Urbandale restaurants

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
I have since its less than a mile from our house but its a really weird system. Online ordering is very convenient but you have to get your own glasses, napkins, condiments, silverware, and non-alcoholic drinks yourself. Basically servers bring your alcoholic drinks and food out. It's not perfect but definitely different for people.

My issue is that when you pay, they still give you the 18%, 20%, 22% options to tip. Like what am I tipping that much for? No one took care of me other than to bring me my food/beer. So they want you to pay full service restaurant price but you have to do all of the work essentially. Very weird.

And, as of late, they haven't even looked open? Maybe I'm driving by at the wrong times - I'm within a mile as well and that place looks dead these days. Limited hours? {shrug}

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
For Simon's, if you are going early, get there before 5:00, otherwise plan on waiting. Also, you can make a reservation if you have a group of six or more. Monday-Thursday they are only open 5-9 and 5-10 on Friday and Saturday.

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Anyone tried MinGaLaBar Burmese Kitchen? I want to get the fermented tea leaf salad there (Laphat Thoke).

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Urbandale is either Cosi Cucina or Urban Grill

Waterfront Seafood is just down the road and is good.

Johnston/Grimes you have Greenbriar and Destination Grille.

Owners of Beerhouse bought the building, good luck to them.
I have not personally been there yet but have not heard a lot of good things about it so far. Food is overpriced and not good enough to charge what they are asking and issues with service at times too from people I have talked to or seen post reviews of it. Sounds like they basically want to be upscale but the food and service is not. There aren't a lot of good sit down meal options in Grimes unfortunately. Food Depot and Uptown Bar and Grill are good but they are your typical bar and grill places and not an actual restaurant. With the new sportsplex that is going on hoping we see more sit down places and not just fast food joints come to town. I would kill for a microbrewery with food kind of like Barntown as there is not a microbrewery anywhere around that part of the metro so I think it would do a ton of business if done right.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I have not personally been there yet but have not heard a lot of good things about it so far. Food is overpriced and not good enough to charge what they are asking and issues with service at times too from people I have talked to or seen post reviews of it. Sounds like they basically want to be upscale but the food and service is not. There aren't a lot of good sit down meal options in Grimes unfortunately. Food Depot and Uptown Bar and Grill are good but they are your typical bar and grill places and not an actual restaurant. With the new sportsplex that is going on hoping we see more sit down places and not just fast food joints come to town. I would kill for a microbrewery with food kind of like Barntown as there is not a microbrewery anywhere around that part of the metro so I think it would do a ton of business if done right.

Yeah that's about how I'd describe Destination Grille, too. Way overpriced on both food and drinks. I was hoping for something like Wellman's West with the way their building is, but I don't think we'll be going there very often as-is.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I ate at DG last night with the family for the first time. The food and service was good but we only ordered a pizza, cheese burger and a salmon blt. There are some eye popping prices on the menu though.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Pour Choices is also in Grimes but I haven’t tried it so don’t know if it’s any good.
The Chicken Coop is close and has decent wings, that’s all I’ve tried there so far.
Fenders is only 15 minutes away but is pretty average.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Prime & Crown is pretty solid in Grimes for a sit down place. I've heard the same stuff about DG but haven't gone yet.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Unpopular opinion: Simon's is overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's good food, But, nothing spectacular.
There are many mediocre to bordering on bad recommendations in this thread but this is a bad take. Simon's isn't trying to be a high end restaurant if that is what you are comparing it to, look at the price point.

• Agree
Reactions: CyDawg23

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Pour Choices is also in Grimes but I haven’t tried it so don’t know if it’s any good.
The Chicken Coop is close and has decent wings, that’s all I’ve tried there so far.
Fenders is only 15 minutes away but is pretty average.

I mean to try Pour Choices sometime. I know people that say their food is good and others tell me they think they are a little overpriced too but I hear way more negative reviews of DG than I have ever about PC. Chicken Coop is what it is, decent food and not over priced just a typical bar and grill place we tend to go to or get carry out every now and then. Fenders is right next to Pappa's Pizza in Polk City and I hear Pappa's has good pizza so that is on my list to try some day.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I mean to try Pour Choices sometime. I know people that say their food is good and others tell me they think they are a little overpriced too but I hear way more negative reviews of DG than I have ever about PC. Chicken Coop is what it is, decent food and not over priced just a typical bar and grill place we tend to go to or get carry out every now and then. Fenders is right next to Pappa's Pizza in Polk City and I hear Pappa's has good pizza so that is on my list to try some day.
Pour Choices is good. The beer cheese pretzel app is awesome and they have tall boys of Busch Light.

Papas is awsome … love the metal bowls the salad comes in.

DG has an identity issue that I hope they get figured out because the building is nice. My understanding is that its own by people new to the industry. They hope to draw in people from the new sports complex once it opens in Grimes. For that to happen they are going to have to adjust the menu.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Took fam to Nicks on university and 100th in west Des Moines tonight. Much like urban grille, place is real damn solid.
Have driven by that place 100s of times and was always curious on how it was. I feel like it never gets talked about.

Reactions: Cyclone06

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Simon's
Agreed. Good customer service, which they have, is so rare that people equate it to great food. Their food is average

Last edited:

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Nick's had really gone downhill over the last couple of years. They have new management, so nice to hear it has gotten better.
Interesting. Had probably been at least 5 years since I’ve been. But yeah it was good for sure. I did think it was a light crowd for a Friday night.