Volleyball at Iowa 8:00 PM 9/11

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Time for a good old fashioned meltdown.
We did that last week...it's time to just admit we are so-so at this time and we did not take the big jump up this year. All the rest of the season left to make amends and this is awake up for the team. We knew things were not quite right last week I think.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Just remember Iowa hasn't beat us in vball in over a decade. The new coach understood the importance. He was smart to schedule a tournament where we played later against a good team.

yeah, we still got a ranked win today and this is not the Iowa program of years past.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Just remember Iowa hasn't beat us in vball in over a decade. The new coach understood the importance. He was smart to schedule a tournament where we played later against a good team.

So it was their Super Bowl and they now consider their season a success?

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Why is CJL forcing Capezio to win this? Not good. She can't hit over the block, period.

They had a player set a new high in kills. Not what we give up, usually. Coach can usually take the best player out of their game. We didn't. Our defense isn't where it should be.

This is a bad loss. Coupled with the soccer team losing, bad night. We need the football team to pick things up tomorrow. Wrestling team team needs to be put on notice. This needs to be the year.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We did that last week...it's time to just admit we are so-so at this time and we did not take the big jump up this year. All the rest of the season left to make amends and this is awake up for the team. We knew things were not quite right last week I think.
I don't buy that. It's more of a "symptom." The wake-up calls should have been after the Marquette and Virginia losses. This is a team with a lot of talent - a team that should be toying with Iowa. Shymansky dreams of having our talent...then he beats us.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
Lol it was important for him building the program/recruiting. And actually, it's kinda like us in football, big 10 vball is stacked so it might be one of their few good wins.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
yeah, we still got a ranked win today and this is not the Iowa program of years past.
??? Shymansky has not been able to recruit like he thought he would - adds some non-descript transfers but shut out of any top players, especially in Iowa. They either go to elite programs (like to Texas or Neb) or CJL gets them. He has no talent, yet he beats ISU...it's stunning, really.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Why is CJL forcing Capezio to win this? Not good. She can't hit over the block, period.

They had a player set a new high in kills. Not what we give up, usually. Coach can usually take the best player out of their game. We didn't. Our defense isn't where it should be.

This is a bad loss. Coupled with the soccer team losing, bad night. We need the football team to pick things up tomorrow. Wrestling team team needs to be put on notice. This needs to be the year.

they did a great job shutting Capezio down tonight. Conaway came on and they still didn't control Schaben but it wasn't enough. The decent blocking from this afternoon was gone.

I go back and forth on whether we need to do a balls to the wall pre conference schedule.......Bond had them playing Hawaii and UCLA. Think they took a set from HI. Definitely seems like playing those top teams early can go either way but it looks like it was good for Iowa.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
??? Shymansky has not been able to recruit like he thought he would - adds some non-descript transfers but shut out of any top players, especially in Iowa. They either go to elite programs (like to Texas or Neb) or CJL gets them. He has no talent, yet he beats ISU...it's stunning, really.

he was a top candidate for the UW job. He's not a slouch. We better be prepared for this to be far more of a rivalry going forward than it has been.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Christy still didn't seem to know where her defense was going to come from? I didn't look at our service errors, but they seemed to come at really bad times. If you have the stats from GameWatcher, Capezio is really struggling, but yet she gets set all the time. Teams notice that.

Bad effort, I thought. All around. Can't happen moving forward.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
he was a top candidate for the UW job. He's not a slouch. We better be prepared for this to be far more of a rivalry going forward than it has been.

Totally agree. I think he's a very good coach. Just never thought he would beat us so soon, with the roster he has. There's just no comparison - none - between the talent of ISU and Iowa.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well I'd rather lose to them in VB than FB, but still disappointing. Hope the FB team gets them tomorrow. CJL still has plenty of time to play the team into the NCAA's.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Christy still didn't seem to know where her defense was going to come from? I didn't look at our service errors, but they seemed to come at really bad times. If you have the stats from GameWatcher, Capezio is really struggling, but yet she gets set all the time. Teams notice that.

Bad effort, I thought. All around. Can't happen moving forward.

Iowa had like 16 service errors. So ours may have been poorly timed, but I can't think they were the problem. But yeah, I don't think this is an awful loss, but I don't want to see it going forward. I'm hoping that one game a day will be a good thing for us.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Totally agree. I think he's a very good coach. Just never thought he would beat us so soon, with the roster he has. There's just no comparison - none - between the talent of ISU and Iowa.

we may have the pieces, but he seems to have put together a strong unit. I have to suspect that the quality teams they played prior to us kept them from being intimidated.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

The wrestling team isn't going to touch Iowa.

I'm not much into volleyball but my cousin is a club coach in the state and says the Iowa coach is top notch. Right up there with ours.

We'll get them tomorrow and whip them in men's hoops. That's good enough for me.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
The wrestling team isn't going to touch Iowa.

I'm not much into volleyball but my cousin is a club coach in the state and says the Iowa coach is top notch. Right up there with ours.

We'll get them tomorrow and whip them in men's hoops. That's good enough for me.

We'll see about tomorow very soon. That will be what it is, just like the other sports you mentioned.

There are many sports in the Cy-Hawk, though. Who knows about the basketball team? The women lost last year, I don't see that again.

The wrestling isn't going to be what your dad used to see. We'll see about that. It's at our place. Not like it hasn't happened before.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
We'll see about tomorow very soon. That will be what it is, just like the other sports you mentioned.

There are many sports in the Cy-Hawk, though. Who knows about the basketball team? The women lost last year, I don't see that again.

The wrestling isn't going to be what your dad used to see. We'll see about that. It's at our place. Not like it hasn't happened before.

I have little doubt we will win today.

They just plain had a better womens hoops team last year. Let's hope that changes. Just like we just plain have a better men's hoops team and program.

You play the "games" for a reason but wrestling looks to be a walk yet again. They return 5 AAs, we don't return any and two of our best wrestlers are currently suspended.

At the end of the day all I truly care about are football, men's basketball and wrestling. I care a little about women's hoops and that's about it. Overall the Cy Hawk series just doesn't matter much to me as long as we take care of business in those sports.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN

Do do you even know what you're talking about? Shymansky has brought in more talent to Iowa City than what has existed before. They've got four transfers that were pretty highly regarded in their own right. (Including 3 SEC starters) they'll have a very strong class coming in again next fall. Janota is going to be good and she's only a sophomore. Iowa should have hired Shymansky instead of Dingman years ago

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron