VOLLEYBALL: 2017 schedule released

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I have made the mistake of not paying attention to the volleyball schedule (and All-State Music) and getting shut out of the public parking around Hilton. We took care of it for this year by moving to an RV lot, but I thought I would help others see the potential parking problem dates:

Oct 28 Football vs. TCU, Volleyball vs. Kansas, both in Ames, during Homecoming.
Nov 11 Football vs. OSU, Volleyball vs. Texas, both in Ames, both will have conference (and maybe post-season) implications.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Wish we had an annual fall series with Nebraska. Or at least one Big Ten team in the non-conference besides the Hawks. Minn and Wisc seem like natural rivals and would be great Hilton draws.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Lol at the first reply -how to avoid Iowa State Volleyball

Schedule wise, this is the first year in a while we haven't had a Big 10 power in non-con. We've frequently played Minny and have continued the series with Nebby up until last year?

Also, I wonder who will be at the tourney in Wichita.

**Side note, I'm sure our friends to the east relish in the fact they can schedule us in a weekend tourney a few hours after playing a different team.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Schedule wise, this is the first year in a while we haven't had a Big 10 power in non-con. We've frequently played Minny and have continued the series with Nebby up until last year?

Also, I wonder who will be at the tourney in Wichita.

This is the first time since UNL ran off to the B1G that ISU hasn't played at least one other B1G team in the regular season.

2011 - Nebraska
2012 - Illinois (2x), Nebraska
2013 - Illinois, Nebraska
2014 - Minnesota
2015 - Nebraska
2016 - Nebraska

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Lol at the first reply -how to avoid Iowa State Volleyball

You could view it the other way also. Despite it being a home football game, you should know that they save the parking around Hilton for volleyball fans, so make your plans to attend these big meets and don't worry about parking.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Disappointing that Nebby, Minnesota, or Bucky aren't on the schedule. The B12 schedule is solid (as usual) but would have liked some more regional good teams. Oh well rack up the W's and go into the NCAA's. UNI is solid and Ia. improving but I really like it when they play tourney quality regional teams.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Disappointing that Nebby, Minnesota, or Bucky aren't on the schedule. The B12 schedule is solid (as usual) but would have liked some more regional good teams. Oh well rack up the W's and go into the NCAA's. UNI is solid and Ia. improving but I really like it when they play tourney quality regional teams.
It's been a while since we advanced very far in the NCAA's - proof that winning lots of matches in the Big 12 doesn't really prepare you for the good teams.
Purdue went 18-13, 8-12 in the Big Ten, and swept us in the first round. CJL said after that loss, without smiling, "we have to get better."
Agree that playing strong regional teams would maybe help us "get better." To me that means more Big Ten teams, not fewer in the non-con. Maybe CJL tried?

Last edited:

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
With Purdue we could not cope with 6-foot-4 outside hitter Danielle Cuttino full stop. It was close in the first 26-24 and if a couple of balls/calls could have gone our way it would have changed things but..... They hit .522 in the third which means our block was not existent. We know Schaben was hurt see off season surgery. UNI and Creighton were no slouches but I do agree a home and away with Nebraska MN or WI would give us a good indication of where we are. Texas if they gel together will give everyone a good idea of where they stack up. Excited about what CJL can put together this year. It should be fun!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's been a while since we advanced very far in the NCAA's - proof that winning lots of matches in the Big 12 doesn't really prepare you for the good teams.
Purdue went 18-13, 13-7 in the Big Ten, and swept us in the first round. CJL said after that loss, without smiling, "we have to get better."
Agree that playing strong regional teams would maybe help us "get better." To me that means more Big Ten teams, not fewer in the non-con. Maybe CJL tried?

I am guessing they did try, she isn't exactly Fennelly-like in avoiding teams with a heartbeat in NC. They did play Minnesota and Wisconsin in spring exhibition and those matches (especially the one in Minnesota) were played HARD. I took a look at Minnesota and they are playing a tough NC but all of the matches are "tournaments", not even one single stand alone match, just like ours except better teams. Guessing these tourneys aren't the easiest thing to set up with regards to SOS.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Took another look at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Texas and Nebraska. Only one stand alone match in NC, Texas vs UTSA.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Texas on Nov. 11 and the Football team will be playing Okie State at Jack's place the same day. I wonder if this is the week to look for the WBB and MBB games too? I love to hit all four and make a long stay in Ames.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Today

Summer workouts wrapped up today! Big thanks to our strength and conditioning coach Theo James for all the work he does for our program throughout the season.

Practice kicks off on Aug. 8, and four weeks from tonight we kick off our season at Hilton Coliseum!

20476108_10155609826953293_5994736153036728266_n.jpg