w/ Ryan Harklau (1 hr)

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'll be honest, I find it stupid that people take the hype all that seriously. It's the same thing when CW or the guy on 247 talk about players that they've heard good things about. People act like it is the Word of God or some stupid **** like that instead of some low level staffer telling them the first player that comes to mind.

I'd much rather enjoy the preseason and have some hope. It's not going to make any of us less sad/mad if the season sucks.
How true! Why not have a little fun and optimism?

The negativity will come soon enough, deserved or not! :D

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
Hark was optimistic, but did not say much about WR and was NOT optimistic about the kickers. What does that mean?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I like homer announcers too, but I feel like Hark is 100% blowing smoke up asses to get people excited and a week from now this thread will be bumped with a bunch of angry posts.

I do really like Hark, but I don’t believe a ******* word about the OL
but he didn't he say under Clanton the offensive line does not have to be paralyzed by thinking to much? I mean, he gave a reason for his optimism and to me it makes sense. He has seen that line against our defense, and I don't think or D is chopped liver. I just hope they avoid so many false starts, especially in the red zone, that killed so many drives the last few years under Manning. SEVEN false starts in a bowl game. That should never ever happen.

Reactions: isufbcurt

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Does Hansen have good hands? If so, hopefully he can be another good target for our QB.
Why not? A la Christian McCaffrey (Harklau mentioned hm, not me!) at San Fran!

No pressure there!
I would assume so seeing as how he played in a Wing T offense. I know from playing in a wing T myself that running backs are often used in a manner that is somewhere between an H-back or slot receiver role on the perimeter, and you often catch a lot of passes on short routes and take a lot of handoffs in reverses.

There's different variations, obviously. But generally speaking, the flexibility with a hybrid running back, or "wing backs" that can run and catch, is what sets Wing T offenses apart. It's kind of a 2.5 running back set with both outside backs doing similar things, but one is a little more run heavy and one is a little more receiver heavy in their respective duties, and it also features a dive back in the middle similar to a wishbone or triple option fullback. All 3 backs are somewhat interchangeable at times though, depending on the call.

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
I like homer announcers too, but I feel like Hark is 100% blowing smoke up asses to get people excited and a week from now this thread will be bumped with a bunch of angry posts.

I do really like Hark, but I don’t believe a ******* word about the OL
He's a part of WeWIl. He needs to sell to people we have draft picks up and down the roster so we can get $ to retain. He is doing his job by getting the hype train rolling.

I don't believe alot of what was said.. but damn I'm ready for Saturday now.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He's a part of WeWIl. He needs to sell to people we have draft picks up and down the roster so we can get $ to retain. He is doing his job by getting the hype train rolling.

I don't believe alot of what was said.. but damn I'm ready for Saturday now.

Wouldn't it be a push for We Will if he said 'there aren't good players, donate so we can get them!'?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wouldn't it be a push for We Will if he said 'there aren't good players, donate so we can get them!'?
Yeah Ryan said nothing wrong and nothing that most of us already know. We are rarely going to be pulling in very high rated guys, but when we develop guys and they turn into studs, we have to be competitive enough to keep them here.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I've been fighting the NIL crap since the beginning, but between Bruns last week and Harklau in this interview, I succumbed and joined the WeWill collective. We are the cheapest fanbase in America, and if my $10/month can help the program retain some of these quality young men, and women, then I guess I should. Glad I didn't read the "realists" posts before contributing. Harklau gets me excited and then I read posts on here and don't know if we will win a game.

On another note, I sure wish Eric would hand over the football color duty to a guy like Ryan. I love Eric, a great Cyclone, but let him do BB and get a football guy in.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
After watching this, I’m mentally running through the position groups.

Safeties: Great
Corners: Great
Linebackers: 2/3 really good + Tyson Veidt = …Pretty Good
Defensive Line: Really Good
Offensive Line: Vastly Proved = …..Good?
Tight Ends: Good, morphing towards Very Good
Running Backs: Harklau Approved = Very Good

The only two groupings I didn’t catch much on (from Harklau) were Wideouts and Quarterback. At least, specifics about talent for QB. Did I miss that?

However, from what I’ve heard elsewhere (largely about Higgins), I’d have to rate that position…

WR: Good, Trending Upwards

And lastly, while I really, really respect the talent of Rocco Becht and JJ Kohl, I can’t bring myself to expect a Brock Purdy freshman season out of either of them. You know, in spite of the fact that both of them have already been on campus longer than Brock was before his first action. And thus…

QB: ?

(That said, I’d rank both Becht and Kohl ahead of Meyer and Arnaud in terms of base talent)
What’s you’re preferred flavor of Kool Aid?

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
I’m standing back from the ticket counter on that particular train, waiting to see more. I still remember all too well that AHS kid a few years back everyone was drooling over—who racked up tons of yards in high school, then vanished into the walkon program without so much as sniffing the field.
Oh boy. Please don’t tell me you’re putting that kid in the same category as Abu…

And you’re ready to anoint the LBs as “really good” when Vaughn is the only returning starter, who I love, but wasn’t even HM all big 12. The irony has no ends with you

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
No.

But the guy's comments are hard to trace back to being a promotion for NIL unless someone just has an axe to grind to make it so.
Lol think what you want but it's pretty evident.

You truely think 3 of our current running backs are playing in the NFL? Or convincing yourself so?