Visiting Gettysburg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
These are all pretty good primers for Gettysburg:

This is good. I’ve dove into some of this but will check these out. They really get into the weeds with detail but I love that stuff.

Reactions: t-noah

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Definitely going this summer on our Vaca so watching this thread!

People here are full of great info!

Need more time and money cuz I want to do too much. LOL
I will report back in a couple weeks with some tips. Long range forecast looks decent so hopefully that holds. I’m doing this thing rain or shine though but I’d prefer to be able to walk around freely of course.

Reactions: 2speedy1 and NWICY

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Headed to Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields in a couple weeks. Any tips or advice would be welcomed.
A full day private tour is the way to go, but it's costly. A guided driven tour is solid second option.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If you're into covered bridges, Sachs Bridge, near the Gettysburg battlefield.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Read up on the battle and what was its purpose. Drive miles around the battle site and get a sense of the lay of the land.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Spend as much time as you can at Big Round Top and also Cemetery Ridge where Picketts Charge was.

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
I've visited twice. Make sure to take some time to sit on the cliffs and look out and appreciate the view of the battlefield from several different angles. Second, I really enjoyed the collection of sabres and rifles indoors; the shear volume of weapons is cool. I also took sometime to visit downtown Gettysburg away from the battlefield area and it is a nice small town. It's incredible how close Gettysburg is to DC, and it's absolutely humbling to realize this was just a small town out in the country that was completely upturned by this enormous battle.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Update: booked a guided tour. Apparently you can do a bus one but for the same price you can hire a guy to drive you around and give you a personalized tour. I can track down the site again if anyone wants it. Apparently there’s mini-turf war going on between licensed guides by the park and town guides who are licensed.

Also, for you nerds like me, The Battle Of Gettysburg podcast is fantastic. Super in depth but there’s so much to understand about it all.

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
If you're going to Gettysburg and are staying multiple days, I would recommend checking out the Gettysburg Museum of History. They have an insane amount of stuff - Civil War and everything else. They have a bunch of stuff personally owned by Hitler, suits and other personal things owned by JFK - as well as a bloody piece of the leather from the back seat of the car when he was assassinated.

https://www.gettysburgmuseumofhistory.com/

If you are going to do a self-tour of the battlefield, get an audio tour for your car. They are very helpful. And take time to really take in the battlefield. There are some beautiful spots to sit and just reflect. LIttle and Big Round Top are two such places. Also, highly recommend walking Pickett's Charge across the battlefield. It's about a mile each way, but it really gives you time to think about what those men were thinking when they made that charge knowing they would likely be killed.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
My advice FWIW:

- Hire. A. Personal. Guide. For $70 bucks for two hours a guy will take you around and tell you anything and everything you want to know. Do this at the beginning of your time there to give context to everything you’re seeing. Don’t do the bus tour, for the same price book a guide ahead of time. Google “Licensed Battlefield Guides” and follow the steps. It will seem super antiqued the way they do their bookings but trust me.
- It’s massive. You need time to take it all in.
- The main museum in town is better than the one at the main visitor center if you have background in Gettysburg but both are good.
- Blue and Grey restaurant in town. You’re welcome.
- Learn as much as you can before you go, it will greatly enhance your experience.
- Don’t forget the cemetery where Lincoln gave his address.
- if you have time, I strongly recommend the Antietam Battlefield as well. It’s about an hour south.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I went in high school, but I don't remember a thing about it. I should take my kids in a few years, so they won't remember anything about it. :jimlad: