VANDERBEKEN MAY REDSHIRT

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Any talk of Gilstrap's extra year is ridiculous. Do you think he is going to stay when Craig leaves? I don't.

I honestly don't know what to think about it. I don't think he'll get drafted any higher than Craig though and he's not exactly looking like a sure-fire 1st rounder these days. Can he get a sixth year if he transfers again? I doubt it. The only way he's gone is if he doesn't get his year from the NCAA or he's really desperate to make money and is offered by an international team. I don't think he'll exactly jump at leaving the country with his family situation if he still thinks he's got a shot at the NBA by sticking around. Actually, saying all that, I do think Gilstrap staying solely hinges on the NCAA.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Why? Its not like they are lifelong best friends or something. Besides, nothing would help MGs draft stock more than another year of seasoning and a year as the clear cut #1 option offensively.
You're forgetting it's not totally in his hands...NCAA has to rule first.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
You're forgetting it's not totally in his hands...NCAA has to rule first.

No, I am not forgetting that at all.

I was responding directly to a post that said any talk of MG's extra year is ridiculous because he won't come back if Brackins leaves.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
With Gilstrap, won't he have the same problem that Dace Richardson had with Iowa? If he can't apply for the extra year until after spring semester, then won't he have to make his NBA decision before then? If this is still up in the air, I think it would be difficult to trust that the NCAA will give him an extra year and not declare for the NBA.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If it doesn't matter to you, then why even open the thread. Maybe you could just go join the Hawkeyes in their complete disregard of anything basketball so others can actually discuss this team without having to deal with your whining.

Yes, because nobody posts on message boards about things that don't matter.:jimlad:
I honestly don't think who transfers or redshirts will ultimately matter for Mac at ISU. It's just my opinion. My opinion is formed more from the on the court performance than the off the court stuff.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
What are your sources saying about the past 2 days events....the feeling like the wheels are about to fall off?

Sorry, missed the last question the first time. There are issues that need to be resolved.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sorry, missed the last question the first time. There are issues that need to be resolved.

I guess the big question is then......is someone willing to resolve these issues?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What do you mean?

Just hoping that there are enough players that still care to make it work. If you've read stuff on here the last day or so, you'd believe that they all hate eachother, they all would rather be anywhere other than Ames, and that half of them aren't coming back to Ames after the trip. :)

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Just hoping that there are enough players that still care to make it work. If you've read stuff on here the last day or so, you'd believe that they all hate eachother, they all would rather be anywhere other than Ames, and that half of them aren't coming back to Ames after the trip. :)

I'll give you this much...most of the players are back to being a team. I maintain there are still issues to be resolved.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
John Walters said this morning on KASI that the article is wrong - JVB is not redshirting.

I like JVB, but I don't think he's going to help us by redshirting. Being 6'10'' he doesn't rebound or have a presence around the basket. His best role on this team would be on the floor with Brackins. His defender would have respect his 3pt shot, thus clearing out lane for Brackins. Otherwise JVB doesn't bring much offensively or defensively. Not tyring to be harsh, just saying if we're going to have more 6'10'' players on this team, they need to play like it.