Used Car Dealership Reccomendations

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
I need to find a car that's well on the cheap end of things. I'm not from around here and was wondering what your guys' experiences were with some of the dealerships around here were. Basically who has the reputation of selling a good product, who can be kind of a *****, etc. I thought I'd look here to check some prices and compare them to back home.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Re: Used Car DealershipReccomendations

Never have had to buy a used car from a dealer but if you can I'd recommend taking it to a mechanic to get looked over before you buy something.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

I recommend Ames Cars. But then again, I'm biased because I work there. For lower priced cars, most of the stores in Ames are pretty safe quality wise with the exception of some of the back row stuff at George White. If they start to act like ******** or start trying to run you through the grinder, just get up and leave.

We're easy to deal with and are a one price store so you don't have the pressure of being a good haggler - unless you're a Hawkeye fan. Hawkeye fans get charged extra.

Iowa65

Dec 7, 2008
Ames, Iowa

George White has a 1988 Volvo 240 priced at about 6x book value right now if you're interested, haha.

Amescars is great. Probably the only interesting inventory that I've seen reasonably priced in town, but I'm biased since I like european cars. I just sold a really nice used car to someone, so you're about a week late.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006

If you are in Des Moines, I recommend you stay away from Charles Gabus Ford. I had good luck at Toyota of Des Moines.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

My first recommendation is to buy it from an actual owner. They don't need to make money on a car so they don;t have to try and polish a te**.

My other experience has been that most used car only dealers have questionable cars as apposed to new car dealers. This has just been from what I've seen in the past from places like Car City.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I'll second the AmesCars. They're ISU guys and easy to talk with.

Secondly, try mightygoodcars.com. They're located in Polk City and have a variety of cars below book value. I've bought on from there as has someone I work with. They have the best deals that I've found (not even close).

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

If you are in Des Moines, I recommend you stay away from Charles Gabus Ford. I had good luck at Toyota of Des Moines.

You may or may not know it. But those two stores have the same owner.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

My first recommendation is to buy it from an actual owner. They don't need to make money on a car so they don;t have to try and polish a te**.

My other experience has been that most used car only dealers have questionable cars as apposed to new car dealers. This has just been from what I've seen in the past from places like Car City.

Your concern with Car City is well founded.

rhlentz

Nov 27, 2006
Ames, IA
doesn't mighty good cars fix cars that have been damaged pretty severely and that is why they sell them cheap? not sure if this is true but i heard it somewhere

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
doesn't mighty good cars fix cars that have been damaged pretty severely and that is why they sell them cheap? not sure if this is true but i heard it somewhere

They would have to disclose this with a salvage title though...right?

Help Support Us

Become a patron