Volleyball Recruits - 2012

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
With three seniors graduating in Victoria Henson (OH), Ashley Mass (DS/L). and Cassie Pratt (S/DS), we know Christy has added three 2011 recruits in Tory Knuth (MB), Tori Hurtt (OH), and Taylor Goetz (S/DS).

After next season we will say good-bye to four seniors in Debbie Stadick (MB), Kelsey Peterson (RS), Caitlin Mahoney (DS), and Carly Jensen (OH). From what I have been able to find, Christy already has four commits for 2012 to replace them:

Mckenzie Bigbee, 6'1" OH - Williamsburg - Top 50 in junior class

Morgan Kuhrt, 6'0" OH - Waverly-Shell Rock see article: Ames Tribune > Archives > Ames Tribune > Sports > ISU volleyball: Bigbee, Kuhrt commit to play for Cyclones

Caitlin Nolan, 5'6" L - Southlake, TX scroll down link for pic: Texas Advantage Volleyball Club

Andie Malloy, 6'1" S - Lucas, TX Top 50 in junior class

Nice to see Christy get a couple more top 50 recruits, and to follow BF's lead to grab a couple of Texas players. Also note the height of the setter Malloy. Any concern of not having height at setter when Landwehr is done can be put to rest.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
[QUOTE
Nice to see Christy get a couple more top 50 recruits, and to follow BF's lead to grab a couple of Texas players. Also note the height of the setter Malloy. Any concern of not having height at setter when Landwehr is done can be put to rest.[/QUOTE]

Nice class of recruits. Our talent has been great with coach. Would love to see some impact players right away, even out of the kids coming in. Why do we have to wait until Landwehr is done? I hate to single her out, but this team is lacking something to get over the hump, from being good to being great. I would hope that the best setters and passers hit the court.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
[QUOTE
Nice to see Christy get a couple more top 50 recruits, and to follow BF's lead to grab a couple of Texas players. Also note the height of the setter Malloy. Any concern of not having height at setter when Landwehr is done can be put to rest.

Nice class of recruits. Our talent has been great with coach. Would love to see some impact players right away, even out of the kids coming in. Why do we have to wait until Landwehr is done? I hate to single her out, but this team is lacking something to get over the hump, from being good to being great. I would hope that the best setters and passers hit the court.[/QUOTE]

Landwehr was just a freshman last year, you know? Criminy.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
Nice class of recruits. Our talent has been great with coach. Would love to see some impact players right away, even out of the kids coming in. Why do we have to wait until Landwehr is done? I hate to single her out, but this team is lacking something to get over the hump, from being good to being great. I would hope that the best setters and passers hit the court.

Landwehr was just a freshman last year, you know? Criminy.[/QUOTE]

Actually, junior who barely played as a freshman.

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
I think she won't be junior eligiblilty wise until next fall. She saw limited action her freshman year and this last season was her first major action.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Two Iowa preps in the class of 2011, Haley Eckerman and Ali Stark, would have been "impact players," but instead chose to play for Texas (Eckerman) and Illinois (Stark).
Eckerman is one of the top 3 national recruits, and Stark is top 50.
Here's hoping Christy builds a fence around the state!

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Eckerman is one of the top 3 national recruits, and Stark is top 50.
Here's hoping Christy builds a fence around the state!

What was the deal with Eckerman? I think she wanted to play with some girls on her AAU team that ended up at UT, also. That was frustrating, who knows, maybe she'll get homesick.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
What was the deal with Eckerman? I think she wanted to play with some girls on her AAU team that ended up at UT, also. That was frustrating, who knows, maybe she'll get homesick.

Eckerman is a big=time disruptive diva who has caused numerous issues on her club teams. I doubt she will be a productive player at Texas.

For whatever reason, Ali Stark wanted to play in the Big 10. She chose Illinois over Penn State. I'm sure Christy would have loved to sign Stark but she probably isn't losing any sleep over not signing Eckerman.

cyclofan

Jul 25, 2011
With three seniors graduating in Victoria Henson (OH), Ashley Mass (DS/L). and Cassie Pratt (S/DS), we know Christy has added three 2011 recruits in Tory Knuth (MB), Tori Hurtt (OH), and Taylor Goetz (S/DS).

After next season we will say good-bye to four seniors in Debbie Stadick (MB), Kelsey Peterson (RS), Caitlin Mahoney (DS), and Carly Jensen (OH). From what I have been able to find, Christy already has four commits for 2012 to replace them:

Morgan Kuhrt, 6'0" OH - Waverly-Shell Rock see article: Ames Tribune > Archives > Ames Tribune > Sports > ISU volleyball: Bigbee, Kuhrt commit to play for Cyclones

Caitlin Nolan, 5'6" L - Southlake, TX scroll down link for pic: Texas Advantage Volleyball Club

Christy also has a verbal comittment from another very highly recruited setter, Kathryn Gallagher, from 1st Alliance VBC in the Chicago area. Word is that she is very athletic and a great floor leader.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa

Mckenzie Bigbee and Morgan Kuhrt made the all tournament team at USAV Junior National Championships. Bigbee was the MVP. Their team, Six Pack out of Cedar Falls won the 18 National Tournament.

cyclofan

Jul 25, 2011
#80 Kathryn Gallagher made 2012 PrepVolleyball.com Senior Aces (Top 100): "One of the fastest setters in the class of 2012, Gallagher’s play is cat-like in that she is quick, bouncy and determined to get what she wants. She rarely needs help getting to any passes and takes a majority of those with her hands. And what beautiful hands they are! Gallagher’s high release holds the middle blocker at bay until she’s ready to deliver an accurate and tactically smart set to one of her hitters. Quick defensively -- her speed allows her to get to most balls on her feet – and possessing a great jump float serve, Gallagher is more than just an assist machine. She also blocks pretty well for a small setter. “Probably her greatest asset is her ability to assess the situation and make a great decision in a calm fashion regardless of where our team stands in the match,â€￾ said York head coach Patty Iverson. Gallagher will bring her dynamic play and intensity for winning to the Iowa State Cyclones in the fall of 2012"

I am sure the other 2012 recruits will make it too. Great to see a strong class coming.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
#80 Kathryn Gallagher made 2012 PrepVolleyball.com Senior Aces (Top 100): "One of the fastest setters in the class of 2012, Gallagher’s play is cat-like in that she is quick, bouncy and determined to get what she wants. She rarely needs help getting to any passes and takes a majority of those with her hands. And what beautiful hands they are! Gallagher’s high release holds the middle blocker at bay until she’s ready to deliver an accurate and tactically smart set to one of her hitters. Quick defensively -- her speed allows her to get to most balls on her feet – and possessing a great jump float serve, Gallagher is more than just an assist machine. She also blocks pretty well for a small setter. “Probably her greatest asset is her ability to assess the situation and make a great decision in a calm fashion regardless of where our team stands in the match,â€￾ said York head coach Patty Iverson. Gallagher will bring her dynamic play and intensity for winning to the Iowa State Cyclones in the fall of 2012"

I am sure the other 2012 recruits will make it too. Great to see a strong class coming.

Do you now know what Andie Malloy and Mackenzie Bigbee are ranked?

Cyclones29

Sep 7, 2011
Do you now know what Andie Malloy and Mackenzie Bigbee are ranked?

40. Caitlin Nolan, 5-6 Libero, Carroll (Southlake, Texas), TAV – Iowa State
Arguably the best pure libero in the 2012 class, Nolan may be classified as a back row player, but she plays the ENTIRE court. A joy to watch, Nolan is a pinpoint passer and instinctive defender but is so much more than that. She sets from the back row, controls the action around her and is the ultimate leader. Said TAV director L.J. Sariego: “Caitlin is the strongest kid on the ball that I have ever seen. She sets from out of system better than any libero out there, high school or college. Caitlin is a total gym rat, and has been since she was 13. Hands down, the best libero we have ever had at TAV.â€￾ Nolan has committed to Iowa State and will bring her ball control and unrelenting defense to a Cyclone team already known for those two things.

36. Mackenzie Bigbee, 6-2 RS, Williamsburg (Iowa), Nike Six Pack – Iowa State
One of the best blockers in the nation, she can take over a match shutting down the opposing team’s outside hitters, something she did with such effectiveness that she was named 18 National MVP in Atlanta several weeks ago. A lefty, Bigbee has taken her offensive game to a new level in the past year. She has a beautiful arm swing that is power packed and knows how to mix in the right shot as well. A 10-5 toucher, the bigger the match the higher Bigbee takes her level of play. She dedicates all of her time to volleyball year-round, yet somehow finds a way to play and excel in basketball, softball and track. Intelligent, hard working humble and very reserved, she should really take off when able to focus on volleyball full time. Bigbee has committed to Iowa State. The small town Iowa girl will be making a big name for herself in Ames.

35. Andie Malloy, 6-1 S/RS, Lovejoy (Lucas, Texas), Skyline – Iowa State
Versatile and powerful, Malloy, a two-time USA Youth National Team performer, is, more than anything, a winner. Sweet natured and a natural leader, teams with Malloy on it always do well because her teammates want to play with and for her. Off the court she is nurturing to teammates and cares about everyone in her program from the freshmen to those with her on varsity. Always calm and cool on the court, Malloy is a ferocious player at the net, whether blocking or hitting, and knows how to deliver the ball to the right target as a setter. Whether she sets or hits at Iowa State, she will bring a calm confidence to the gym every day.

This class will do big things at Iowa State!!

Reactions: nickcyv

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
Eckerman is a big=time disruptive diva who has caused numerous issues on her club teams. I doubt she will be a productive player at Texas.

For whatever reason, Ali Stark wanted to play in the Big 10. She chose Illinois over Penn State. I'm sure Christy would have loved to sign Stark but she probably isn't losing any sleep over not signing Eckerman.

Haley Eckerman also has a one year old; she had a baby sometime before her senior year! He is listed on her Texas Volleyball profile.... I'm really surprised she didn't stay closer to home aka UNI or ISU... I wonder how much CJL recruited her? She has a cocky attitude that will fit in a Texas just fine

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Thanks for the new info. As indicated at the top of this thread, Malloy and Bigbee were Top 50 as juniors. Nice to see Nolan join them in the senior ratings which take into account this past spring and summer club tournaments. Add Gallagher and we have at least four in the top 80 in this class. With the way Hurtt, Willms, Matlock, and Hahn are already being integrated from the last two classes, things are only getting better.