Vinyl album sales hit nearly 43.5 MILLION in 2022

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Just throwing this out there because I found it interesting, and I think more than a few of you will also. I worked for a music and video retailer on the West Coast when vinyl was all but eliminated from store shelves in 1989/90 because most people were buying music on cassette tape at the time (soon to be overtaken by CDs). I never thought vinyl would EVER come back as a viable format for music sales, but it certainly has and now holds the largest share of music sold in a physical format. Really good read, if you're into this type of thing.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I love collecting vinyl, Have only about 20 now, lost a couple of hundred in the 06 flood. I hope the demand goes back down, popular vinyls are 30 to 60 bucks a pop.

Reactions: Buster28

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Big vinyl guy. My collection is mostly 70s/80s rock:

20230212-103231.jpg

20230212-103210.jpg

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Just throwing this out there because I found it interesting, and I think more than a few of you will also. I worked for a music and video retailer on the West Coast when vinyl was all but eliminated from store shelves in 1989/90 because most people were buying music on cassette tape at the time (soon to be overtaken by CDs). I never thought vinyl would EVER come back as a viable format for music sales, but it certainly has and now holds the largest share of music sold in a physical format. Really good read, if you're into this type of thing.

So wild how things come/go/return/etc. I have some friends who several years ago were into vinyl and got LOTS of albums when $10 at a yard sale could get you someones old collection....now seems the cost has went WAY up, even for new copies at places like Target/Walmart.

I don't really purchase music anymore, just stream, etc....so maybe this is already a thing, but do any artists/companies give a digital version with purchase? I know that for movies, it seems so many physical purchases come with a "digital download" so you can have the best of both worlds.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
So wild how things come/go/return/etc. I have some friends who several years ago were into vinyl and got LOTS of albums when $10 at a yard sale could get you someones old collection....now seems the cost has went WAY up, even for new copies at places like Target/Walmart.

I don't really purchase music anymore, just stream, etc....so maybe this is already a thing, but do any artists/companies give a digital version with purchase? I know that for movies, it seems so many physical purchases come with a "digital download" so you can have the best of both worlds.
Used to do the garage sale thing, 20/25 years ago. Was able to snag Abbey Road, Dark Side of the Moon, and Led Zep IV at the same sale for 25c each.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I got rid of much of my physical music over the last several years. I'm happier without all the stuff, including the huge stereo components and speakers. That said, I get it and it certainly is interesting that albums have returned. I'm waiting for 8 tracks.

Reactions: CapnCy

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Vinyl has the best sound

Most young people who are used to sound coming from ear buds / their phones are usually blown away by a proper turntable setup and a tube amplifer. They have no idea that music "images."

Reactions: Turn2

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Most young people who are used to sound coming from ear buds / their phones are usually blown away by a proper turntable setup and a tube amplifer. They have no idea that music "images."
What you say is true, but most young people cannot afford to set up a nice turntable, with tube amplifier and a decent set of speakers to just listen to music.

I have a very, very nice home theater setup, but without a turntable nor a tube amp, and would hate to think what it would be to purchase those, just to listen to a record from time to time.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I am adding a 1970’s Marantz turntable with a diamond tip needle to my home entertainment system and starting to collect vinyl jazz.

I have been through Half Price books any other suggestions in central Iowa where I can buy vinyl jazz?

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
What you say is true, but most young people cannot afford to set up a nice turntable, with tube amplifier and a decent set of speakers to just listen to music.

I have a very, very nice home theater setup, but without a turntable nor a tube amp, and would hate to think what it would be to purchase those, just to listen to a record from time to time.

High quality music reproduction isn't cheap. There are some very big spenders in that hobby.

To be fair...I'm one of them. My current setup in the listening room is a pair of modified Klipsch Chorus IIs and a McIntosh Mc240. I'm between turntables at the moment.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HOTDON

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
If you really like music played with non electronic/digital instruments, it really is the best way to listen. I’m not really an audiophile, so I haven’t invested in the system, but I have a friend who is. I love going to his place and listening to his vinyl collection.

I get the ease factor and convenience of digital music. For me, it fits my needs, but it makes sense why people are going back to vinyl. I’ve almost made the switch just for Pink Floyd Animals on vinyl alone.