Virginia Game Time: Friday at 6:10 PM Central

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
What time should one leave their downtown hotel in order to get to the game on time then? Not driving but will most likely cab or uber unless there is an easier way.

If you left at 5 or 5:15 you would be fine. Even in really bad traffic it should take 20, maybe 30 minutes to get to the stadium. That gives you plenty of time to get in and get to your seat. The worst part about staying in the River North area is that it just gets completely jammed with traffic during rush hour, and at night, and it takes you 10 minutes to go one mile.

If you are staying in the Loop, you could take the Blue line as well, get off at the Illinois Medical District stop, and walk like three blocks north. If you're staying in River North, which is where most of the hotels are, then take a cab/uber.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
What time should one leave their downtown hotel in order to get to the game on time then? Not driving but will most likely cab or uber unless there is an easier way.
I'm assuming the doors open an hour before tipoff? It depends how early you wanted to get there, but I would leave yourself about 30 mins of travel time from downtown to the UC. At that time on Friday, it can take quite awhile just to go a few blocks because a lot of those streets get gridlocked.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
I am kind of surprised they are putting Iowa State-Virginia and Gonzaga-Syracuse on CBS and the other region on TBS, but then again I suppose Wisconsin-Notre Dame is not a marquee matchup even though Indiana-North Carolina is.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I am kind of surprised they are putting Iowa State-Virginia and Gonzaga-Syracuse on CBS and the other region on TBS, but then again I suppose Wisconsin-Notre Dame is not a marquee matchup even though Indiana-North Carolina is.

I agree...Wisconsin and Notre Dame fanbases are huge, I figured that region would for sure be on CBS

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
I see the Blue L train stops just 2 blocks south of the United Center. Is it better to do that or cab/über it from River North area to the UC?

It will take you about 30 minutes to take the Red line to the Loop, then transfer to the Blue Line out to the UC. It's $2.25 per person, so it will be cheaper than taking a cab, even if you have 4 people, and roughly the same amount of time. The El can get a little busy during rush hour, but you're going in the opposite direction of most people, so the trains shouldn't be too packed.

If it was me, I would take the train, but I also hate taking cabs places.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
If I planned on leaving Des Moines at 11 on Friday morning will I be cutting it to close?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
If I planned on leaving Des Moines at 11 on Friday morning will I be cutting it to close?
I was also planning to leave at 11. Reading this I feel like I'm already too late.

I'm staying in the River North area and it looked like taking the 65 and 50 buses was the best public transportation. I have a bus stop right outside my hotel and it looks like the 50 drops off right by the UC. All I've seen on here is people recommending the train. Any pros/cons to the bus versus train?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Leaving at 11 is probably cutting it a little too close. I'd guess you'd make it in time but if there's an accident or major traffic getting into the city, you're probably not going to make it on time.

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
I was also planning to leave at 11. Reading this I feel like I'm already too late.

I'm staying in the River North area and it looked like taking the 65 and 50 buses was the best public transportation. I have a bus stop right outside my hotel and it looks like the 50 drops off right by the UC. All I've seen on here is people recommending the train. Any pros/cons to the bus versus train?

I would recommend against the bus for two reasons. The bus will still get stuck in the same traffic as all the cars, plus it makes stops. Second, the bus in River North during rush hour gets very very full. The trains are more reliable because they bypass traffic even though you have to transfer from the Red to the Blue downtown, it could still be faster. That bus will be in traffic pretty much the whole way from the hotel to the United Center.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
Will traffic from the west (heading east) be significantly less than heading west (out of downtown)? Or will it be crazy at that time no matter the direction?

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
Will traffic from the west (heading east) be significantly less than heading west (out of downtown)? Or will it be crazy at that time no matter the direction?

If you're coming in via I-290, it will be bad. The stretch of 290 from Hillside into the city is always jammed up until you get to Harlem Ave. It won't be quite as bad as going out of downtown though. Depending on how far from the west you're coming, I would give yourself 90 minutes to go from Aurora to the UC. I don't think it will take quite that long, but that's a safe number, barring a major accident.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'll confirm everything melt said.
Train is faster than buses because no traffic.
Traffic is bad coming into and leaving the city on Friday evenings.
Leaving DM at 11 on Friday is cutting it close. You will hit Chicago at rush hour. There will be traffic jams and if there's an accident, you will not be moving. (There will be an accident because Chicago)
You will probably get here on time, but you are flirting with missing tipoff because of traffic. Take a whole day off and leave DM Friday morning. That way you can get into the city early afternoon and relax. You'll be glad you did.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is it okay/safe to just walk from a hotel near the Monroe station?

Google Maps says it is a 30 minute ride/walk on Blue Line, a 45 minute just to walk it.

Not much of a time difference. Just wondering if it is an "okay" area.

Last edited:

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
Is it okay/safe to just walk from a hotel near the Monroe station?

Google Maps says it is a 30 minute ride/walk on Blue Line, a 45 minute just to walk it.

Not much of a time different. Just wondering if it is an "okay" area.

You're staying at the Palmer House I bet. The area is fine in my opinion.

JohnnyAppleseed

Nov 30, 2008
The solution to all of these problems is to just go to a bar in the West Loop or near UC early in the afternoon :) Won't have to deal with traffic and you can then walk to UC.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
We are leaving at 9:00 AM, so hopefully get there early enough to check in and then head over to beat the rush hour.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron