Video Interview with Chris Colvin on Suspension

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
McDermott's post game comments on the Colvin suspension.

On the suspension…

I have suspended Chris until February. When in February is up to Chris. Whether it is February 3 or February 23, that will be up to him and his actions between now and then. Chris has been disrespectful to our coaching staff, he has disrespected his teammates and in my opinion, he doesn’t realize what a privilege it is to wear an Iowa State uniform. Until he learns that, he won’t wear it. That is the bad news. The good news is I believe that through the different incidents that have taken place that Chris has grown up. I have been impressed with his actions over the last 48 hours, his sincerity, his ability to convince me, my staff and his teammates that he really, really wants to be a part of this team. That is why the suspension is as long as it is, cause I wanted to find out whether he was sincere about how bad he wanted to remain on this team. Obviously, we are a better team with Chris Colvin because he is a very talented player. I think that he can have a great career at Iowa State. My hope is that because of this experience, he will grow and become even a better leader, a better person and a better player. It has been a tough couple of days for me, for my staff and for our team, and certainly for Chris and his family. But I want to put it behind us. I want to comment on it now and Chris is going to talk to you when we’re done. And then we need to move on. That is what the team wants to do. That is what Chris wants to do. If his actions the last couple of days are any indication, I think he is sincere about really wanting to be a part of this program. He has got to learn what being a Cyclone means.

On his reasoning…

I got in this profession because I love to coach basketball and I love to help young people grow. If winning every gets in the way of that, then I’ve got to get out of it. This young man needs to grow up and if it costs me a couple of wins along the way, then so be it. He is going to be better and I am going to sleep better because of that. That is why I do what I do. It was probably my fault that I let him go down the road too far early in the season. I probably bit my tongue a few times when I shouldn’t have. But we are where we are today and I am ready to move on.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-wZVGlVpDM]YouTube - Video: Chris Colvin on suspension[/ame]

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
I got in this profession because I love to coach basketball and I love to help young people grow. If winning every gets in the way of that, then I’ve got to get out of it. This young man needs to grow up and if it costs me a couple of wins along the way, then so be it. He is going to be better and I am going to sleep better because of that. That is why I do what I do.

Refreshing honesty from a guy on the hot seat.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
"Chris has been disrespectful to our coaching staff, he has disrespected his teammates and in my opinion, he doesn’t realize what a privilege it is to wear an Iowa State uniform. Until he learns that, he won’t wear it."

Well, if this is true, then I can't blame them for making the suspension. You should never criticize your team mates, and never criticize your coaches in front of anyone.Chris needs to trust us Alumni to be the ones to hold the feet of the coaching staff to the fire.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Ballsy move for a coach not living up to expectations. Could this be a little change in the team attitude?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Glad to see Colvin face the media and tell his side. This will have a big affect on him hopefully for the best. Nice to see him grown up about it also.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
It seems as both McD and Colvin agree and are cool with it.
Takes some serious nuts to do what McD did, he is putting his job on the line to do the right thing and I for one am very impressed.

Best of luck to Colvin, we look forward to you playing as soon as possible.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I see nothing but positive stuff in that interview. Absolutely no hesitation when asked if it is fair. None. It seems like he knows what's going on and what he needs to do. I know it isn't worth much but I didn't see an indication that he wants to leave. Good move by Mac. By Colvins attitude I woudl think Mac handled this very well.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
Although we don't know the specifics within the incident, I respect the decision. Mcd needs to take control of the team...enforce and reinforce the importance that no 1 player is above any other player. And continuously enforce team basketball...until we start playing like a team and playing together, we won't have a great amount of success.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
This could end up being a great turning point for the team.

I thought the same thing as I listened to gmacs post game interview. I don't think we've got a shot in hell at beating Texas but if we can come out, play hard and make a game of it...we may get the 'turned on light' we've all been waiting for.

No sense in at least being optimistic at this point....

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Attaboy. Way to take responsibility. Shows alot of guts and maturity.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I can respect that. He acknowledged he ****ed up, and he's willing to accept responsibility and the consequences. Mature move CC.

Help Support Us

Become a patron