Macomb, MI
Well, yeah. ISU was basically the Cobra Kais of this coaching carousel:

"Strike first; strike hard; no mercy"

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I think they should swap Memphis's new HC and Scott Frost at UCF. I see UCF having more successful with Florida recruits in an Oregon like offense. If Memphis loses their QB this season, I see it being a hard road for a young first time HC.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think Fuente was over rated. Way too much hype for 1 big win.
Richt is a great coach, very good hire for Miami.
I didn't know Fritz was hired away from GSU.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Lets just say that I was relatively neutral on the hire at first, but as time has gone on, I've come to realize a lot more of why Pollard made the decisions he did, and I've also come to love the hire more and more. For the record, I was never against it, it was simply more an insufficient data reaction rather than a solid "Oh no!!!" or home run type deal.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Main thing I learned in this article is that Kirby Smarts wife is quite the MILF.

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
I think Fuente was over rated. Way too much hype for 1 big win.
Richt is a great coach, very good hire for Miami.
I didn't know Fritz was hired away from GSU.

The article said Fritz was hired to Tulane by new athletic director Troy Dannen.
I thought that AD's name sounded familiar so I looked it up. He used to be UNI's AD until very recently and upgraded to Tulane.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Lets just say that I was relatively neutral on the hire at first, but as time has gone on, I've come to realize a lot more of why Pollard made the decisions he did, and I've also come to love the hire more and more. For the record, I was never against it, it was simply more an insufficient data reaction rather than a solid "Oh no!!!" or home run type deal.

Its ok... Jamie isn't on here.

ICHawk24

Sep 8, 2010
I agree with the A for ISU.

Illinois should be incomplete. Their entire leadership is interim (chancellor, provost, vice provost, AD). There was no one with the political authority to perform a national coaching search nor the ability to hand out a large contract. And what kind of coach would even want to join a school in such turmoil?

They did punt for a year, when there should be permanent hires in leadership positions that are able to make a long term choice.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The article suggests it knows more about coaching than professionals managing these schools. It makes for interesting reading, little else. I certainly didn't need USA Today to tell me ISU made a good hire.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Is it correct that BYU requires the head FB coach to be an active member of the Mormon faith?

It's a private institution, but even then I didn't know you could require that, legally. I don't think Catholic schools can require employees to be Catholic (could be wrong, not an area of law I am familiar with). Do BYU require that of all faculty and staff?

Second, if it is legal, why self-limit your candidate pool that way? As long as the guy wasn't scandalous or anti-church. And I could see it being helpful to relate to the players better as a bonus. But why just eliminate like 90% of applicants out of hand?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Is it correct that BYU requires the head FB coach to be an active member of the Mormon faith?

It's a private institution, but even then I didn't know you could require that, legally. I don't think Catholic schools can require employees to be Catholic (could be wrong, not an area of law I am familiar with). Do BYU require that of all faculty and staff?

Second, if it is legal, why self-limit your candidate pool that way? As long as the guy wasn't scandalous or anti-church. And I could see it being helpful to relate to the players better as a bonus. But why just eliminate like 90% of applicants out of hand?

My understanding of this stuff says you may have just answered your own question right there: it's a private institution. It can do whatever it wants, however it wants, because it doesn't depend on tax dollars to operate... I think.

ICHawk24

Sep 8, 2010
My understanding of this stuff says you may have just answered your own question right there: it's a private institution. It can do whatever it wants, however it wants, because it doesn't depend on tax dollars to operate... I think.

A private institution doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. Drake can't refuse to hire blacks.