VEISHEA Alternatives

jhutch1990

Dec 1, 2013
From Leath's semester kickoff email to students and staff this morning:

VEISHEA alternatives. The Spring Event Planning Committee submitted a proposal for new events and activities following the end of Veishea. Pursuant to the committee’s charge to identify new ways to showcase the university, I have approved the implementation of the following events this spring:
· Celebration in February featuring the sale of cherry pies integrated with other Valentine's Day activities.
· Celebration of arts in April in conjunction with Cyclone Market.

The following events will be implemented next academic year:
· Student-led community service project.
· Parade and college showcase.
· Event to welcome students back to campus for the start of spring semester.

I want to thank the Spring Event Planning Committee, which consisted of faculty and students, for their thoughtful recommendations. Student Government is now spearheading the implementation of these new events and activities.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
larry-david-yawn.gif

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Sounds stupid.

Any $ and energy that would be wasted on this should be put towards making homecoming actually good.

Bring in some concerts on Thursday/Friday night, have tournaments/games/competitions like VEISHEA, etc for the week leading up to the football game. Do we have a homecoming parade? Honestly can't remember...do one of these the morning of the game and make it really good.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
From Leath's semester kickoff email to students and staff this morning:

VEISHEA alternatives. The Spring Event Planning Committee submitted a proposal for new events and activities following the end of Veishea. Pursuant to the committee’s charge to identify new ways to showcase the university, I have approved the implementation of the following events this spring:
· Celebration in February featuring the sale of cherry pies integrated with other Valentine's Day activities.
· Celebration of arts in April in conjunction with Cyclone Market.

The following events will be implemented next academic year:
· Student-led community service project.
· Parade and college showcase.
· Event to welcome students back to campus for the start of spring semester.

I want to thank the Spring Event Planning Committee, which consisted of faculty and students, for their thoughtful recommendations. Student Government is now spearheading the implementation of these new events and activities.

I see that he forgot to schedule the riot. What an idiot. :jimlad:

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Sounds stupid.

Any $ and energy that would be wasted on this should be put towards making homecoming actually good.

Bring in some concerts on Thursday/Friday night, have tournaments/games/competitions like VEISHEA, etc for the week leading up to the football game. Do we have a homecoming parade? Honestly can't remember...do one of these the morning of the game and make it really good.

I think the parade mentioned will likely be for/during homecoming.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
So the parade and college showcase replaces VEISHEA?

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Hey guys, how can we have VEISHEA without calling it VEISHEA? - my interpretation of Leath's thought process on this one.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I'll summarize. ISU is going to reinstate every VEISHEA event but not have it on the same week. Dumb..unless the long term plan is to wait like 10 years then slowly start to put it all on the same week again. They will never call it VEISHEA again but a long wait would cause the students to turn over at least twice since the last VEISHEA* (Canceled week of due to riot) in 2014. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to this but I'm sure that having everything on separate dates is the plan going forward.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I'll summarize. ISU is going to reinstate every VEISHEA event but not have it on the same week. Dumb..unless the long term plan is to wait like 10 years then slowly start to put it all on the same week again. They will never call it VEISHEA again but a long wait would cause the students to turn over at least twice since the last VEISHEA* (Canceled week of due to riot) in 2014. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to this but I'm sure that having everything on separate dates is the plan going forward.

My thoughts on this are that Leath is a terrible president who should have found other alternatives to cancelling VEISHEA.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
My submitted proposal of AEHSIEV must have got turned down.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So the parade and college showcase replaces VEISHEA?
What a waste of space email. Cherry Pies. Go to HyVee. Nothing sounds interesting. How about showing an old Harrison Ford movie in JTS and selling clone cones?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
My thoughts on this are that Leath is a terrible president who should have found other alternatives to cancelling VEISHEA.

I think if Geoffroy were president at the time, he would have done the same thing Leath did. Geoffroy did the exact same thing you mentioned, he sought alternatives to fix the problems, but it went back to where it started.

Also to base someone just one one action for an event that does not further the educational/economic/mission of the state and university itself is very narrow minded.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think Leath's successor - or maybe that person's successor - will reinstate VEISHEA in full. It would take a pretty hardy group of alumni that would keep badgering the university for it.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
What a waste of space email. Cherry Pies. Go to HyVee. Nothing sounds interesting. How about showing an old Harrison Ford movie in JTS and selling clone cones?

Wesleybot may have just struck gold with this one. I'm in.