VB youth movement

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Heading into this season, I was excited abou the strength of the recruiting class the last 2 years. Now that the season is here, my enthusiasm for this team is growing. Against UNI, CJL used 2 freshman and 3 sophomores to go with 1 junior and 2 seniors. And there are 2 more freshman on the bench. Really nice balance, and the girls did their thing.

Given their play against UNI, in a sold out UNI gym, helped to show this team's potential, and the skill and capabilities of the freshman. I think they deserve their own thread because they are off to a great start and contributing big time to the team.

Of course, with youth can come some inconsistency as they adjust to a new level of play, but the team is off to a 4-1 start (I'm including the SD game); I am sure they would like to have the Oregon State game back - but the season is still young. We will learn a bit more this weekend at the Montana Invitational, where the opposition is a mixed bag. Gonzaga twice lost in 4 sets to UCLA which is now ranked 10th but that has been their only opponent; they are therefore a bit of an unknown going into this t'ment. The host Grizzlies are 0-3, losing to Akron 2-3, Cal State Fullerton 0-3 and UC Riverside 1-3. On the other hand, the Utes are currently ranked #22, beating UC Irvine 3-0 and Denver 3-2 while losing to Saint Mary's (the California version) 3-2. I am more concerned about the Gonzaga game than the Ute game.

• Informative
Reactions: cloneatlaw

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
The level of club player they are getting is pretty good. I can't remember which freshman said something like..."the level of competition isn't anything new or surprising to me" That is the type of player we need and want. Things are looking good so far it will be interesting to see what level they are at in January and if the frosh can sustain energy levels through the NCAA's. We need another mid to high level non conference scalp and if we play as fast as we did at UNI we will get it. Avery Rhodes SO was up and down before the block even formed.