VEISHEA needs to move back to May. Bring the National Guard in to prevent the riots.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
hard to get excited in mid April with mid April weather. give the kids Thursday and Friday off like the old days. Bring in the National Guard to protect Campustown.

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
Re: VEISHEA needs to move back to May. Bring the National Guard in to prevent the ri

hard to get excited in mid April with mid April weather. give the kids Thursday and Friday off like the old days. Bring in the National Guard to protect Campustown.

+1

H

Hugs4ISU

Re: VEISHEA needs to move back to May. Bring the National Guard in to prevent the ri

When I was attending ISU in the early 90s, it was always so darn cold and windy during VEISHEA. Hard to have a good parade when it is in the 40s or (at best) low 50s with 40 mph gusts. One year, it was so windy I thought the big balloons were going to be carried off to Chicago, and the people holding them along with them.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

That'd work great this year! VEISHEA after most of the students have left Ames!

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Did you guys used to go to school later in May then? I had a teacher that said they specifically changed the school year just so VIESHEA would be in April and the weather would be colder to calm it down.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009

I guess I was lucky when I was at ISU - every year VEISHEA weekend coincided with the first warm weekend of the year.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009

I have heard that before as well.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Won't happen. It was changed so it wouldn't be as nice and thus less rowdy.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

Did you guys used to go to school later in May then? I had a teacher that said they specifically changed the school year just so VIESHEA would be in April and the weather would be colder to calm it down.

VEISHEA used to be the first weekend of May. So dead week would follow the next week, followed by finals. Yes VEISHEA got moved back in April because they hoped the cooler weather would lessen all the parties and people outside.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

School was once over a couple of weeks later, in the 20's of the month.

Actually, as I recall, the school year was changed so that Christmas break (after all, we certainly can't celebrate Chridmas!) was shorter, finals/graduation were sooner (and people could work more), and VEISHEA being earier was just a happy/sad side effect.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

I'm glad they shortened Christmas break. My freshman year I believe I was off from December 14th until January 15th which is ridiculously long. December 21st-January 7th would've been PLENTY long of a break. I'd rather be in school when its crappy in January than in May when its nice out.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines

Aka, the man won.

the people could always win if they just got together... if no one shows up, or very few show up for a couple years... i guarantee they change it back. April weather sucks... pretty much get 5 months of decent weather in Iowa.. May - Sept

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006

People are complaining too much, yes the weather sucked but how bad it was yesterday into today is unusual. The average high this time of the year is in the low 60's instead it was about 20 degrees cooler.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

People are complaining too much, yes the weather sucked but how bad it was yesterday into today is unusual. The average high this time of the year is in the low 60's instead it was about 20 degrees cooler.

There is snow and/or freezing rain at VEISHEA just about every other year nowadays.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids

There is snow and/or freezing rain at VEISHEA just about every other year nowadays.

This. I remember having to wear my winter coat to go to welch during veishea last year. Not cool.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009

I'm glad they shortened Christmas break. My freshman year I believe I was off from December 14th until January 15th which is ridiculously long. December 21st-January 7th would've been PLENTY long of a break. I'd rather be in school when its crappy in January than in May when its nice out.
University of Illinois does this. The semester didn't start until the 18th of January this year. A couple of years ago it didn't start until the 20th.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

I hope the 'bring in the National Guard' part is an attempt at a joke. If not, you may want to check out the news to see what your National Guard does in this day and age. I guess we're just too busy with this whole longest war in American history right now to baby sit for a bunch of drunk clowns who don't know how to control themselves. Maybe I'm just being a little overly sensitive, but for people to think we have nothing better to do than to be glorified babysitters is a pretty big smack in the face.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

ISU used to be on the quarter system, not semester. So we actually went to school longer than you do now. We started school the first Thursday after Labor Day and Finals Week in the Spring Quarter was the last full week before Memorial Day, IIRC.

They didn't change the school year to change the VEISHEA celebration. They changed the school year to be on Semesters like most other Universities.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA

Amen to moving VEISHA back to May, but local law enforcement can handle the duties in preventing on and off campus violence if given sufficient time to prepare. No need for Nat'l Guard troops on campus IMO.