Utilities in Ankeny

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
I am moving to a house in Ankeny and would like to know if anyone can give me info on what an average utility bill would be. In my apartment in Des Moines I currently have about a 70 dollar bill for electricity a month, and then about 20 dollars between gas/water/sewer and then 5 dollars a month from my apartment for waste/snow removal. I am expecting the costs to go up in a house, but I would like to have a better idea of how much.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I am moving to a house in Ankeny and would like to know if anyone can give me info on what an average utility bill would be. In my apartment in Des Moines I currently have about a 70 dollar bill for electricity a month, and then about 20 dollars between gas/water/sewer and then 5 dollars a month from my apartment for waste/snow removal. I am expecting the costs to go up in a house, but I would like to have a better idea of how much.

Our house is a tad under 1600 square feet, just the wife and I, and last year we paid an average of $135/month for DirecTV and internet, $13/month for garbage, $160/month for gas and electric, and $65/month for water and recycling.

Last edited:

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Don't move to the way NE side, the gas company is a Co op and extra expensive

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Our house is a tad under 1600 square feet, just the wife and I, and last year we paid an average of $135/month for DirecTV and internet, $13/month for garbage, $160/month for gas and electric, and $65/month for water and recycling.

Thank you!

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If you are purchasing (or considering purchasing) a house you can contact utility company or ask owner to get a 3 year history. I can't remember the details but I know I saw one when I bought my last house in CR 5 years ago.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
When we lived in an interior 1600 ft^2 townhouse we never got above $100 month for gas and electric.
Now in a 2600 ft^2 2 story with unit in the basement and no mature trees or even houses that close to shelter us and we are always over $200

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale

It's actually the electric company, not gas, but I second this. We live in NE Ankeny and our electricity bill alone from July - Sep is consistently in the $200 - $220 range for a 2600 sqft house. Served by Consumer's Energy Coop in Marshalltown.

MidAmerican for gas, which is usually between $20 (summer) and $150 (winter)

City of Ankeny supplies water, pretty consistently $50/month, except sometimes in the summer if were doing extra watering when they jack the rate up, it can get north of $100.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

It's actually the electric company, not gas, but I second this. We live in NE Ankeny and our electricity bill alone from July - Sep is consistently in the $200 - $220 range for a 2600 sqft house. Served by Consumer's Energy Coop in Marshalltown.
Wait a minute. I thought co-ops were ALWAYS better than the evil, investor-owned utility. :plaugh:

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I would not expect a significant change unless your usage change. The providers are mostly the same, and the rates should be very close. I'm not familiar with the city of des moines' water rates, but Ankeny gets their actual water from des moines if I remember right. That being said one of the earlier posters pointed out that Consumers Energy out of marshaltown covers some of the very far northwest corner of Ankeny but I'm pretty sure it's electricity. The rates have historically been higher than many people expect when they move in. Your realtor or landlord should know. They will be more expensive. There are some areas in west/southwest Ankeny where I think that Black Hills energy is an option for natural gas. no clue on their rates.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa

MidAmerican for gas, which is usually between $20 (summer) and $150 (winter)

City of Ankeny supplies water, pretty consistently $50/month, except sometimes in the summer if were doing extra watering when they jack the rate up, it can get north of $100.

Knew it was something. We're planning on building a new house soon and ib recuse to look at lots up there. We have frowns that ate spending an extra $100-150 a month just because of the Co op. That's a lot of extra house you could get instead.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Knew it was something. We're planning on building a new house soon and ib recuse to look at lots up there. We have frowns that ate spending an extra $100-150 a month just because of the Co op. That's a lot of extra house you could get instead.

I can tell you almost precisely where the split is between MidAmerican and Consumers. A few years ago I bought a house in that area and then, in a panic, remembered this issue. Did some research and figured out I was on the MidAmerican side, by about 100 yards.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I can tell you almost precisely where the split is between MidAmerican and Consumers. A few years ago I bought a house in that area and then, in a panic, remembered this issue. Did some research and figured out I was on the MidAmerican side, by about 100 yards.

Does anyone know the reason for the split? Or if there are any plans for midamerican to take over the area?

JerseyGirl

Jun 12, 2013
Central Iowa
Service territories are set by the Iowa Utilities Board. Most rural areas get their electric from co-ops but as the City of Ankeny keeps annexing their boundaries are now in Consumers' service area.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Service territories are set by the Iowa Utilities Board. Most rural areas get their electric from co-ops but as the City of Ankeny keeps annexing their boundaries are now in Consumers' service area.

Do you work in that department? Since I'll probably be moving up there within the year, it would be nice to know if there are any plans to redraw the boundaries

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
If you are purchasing (or considering purchasing) a house you can contact utility company or ask owner to get a 3 year history. I can't remember the details but I know I saw one when I bought my last house in CR 5 years ago.

This is probably your best bet. You can get the utilities info for any house you're looking at purchasing minus new construction and in that case, the Utility companies should be able to give you comparables for that style/construction of house in that area. This is your best bet rather than trying to compare what you're looking at to what people on here have for their house. Not that their info is bad, it's just you'll find better info from the previous owner of the house you're looking at.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
For those that do have MidAmerican, I'd be curious what your 12 month average of electricity/gas through MidAmerican is, to see how the cost compares. Our average over the last 12 months was $225/month, with Consumer's/MidAmerican. $168 of that is electricity. We have around 2600 sqft.

JerseyGirl

Jun 12, 2013
Central Iowa
No-I do allot of work with MidAmerican with my job with the County. I cannot remember hearing the Iowa Utilities Board considering re-routing service areas. It's not like they (coops and MidAm) share the same transmission lines, so there would be infra structure to establish. (and the last time I checked, I didn't see Warren Buffet doing this out of the goodness
of his heart...) Contract both and request their service area maps. BTW, a good real estate agent should know this too. Good luck.

JerseyGirl

Jun 12, 2013
Central Iowa
For those that do have MidAmerican, I'd be curious what your 12 month average of electricity/gas through MidAmerican is, to see how the cost compares. Our average over the last 12 months was $225/month, with Consumer's/MidAmerican. $168 of that is electricity. We have around 2600 sqft.

I live on a smaller footprint with a very energy efficient home and pay, on average $135 a month. BTW, MidAm has another electric rate increase coming up....