Washington DC Family Vaca

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
So my family is planning a vacation for this year to Washington D.C.

I have not been to DC or really anywhere in that area.

I am spending a ton of time looking at all the things to do and there is a ton. But Hoping some on here have some pointers.

Will be traveling with my wife and 2 youngest kids, ages 8, 11. They love history so we want to do this while they are interested. We are thinking of extending trip a few days to go to Virginia Beach, because the other option for this year was a beach vaca, so we thought we could get the best of both worlds. We also may go to Philadelphia to see the historical places there before going to DC

Some things I am looking for info on:
  • Best way to get around DC, obviously trying to drive around is not the way, also keep in mind I have a bad leg so am trying to reduce walking some (not eliminate it) I know I will be walking a lot just dont want to walk an extra amount too and from hotel etc.
  • Best things to do and see. DC area, Phili, Va Beach, Gettysburg. etc
  • best places to eat, hopefully some budget friendly
  • best hotels in these areas. we like ones with kitchens etc for longer stays, residence inn, extended stay, suites etc. At least for DC being we will be staying there the longest. Gives us a little extra room and a chance to not eat out quite as much.
  • possible places to stop on way to and from that area, sites to see, Civ war spots, etc. in routes to and from the DC, Va Beach area.
The length of time is completely in flux right now, Thinking somewhere 10-14 days total with drive time. Depending on the extra addons outside DC.

Thanks in advance for any info and help!!!

Reactions: Clone83

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The Metro is really easy to use and gets you to most places you'll be interested in seeing. I know they've cut hours due to funding problems, but I'm guessing the tourist stops will be fine.

If you go to Gettysburg spring for the guide that drives your car for you and does the tour. Well worth the money.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So my family is planning a vacation for this year to Washington D.C.

I have not been to DC or really anywhere in that area.

I am spending a ton of time looking at all the things to do and there is a ton. But Hoping some on here have some pointers.

Will be traveling with my wife and 2 youngest kids, ages 8, 11. They love history so we want to do this while they are interested. We are thinking of extending trip a few days to go to Virginia Beach, because the other option for this year was a beach vaca, so we thought we could get the best of both worlds. We also may go to Philadelphia to see the historical places there before going to DC

Some things I am looking for info on:
  • Best way to get around DC, obviously trying to drive around is not the way, also keep in mind I have a bad leg so am trying to reduce walking some (not eliminate it) I know I will be walking a lot just dont want to walk an extra amount too and from hotel etc.
  • Best things to do and see. DC area, Phili, Va Beach, Gettysburg. etc
  • best places to eat, hopefully some budget friendly
  • best hotels in these areas. we like ones with kitchens etc for longer stays, residence inn, extended stay, suites etc. At least for DC being we will be staying there the longest. Gives us a little extra room and a chance to not eat out quite as much.
  • possible places to stop on way to and from that area, sites to see, Civ war spots, etc. in routes to and from the DC, Va Beach area.
The length of time is completely in flux right now, Thinking somewhere 10-14 days total with drive time. Depending on the extra addons outside DC.

Thanks in advance for any info and help!!!

I hit the National Mall for a day and didn't feel like I came close to seeing everything at the Smithsonian and just the area. Pretty amazing stuff.

It started to rain and I was just looking to duck into a building. I saw a line of people waiting to get in.

I went through security and next thing I see the Magna Carta then I'm standing there looking at the Constitution.

It was just me and the guard for a few. I said, "Is this the...the...actual document?". Yep

Totally unexpected. Totally free. Congress. The Kittyhawk plane. Moon and Gemini capsules.

The Vietnam Memorial. Fords Theater. I didn't know what to expect but I walked until my feet couldn't take any more. All free

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The Metro is the easiest way to get around. I'd find a hotel somewhere off the metro. We stayed in Chevy Chase, MD at a siblings house and it wasn't bad at all.

The Air and Space Museum at Dulles is fantastic and probably my favorite museum we visited. Seeing aircrafts like the SR-71, the Enola Gay, a concorde, the full on space shuttle discovery, etc... was pretty awesome. The Holocaust museum is a close second.

You could spend every day, for 10 days, at the National Mall and not see everything. Just pick Smithsonian museums that interest you. Walk around and see the other monuments and war memorials. You may be able to talk to your state rep to get a white house visit but they can be canceled at any time based on what's going on. We had one scheduled but it was cancelled that morning.

The National Museum of the Marine Corps was alright. The Ford's Theatre was pretty meh.

Last but not least, try different foods. The area is culturally diverse and so are the restaurants. There is a ton to choose from.

Reactions: 2speedy1

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Call or email your rep or senator to get pass for the capital. Only way you'll get in.
You're going to have to walk. Just no way around it so I'd plan specific smaller trips you can handle.
Just find a hotel you like near a metro station out side main area. The metro is a good experience on its own and its usually all positive.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
A few more notes. I forgot I had asked for recs from my sibling for a neighbor. It has been about 7 years since they lived there but this is what they told me.

Restaurants:
Jaleo
Matchbox Pizza
Bethesda Crab House

Korea, WW2, Vietnam and Lincoln memorials are awesome at night.
Mt. Vernon is really good.
Antietam Battlefield in Maryland is really good.

Reactions: 2speedy1 and NWICY

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Agree on the Metro. Very easy to get around.

When our family went there we hit up as much as we could in a day:

Capitol tour (contact Senator or rep office to set something up)
White House tour (think these are only available if POTUS is out of town, but cool to see)
National Mall with all the war memorials
Arlington Cemetery - saw changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Holocaust Museum
Several museums on the Mall you can check out depending on your interests & time: American History, Natural History, Archives, etc.

Even if you're not specifically visiting or touring something, just walking around and taking in the city is a great experience.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Best US tourist city for a family. The Metro will get you everywhere you want to go and most things are free. Between the monuments and the mall it’s easy to fill a few days.

Your kids are the perfect age for the Smithsonian Museums, they’ll love them (and they’re all free).

Reactions: NWICY and 2speedy1

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Went back in 2019.

METRO is super easy to get around on. We took it everywhere.

Gettysburg, Mt. Vernon, Air and Space Museum ( by Dulles), Holocaust Museum, National Gallery of Art, National Archives, Arlington National Cemetery, Capital tour, tour of the Monuments at Night (left from Union Station). For a change of pace we visited Shenandoah National Park for a day.

We stayed in Arlington, close to a Metro station. Also chose the location because it was close to my brother-in-law's apartment.

For food, we hit up a few spots just north of the Mall to avoid the crowds and prices of the museum cafes. Also tried some restaurants in Georgetown and close to our hotel in Arlington.

Even though most of the tours are free, you have to sign-up (reservations) well in advance for timed entry passes. Plan accordingly as some are closed on certain days.

Take the free tour at the air and space museum. Our guide was a pilot from the SR-71 program. TONS of knowledge.

Reactions: NWICY and 2speedy1

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
If you decide to go to VA Beach, stop by Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown if you like history.

Last edited:

cyclone618

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 2, 2011
Ankeny
Consider getting a VRBO/Airbnb instead of a hotel. You can likely get one for considerably less than a hotel.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Holocaust and national archives. The national mall at night is best. You really notice more for some reason.

Ford theater. Gettysburg if driving, each tour guide is different so you learn more each time.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Quick question,

Those of you talking the Metro, are you talking the Bus lines or the Train lines?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Went back in 2019.

METRO is super easy to get around on. We took it everywhere.

Gettysburg, Mt. Vernon, Air and Space Museum ( by Dulles), Holocaust Museum, National Gallery of Art, National Archives, Arlington National Cemetery, Capital tour, tour of the Monuments at Night (left from Union Station). For a change of pace we visited Shenandoah National Park for a day.

We stayed in Arlington, close to a Metro station. Also chose the location because it was close to my brother-in-law's apartment.

For food, we hit up a few spots just north of the Mall to avoid the crowds and prices of the museum cafes. Also tried some restaurants in Georgetown and close to our hotel in Arlington.

Even though most of the tours are free, you have to sign-up (reservations) well in advance for timed entry passes. Plan accordingly as some are closed on certain days.

Take the free tour at the air and space museum. Our guide was a pilot from the SR-71 program. TONS of knowledge.

Dang I bet that guide was super interesting