crimson and grey.

I agree I don’t think the argument is being made that MC wouldn’t take the job if offered. My argument is if he would actually be a candidate. He’s going to look fairly out of place on their shortlist I would imagine.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Rocketac

Nov 29, 2015
Ft. Worth
This x1000..which makes being a fan of any other school incredibly frustrating...I've had many actually question why I don't (and never will) fall on the buckeye sword....

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Doesn't need to be proven for him to lose his job. It would just affect the settlement he gets.
Certainly, it just seems (to me) the vibe coming out of the situation is that they are going to wait to see if they can prove he knew before making a decision. That may not be the case, but still even if they do fire him, the proving it will have an affect on the settlement as you said.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This x1000..which makes being a fan of any other school incredibly frustrating...I've had many actually question why I don't (and never will) fall on the buckeye sword....

How ticked off would you be if Candle headed to ISU if tOSU snakes Campbell?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Bingo. Chiz wasn't brought in because 5-19 at ISU is good enough for a promotion. Chiz was brought in because he was a program insider they could count on to go along with their sleazy SEC dealings. And even then, Auburn fans hated the hire.

People need to quit bringing this up as a reason for how CMC could leave without adding more to his resume. The Chiz thing was a total outlier not just at ISU but in all of P5 football.
You are right, but to me Campbell is already a whole lot more proven than Chiz ever was. He won at Toledo (4 years), and he’s winning at Iowa State even though it’s only been 2 years so far. Chiz’s 2 years at Iowa State is all he had for head coaching experience. I’m sure administration at OSU will take note at how well he has recruited at Iowa State and how well he’s recruited the Ohio Valley.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not Ohio State ones. See the difference there?

My replies to you were based on the statement above in which you stated that he doesn't have Ohio State roots. Nearly everyone from Ohio has Ohio State roots.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Rocketac

Nov 29, 2015
Ft. Worth
How ticked off would you be if Candle headed to ISU if tOSU snakes Campbell?
Jason Candle is not long for UT....of that I'm certain

But

He's also not a clone of Matt Campbell (pardon the pun) so it's hardly a plug n play situation. He's has a much more laid-back, almost surfer like demeanor; plus he inherited a GREAT roster and situation when Campbell left for Ames; so he's never really had to build anything....remember, Campbell had to clean up the mess left by Tim Beckman.

FWIW, I think Candle's best play would be 2-4 years at an AAC or MWC school before moving up to a P5 conference....he was one of the finalists for the UCF opening when Frost left. I think he needs a bit more seasoning.

Either way happy that all current and former UT Coaches are getting visibility....all good PR for UT;

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Man, lot of OSU fans looking bad on their message boards. Trashing the victim as a liar and crazy and saying people are being unfair to Meyer and that the reporters have it out for Meyer.

That happens every time, did you expect any more? Even CF would have a few threads on those lines if it happened here.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
This. We know his wife knew about it. The text messages confirm that. We know that she said she'd have to tell Urban in one of those messages. In order for Urban not to know, his wife would have had to have kept it a secret from him for 3 years. Anything short of his wife coming forward and saying "I did not tell him, and here's why" and I don't see how anyone could plausibly believe he didn't know.

In her role as an Ohio State employee and health care provider, can she legally say anything to anyone? I'm not playing devil's advocate, I legitimately don't know. Between university policy and HIPAA regulations, can she legally share this info with anyone other than superiors/police? I realize the victim isn't a university employee, but the WR coach is. The pictures weren't shared as part of a medical appointment, but not sure on the expectations of nurses.

Whoever knew should have done something, and that certainly sounds like a long list of people in this case.

So I know OSU has the money to pay ungodly amounts of money for a coach, but would they really drop that much on Campbell? They pay Meyer like 7.5 million, Campbell isn't getting that. Herman made 5.5 million at Texas, so I'd think an OSU to Campbell offer would be 4-5 million. We're paying him 3.5 million, I wonder if JP would try to match an OSU offer like that? I mean, if Campbell is such a great coach that OSU wants him, surely he'd be worth it if it's feasible. Or what about giving him a longer contract to make the max pay equal. Not saying any of this is likely, but it'd be interesting knowing what the AD will try to do to keep him.

If Campbell has another good year, JP will do everything in his power to keep him. The decision isn't up to JP though; if Campbell wants to build his own program and be Bill Snyder, and/or if he wants nothing to do with the Meyer mess leftovers, he'll stay and get paid very well by ISU. If he wants a top 5 job in the country in his home state and in the middle of his recruiting base, he'll leave and get paid very well by tOSU.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
What about the tweets stating that university officials pressured the wife into dropping charges? If those are corroborated, that whole coaching administration could go down in a fire.

Help Support Us

Become a patron