Voices from Memphis: 2017 Bowl Edition

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We tried to get something to eat on Beale, around 1PM on Friday, and it was impossible. We sat down in the Flying Saucer for a good 90 minutes, and never had a server even approach us. They were so overwhelmed. We ordered our drinks at the bar, but could not anyone to take a food order.

Around 3PM, the parade was getting ready to start, and we ducked into Blues City Cafe. They sat us immediately. Had drinks within about 5 minutes. Food within 15 minutes. Great ribs, cajun shrimp and catfish. We really enjoyed that place. They were so welcoming to Iowa State folks.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We tried to get something to eat on Beale, around 1PM on Friday, and it was impossible. We sat down in the Flying Saucer for a good 90 minutes, and never had a server even approach us. They were so overwhelmed. We ordered our drinks at the bar, but could not anyone to take a food order.

Around 3PM, the parade was getting ready to start, and we ducked into Blues City Cafe. They sat us immediately. Had drinks within about 5 minutes. Food within 15 minutes. Great ribs, cajun shrimp and catfish. We really enjoyed that place. They were so welcoming to Iowa State folks.

Had a similar experience there at around 5:00 on Friday. Only had about a 10 minute wait, quick service, great ribs and catfish. Also tried the gumbo fries which were unreal.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
To my fellow cyclone fans I kept apologizing to in section 132 around row 66. I still don't know the guy (yes, I do but during his constant rants and yelling "end zone" all the time, calling us the Memphis Cyclones sometimes and having to walk out every half hour to go to the bathroom across 20 people(stadium setup was weird to have to climb over so many people also to get out of your row) it started to really piss me off to!! As I said, after one of his rants that, I still don't know him. All in all we had a good time!!

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
Let me say first 99.9% of Memphis folks were great, thanks.
I walk with a cane which slants my view of life.

We arrived two days early and headed straight to stadium to see if had changed from 2012. We’re driving around parking lot a guy setting up a tent waves us over. I guess in the first-come grass area setting up way early is acceptable. As he placed orange cones in his parking spot he explained all things parking/tailgating. Nice guy, good start to our stay.

That night, Central BBQ froze standing in line outdoors to then sit in a tent. However, the BBQ was the best ever. Wait/servers/cashier staff was a well oiled machine of friendly folks. The floors were very slick, not cane friendly.

Arrived at Tiger Lane right after 6am on game day. Backed into parking spot and two porta-potties in nearby parking spaces, oh I’m in heaven. We set up tent, fired up heater, plugged in crock pot filled with BBQ from Corkeys. I left tent to see porta-potties are now in the grass next to a Tiger canopy. I go over and talk to Tiger Fan. He says we rent PP and have it delivered to our parking spot. I said in with bladder filled, pained look on my face, leaning on my cane I asked, “May I use your PP” he said, “Sure, ONCE and there’s no paper in there yet”. My bladder thanked him and I understand completely why they brought their own PP, darn Liberty Bowl too cheap to provide enough.

I usually start walking to game an hour before kick-off, glad I did, WTF is that gawd awful line at the gate? I had bought 6 seats in row 60 section 102 for my friends and my seat in wheel chair/ADA Row 64 and assumed walk up a ramp or ride elevator to my seat. Liberty Bowl called me week before game saying row 64 not ADA. Liberty Bowl moved me to row 24. Sat next to ISU guy on scooter and his wife. Folks from Harlan, Ia way beyond friendly and helpful.

Now met the only ***hole Tiger fan in Memphis sitting two rows behind us. He started shouting, “Lanning is crap” , “Lanning go back to Des Moines”, “Lanning go back to your cornfield”, on and on this guy ragged on Lanning and ISU using multiple explicatives. After end of game, I turned around to flip him off, he’s gone. He left early! I mounted a Cyclone Nation flag on my cane and the cold wind blew the flag proudly open. Loved seeing Lazard carry his helmet upside down, the red chrome never shined so bright!!!

Went back to tent, ran out of propane and think we were the last Cyclones to leave Tiger Lane. Love tailgating, loved winning in the cold as opposed to losing in the rain in 2012. The drive home was filled with standing in line with Cyclones at restrooms at every gas station and McDonalds all the way home.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

We arrived two days early and headed straight to stadium to see if had changed from 2012. We’re driving around parking lot a guy setting up a tent waves us over. I guess in the first-come grass area setting up way early is acceptable. As he placed orange cones in his parking spot he explained all things parking/tailgating. Nice guy, good start to our stay.

That night, Central BBQ froze standing in line outdoors to then sit in a tent. However, the BBQ was the best ever. Wait/servers/cashier staff was a well oiled machine of friendly folks. The floors were very slick, not cane friendly.

Arrived at Tiger Lane right after 6am on game day. Backed into parking spot and two porta-potties in nearby parking spaces, oh I’m in heaven. We set up tent, fired up heater, plugged in crock pot filled with BBQ from Corkeys. I left tent to see porta-potties are now in the grass next to a Tiger canopy. I go over and talk to Tiger Fan. He says we rent PP and have it delivered to our parking spot. I said in with bladder filled, pained look on my face, leaning on my cane I asked, “May I use your PP” he said, “Sure, ONCE and there’s no paper in there yet”. My bladder thanked him and I understand completely why they brought their own PP, darn Liberty Bowl too cheap to provide enough.

I usually start walking to game an hour before kick-off, glad I did, WTF is that gawd awful line at the gate? I had bought 6 seats in row 60 section 102 for my friends and my seat in wheel chair/ADA Row 64 and assumed walk up a ramp or ride elevator to my seat. Liberty Bowl called me week before game saying row 64 not ADA. Liberty Bowl moved me to row 24. Sat next to ISU guy on scooter and his wife. Folks from Harlan, Ia way beyond friendly and helpful.

Now met the only ***hole Tiger fan in Memphis sitting two rows behind us. He started shouting, “Lanning is crap” , “Lanning go back to Des Moines”, “Lanning go back to your cornfield”, on and on this guy ragged on Lanning and ISU using multiple explicatives.
After end of game, I turned around to flip him off, he’s gone. He left early! I mounted a Cyclone Nation flag on my cane and the cold wind blew the flag proudly open. Loved seeing Lazard carry his helmet upside down, the red chrome never shined so bright!!!

Went back to tent, ran out of propane and think we were the last Cyclones to leave Tiger Lane. Love tailgating, loved winning in the cold as opposed to losing in the rain in 2012. The drive home was filled with standing in line with Cyclones at restrooms at every gas station and McDonalds all the way home.

Yeah that guy was a total douche

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Memphis locals and fans were fantastic.

Our only problem encounter was the fat guy at the convenience store by our hotel. We went in there and he proceeded to talk smack about how it was a shame that we had driven 10 hours just so we could get destroyed and cry our whole way home. My brother said something like, "just hoping for a good game". Fat guy doubles down and said there was no way we would be in the game that Iowa hicks had never seen anything like their offense. We said we see good offenses in the Big 12 all season and they had never seen anything like our defense. He laughed and said something again about crying our way home. My brother was nice and said something like that is why they play the game. The other lady working in the store was kind of rolling her eyes at fat guy the whole time.

Game morning we discover at our hotel that several Cyclone fans have had fat guy talking smack to them, including elderly couples.

Later in the evening after the game we dropped back by the store. The lady sees us coming and "innocently" asks how the game went, she "hadn't heard". Fat guy snapped, "they won by one after paying off the refs." My brother said to him that if he is going to talk smack to everyone who comes in there he better be prepared to take his medicine when things don't go his way.

He must always be an insufferable tool because the lady was doing all she could to contain her obvious enjoyment at the whole thing. It was pretty funny.

Again, our interactions were overwhelmingly positive. Friday afternoon we talked for about an hour or hour and a half with a local on a roof top bar during the parade. We stopped by a Tigers tailgate bus and talked about our bus. They offered us beers and their hospitality was top notch.

And, of course, we saw a couple different groups of people all decked out in their hawkeye gear parking before the game and getting their picture taken in the stadium before the game. What possesses people to do that?

JackCyclone

Jan 31, 2013
When we bought tickets, somehow didn't realize that the ones we got were on the Memphis side which made for an interesting experience. 99% of the fans around us were great, asked us how we were enjoying Memphis, thanked us for coming, gave BBQ recommendations, etc.
Actually ended up sitting right next to Riley Ferguson's dad. Super nice guy, drove in from Charlotte, NC with their family. Told me all about Riley's experience playing at Tennessee then JUCO how he likes it at Memphis, what he's expecting from the draft, etc. Also asked all about Iowa State's season, the football team, how we liked Campbell. Awesome conversation throughout the game- couldn't have been nicer.

Overheard one Memphis fan saying after the game, "****, there's not gonna be any beer in this town left for us after these people go back to Iowa" Got a good chuckle out of that one

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010

Now met the only ***hole Tiger fan in Memphis sitting two rows behind us. He started shouting, “Lanning is crap” , “Lanning go back to Des Moines”, “Lanning go back to your cornfield”, on and on this guy ragged on Lanning and ISU using multiple explicatives. After end of game, I turned around to flip him off, he’s gone. He left early! I mounted a Cyclone Nation flag on my cane and the cold wind blew the flag proudly open. Loved seeing Lazard carry his helmet upside down, the red chrome never shined so bright!!!

We were in 102 and heard about the guy bashing Lanning as some from our group would walk by on the way to concessions/bathroom. Also after the game one of my friends got this picture is this you?
26171237_10104994885411560_7254684259844074679_o.jpg

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
d there was one guy who got particularly riled up about the roughing the passer that cost them the interception. He tossed together quite the string of profanities about them not showing a replay on the video board. So much so a few families got up and moved.
We were in 102 and heard about the guy bashing Lanning as some from our group would walk by on the way to concessions/bathroom. Also after the game one of my friends got this picture is this you?
26171237_10104994885411560_7254684259844074679_o.jpg

I'm shocked the guy was smart enough to know who Lanning was. So I'll give him credit there. Still a douche though.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Casey's in Hannibal, MO, overheard a young guy behind the counter saying how busy they were and what was going on that so many Iowa State people were there and if there was a "tournament" somewhere.

We were able to get food at Alfred's on Beale St. We just went up to where the gals were bringing out the food and ordered ours to go. It took and hour but we had tables lined up at Tin Roof so it was pretty good. We got great beer deals at Tin Roof! Large cups of beer for $4. They were like 24 oz cups. We got the same gal all the time behind the bar and we just were nice and courteous to her and gave her kudos for handling all the cyclone fans.

Reactions: aauummm and NWICY

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Had a similar experience there at around 5:00 on Friday. Only had about a 10 minute wait, quick service, great ribs and catfish. Also tried the gumbo fries which were unreal.
we didn't try the gumbo fries, because two of the people in our group didn't like seafood. We just got their BBQ cheese fries instead, which while terrible for you, were absolutely amazing. I got my seafood fix with their cajun shrimp and catfish, though. The guy running the place was awesome. He would go into detail on all of their dishes if you asked, and describe how they cooked them. he was really pushing the family style ribeyes, which admittedly were pretty tempting, if only to see seven pounds of steak slammed down in the middle of the table.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
we didn't try the gumbo fries, because two of the people in our group didn't like seafood. We just got their BBQ cheese fries instead, which while terrible for you, were absolutely amazing. I got my seafood fix with their cajun shrimp and catfish, though. The guy running the place was awesome. He would go into detail on all of their dishes if you asked, and describe how they cooked them. he was really pushing the family style ribeyes, which admittedly were pretty tempting, if only to see seven pounds of steak slammed down in the middle of the table.

Do they come with a coupon for discount angioplasty?

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
We walked into an applebees in West Memphis after the game and gettinf back to the hotel. The restraunt had 1 table with people seated, a few people at the bar, and 1 person waiting to be seated. The hostess told us it would be a 25 minute wait. After we got past the initial shock we went to Logan's roadhouse instead of waiting.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Great interactions with Memphis fans the whole time down there. We did have a couple bad experiences with fans while down there...fellow Cyclones unfortunately. :-(

Friends and family have home have asked, and the best description of Tigers fans that I can come up with is this interaction at the game:

We had a great group and mix of fans around us at the game, pretty well all good-natured ribbing as the game went on. At some point in the 2nd qtr when we all could feel that it was going to be a competitive game, maybe after a score of theirs, a middle aged women a couple rows in front of us turned around and said in her heavy accent, "I hope we can all be friends after we beat ya'll."

Nicest bit of real, legitimate trash talk I've ever heard at a sporting event.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Great interactions with Memphis fans the whole time down there. We did have a couple bad experiences with fans while down there...fellow Cyclones unfortunately. :-(

Friends and family have home have asked, and the best description of Tigers fans that I can come up with is this interaction at the game:

We had a great group and mix of fans around us at the game, pretty well all good-natured ribbing as the game went on. At some point in the 2nd qtr when we all could feel that it was going to be a competitive game, maybe after a score of theirs, a middle aged women a couple rows in front of us turned around and said in her heavy accent, "I hope we can all be friends after we beat ya'll."

Nicest bit of real, legitimate trash talk I've ever heard at a sporting event.
Explain this???

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Do they come with a coupon for discount angioplasty?
They probably needed it. It was one of those things where one of the guys in our group saw someone at another table order them, and was like "We're getting those." I'm not going to argue with a guy if he's going to buy an appetizer for the table. And, by that point, it was like 3:30 and we were still waiting to have lunch, so I wasn't in a position to be making responsible food choices.

Reactions: oldman and Rural

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
They would be fun, but different. I just think it is so great and unique to be sourounded by Iowa State fans and that wouldn’t happen in Orlando.

I thinkssn Antonio would be similar to Memphis.

With direct flights from multiple airports in Iowa, I think ISU fans would swarm Orlando.