Warning signs of BSD?

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I got a green screen of death today on my four year old Dell laptop. Is this a precursor to the BSD or signs of something more serious. Is there a cure?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Sounds like a video card issue. Is it blank?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
BSD > GSD

and bostinelosd seems to be on the right trail.

safe mode boot work?

-keep

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
There is a self diagnostic thing you can run on Dell laptops that tests a bunch of things hardware wise.

For example...my hard drive would come on solid for a while every so often...I ran the diagnostic...googled the error code and it confirmed my HD is going bad.

Sorry can't remember which F key you use during startup. You want to hit it right when the Dell splash screen displays.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
What is BSD or GSD???

Blue Screen of Death.

blue_screen_of_death.gif

I made up the Green Screen of Death.. as he said he had a green screen

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Blue Screen of Death.

blue_screen_of_death.gif

I made up the Green Screen of Death.. as he said he had a green screen

Yeah, I recognize that screen......best to have backed up your system before seeing that thing! :no:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If you can get back to your OS, back up your files ASAP. I got the BSD a while ago and shortly after my hard drive failed. I lost everything.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I used to get that screen all the time.. computer was running terribly.

After awhile I upgraded my computer from XP to Vista. Haven't had any issues for last 3 months.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I have a coworker that has a daily flare-up. I restarted my computer and everything has been working fine for the last couple hours.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I have a coworker that has a daily flare-up. I restarted my computer and everything has been working fine for the last couple hours.

back up everything.. NOW!

best advice I can give you.

-keep

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I've heard of the Blue screen of death, but not the Green screen of death. Is that like the green card for computers.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
You know what I love? When your computer freezes up and you lose what you're working on and that dumb person has to come up to you and say "That's why you save." I spent three years in jail for shoving my pen through a coworker's ear once for saying that.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
BSDs really can be anything. Sometimes its hardware other times it's a corrupt OS files or a piece of software that is causing it. That's what sucks the most about BSDs are that it's not always clear cut what is causing them.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Personally, I prefer to embrace the BSD as a close personal friend. The kind of friend that is difficult to stay in touch, but always manages to stop by every few months or so to say hello. Usually he just visits for a brief stop, but sometimes he pop in every day for a while, even several times a day. But then, you must regrettably say goodbye and move on, knowing he will be back in the not too distant future.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
You know what I love? When your computer freezes up and you lose what you're working on and that dumb person has to come up to you and say "That's why you save." I spent three years in jail for shoving my pen through a coworker's ear once for saying that.

Wow, we have a con in our midst:skeptical:

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008

I few years ago I had a guy ask me if I could check the files on a floppy. I put it in my PC and as soon as I accessed it my PC locked up. The guy then says "Weird, that's what happened to my PC too". Thankfully I didn't lose any work, but if I did that guy might have got an up close view of the inside of my monitor.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
BSDs really can be anything. Sometimes its hardware other times it's a corrupt OS files or a piece of software that is causing it. That's what sucks the most about BSDs are that it's not always clear cut what is causing them.

Hit the best Buy Computer Geek Squad aisle?