Used Cars- SUV edition

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
We're in the market for a used (new to us) vehicle. Wife drives a 2012 Malibu and wants upgrade to an SUV to haul the 14 month old. I have researched a little bit with a Rogue, Murano, Equinox, and Santa Fe. Who has good or bad experiences they can share with any make/model SUV? She is opposed to another car or a minivan.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We have a 2011 equinox and really like it but will be upgrading to a van as we get closer to having another kid. Very reliable other than a cam shaft position sensor that went bad and seems to be a popular issue with them. Other than that we love it.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
We're in the market for a used (new to us) vehicle. Wife drives a 2012 Malibu and wants upgrade to an SUV to haul the 14 month old. I have researched a little bit with a Rogue, Murano, Equinox, and Santa Fe. Who has good or bad experiences they can share with any make/model SUV? She is opposed to another car or a minivan.

If you're having another kid, you might as well get the van.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I drive a 2012 Ford Escape and absolutely love it. Still wish I could have gotten the Limited model I was looking at (I wanted the leather interior, and it came in black), but the XLT I ended up with was a better deal (1 model year newer and fewer miles for roughly the same money) and is still awesome. Solid gas mileage, reliable in the winter. If you plan on towing anything big, though, I wouldn't recommend it (I don't tow anything, but I wouldn't do much more than a light trailer with it).

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Whichever one you get, make sure you bring your kid crap along with to make sure it will all fit in. Bought the wife Mazda CX-5 (0% financing, lay off me, cash-only types), which is a great little SUV. However, at that time, we were just pregnant and didn't really appreciate how much stinkin' room the car seat and stroller will take up.

Compounding the issue is my height - I'm 6'2", and the seat in front of the car seat has to be jacked way forward. Not an issue for my wife (5'7"), but it's her car, so she drives it mostly.

On a recent trip, we were rented a RAV4, which had a TON of space in it. Kind of wish my wife didn't have Toyota hate and that we would have looked at it.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I would stay away from the Equinox. I think they are pretty nicely laid out, but GM still has a lot of reliability issues, as noted above. I have an Escape Hybrid that is okay, but the storage in it is pretty limited, and the ride isn't the best. Subarus are pretty well made and the newer ones are much better on gas. I don't know much about the Jeeps, but they have redesigned the exteriors a lot, and they are at least nicer to look at.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I wouldn't consider the CRV, escape, equinox, or the jeep patriot/compass, etc. We got one and felt like we outgrew it after one kid a year later.

I think a Kia Sorento or Ford Edge sized vehicle would be better. Still not a mammoth 7 passenger vehicle, but wider and more roomy than the compact SUVs I mentioned earlier.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I got my wife a 2013 Equinox and it works fine for us. My kids are 13 & 9, so it spends much of the time with sporting equipment in the back as we are running kids to various activities.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
My wife drives a Traverse. It has been great. 95,000 miles. No issues. Lots of room and flexibility. Second row leg room beat all the rest when we were buying.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Toyota can do anything.

images