Urbandale restaurants

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Chicken Coop is a bit more casual then you're describing but food is solid.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
-Cosi Cucina is great, love their ziti
-Flying Mango has good bbq, around 8-10 minutes away
-Chicago Speakeasy has great steaks, burgers, sandwiches and salad bar. Honestly would go here just for the salad bar. Around 10-12 minutes away

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
-Chicago Speakeasy has great steaks, burgers, sandwiches and salad bar. Honestly would go here just for the salad bar. Around 10-12 minutes away
Speakeasy is awesome, didn't consider that far east as an option.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Thanks for the input, sounds like Urban Grill gets the most attention, I'll give it a try! Not a Pizza occasion.

Reactions: Cyclone06

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
There really are not "great" places to eat in Urbandale sadly. Most of them are either more bar and grill or chain places. I run into this all the time living in Grimes I would rather just drive to Johnston or Urbandale to eat but we usually wind up somewhere in West Des Moines or closer to downtown most of the time.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
the Ziti Cucina at Cosi might be my favorite restaurant dish. It is delicious.

Chicago Speakeasy is great too. They are known for their prime rib and the salad bar is great (like you mentioned)

Simon's is another great place but is really small. The food is great and Simon is so friendly.

Reactions: baller21

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
the Ziti Cucina at Cosi might be my favorite restaurant dish. It is delicious.

Chicago Speakeasy is great too. They are known for their prime rib and the salad bar is great (like you mentioned)

Simon's is another great place but is really small. The food is great and Simon is so friendly.
Simon did add seating to wait but not additional dining seating. He's a great guy, you can tell he honestly cares.

Reactions: ScottyP

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Haven't tried Beer House since they renovated but holy crap that renovation had them closed for a LONG time and been seeing people complain about their new ordering system where you basically have to serve yourself it sounds like. Would not be surprised if that place closes if that keeps up and I hate to see local places close so I am not rooting for it. But it just amazes me in the age of online reviews how some of these places don't read those and make adjustments as those reviews can make or break you these days. I get there will always be some crazy reviews that weren't deserved but if you look them up right now on Google there is a good string of bad reviews recently and you'd think if you wanted to stay in business you'd start taking some of those to heart and adjusting how you run your business.

I'd drive by there once a week and their sign kept moving the re-open date back during renovations and I would joke that maybe they should have signed up for Restaurant Impossible and had Robert Irvine come flip it in 48 hours. LOL I don't think he's ever done an episode in Iowa yet and there are surely some places in town struggling that would make for a good episode I bet.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Haven't tried Beer House since they renovated but holy crap that renovation had them closed for a LONG time and been seeing people complain about their new ordering system where you basically have to serve yourself it sounds like. Would not be surprised if that place closes if that keeps up and I hate to see local places close so I am not rooting for it. But it just amazes me in the age of online reviews how some of these places don't read those and make adjustments as those reviews can make or break you these days. I get there will always be some crazy reviews that weren't deserved but if you look them up right now on Google there is a good string of bad reviews recently and you'd think if you wanted to stay in business you'd start taking some of those to heart and adjusting how you run your business.

I'd drive by there once a week and their sign kept moving the re-open date back during renovations and I would joke that maybe they should have signed up for Restaurant Impossible and had Robert Irvine come flip it in 48 hours. LOL I don't think he's ever done an episode in Iowa yet and there are surely some places in town struggling that would make for a good episode I bet.

I bet a lot of the issue was getting stuff and people during covid to do the work, and then they let it sit until people started going out again.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I have since its less than a mile from our house but its a really weird system. Online ordering is very convenient but you have to get your own glasses, napkins, condiments, silverware, and non-alcoholic drinks yourself. Basically servers bring your alcoholic drinks and food out. It's not perfect but definitely different for people.

My issue is that when you pay, they still give you the 18%, 20%, 22% options to tip. Like what am I tipping that much for? No one took care of me other than to bring me my food/beer. So they want you to pay full service restaurant price but you have to do all of the work essentially. Very weird.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Urbandale is either Cosi Cucina or Urban Grill

Waterfront Seafood is just down the road and is good.

Johnston/Grimes you have Greenbriar and Destination Grille.

Owners of Beerhouse bought the building, good luck to them.