Vet Med GRE score

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
A friend approached me the other day and asked if I knew what a competitive GRE score is for Vet Medicine. I didn't know, partially because I always figured the MCATs were the preferred standardized testing.

Anyway, he told me he had gotten an 840. I didn't laugh at him, but knew he would undoubtedly need to retake it.

Anybody know what is competitive for admission?

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
The following link gives you the profile of some of the graduating classes at ISU. I did not have had to take the GRE to get in so not very familiar with the scoring.
College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University

Much thanks, my friend!

That average is very low. Probably lower than most masters program requirements. I would have had much higher expectations from the admissions horror stories I have heard.

bigB

May 30, 2008
I found it interesting there is no undergraduate degree requirement...a person only needs to complete the pre-reqs. 6 people in the attached class profile without a degree.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
77.5% female students.

Where do I sign...?

You think thats crazy..

In my discipline I was the only male out of 8 students in my class. There are 5 total in the department out of 32. For the masters level, I think there are close to 80 people and I don't know of a single male (I'm sure there are a few). There are close to two-hundred undergraduates in my major and easily less than 10 percent are male.

My girlfriend knew about this before I matriculated. She dumped me. I couldn't have cared less. :yes:

clones1

Apr 17, 2006
California
Yeah, I had a sweet deal when I got in. Did three years of undergrad to get my required courses and then was allowed to backtransfer my first year vet med courses to fill my BS degree. Two years with one stone.

Last edited:

clones1

Apr 17, 2006
California
Much thanks, my friend!

That average is very low. Probably lower than most masters program requirements. I would have had much higher expectations from the admissions horror stories I have heard.

From the same website...may help answer this question.
Diversity

The Iowa State University and the College of Veterinary Medicine seek students with diverse backgrounds. Factors that contribute to an applicant’s diversity and that are considered in the Admissions Committee evaluation include, but are not limited to, life experiences, work experiences, professional goals, geographical background (rural, urban or suburban), cultural background, disadvantaged status and other information presented in the application that may be considered as contributing to diversity. Weight will be given to qualified applicants who possess characteristics that are underrepresented in the profession and who would contribute to the overall diversity of the class.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I am sure they factor into it, but I believe many graduate programs are the same way.

For a professional program with such a large admissions pool I still feel that those requirements are lower than expected.

My guess is, (like most medical schools) it is much more difficult to get into a graduate program at the university you did your undergraduate at. Pre-med students at ISU have a much easier time getting into Iowa than Iowa students. Same probably holds true for Vet students at ISU.

My guess anyway.

pthebutcher

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 14, 2006
Portland
A friend approached me the other day and asked if I knew what a competitive GRE score is for Vet Medicine. I didn't know, partially because I always figured the MCATs were the preferred standardized testing.

Anyway, he told me he had gotten an 840. I didn't laugh at him, but knew he would undoubtedly need to retake it.

Anybody know what is competitive for admission?

I was accepted as a meteorology grad student here at ISU. I would imagine many of the science based programs look for somewhat similar scores. Anyhow I had a 660 quantitative and a 570 verbal for a combined 1230. I was told by one of the professors my scores were pretty typical in what they look for.