Washington DC Family Vaca

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Take the kid to eat at Ben's Chilli Bowl. It's a DC institution with pictures of celebrities, Presidents, politicians, etc. all over the walls. If I remember correctly, the original U Street location maybe wasn't in the nicest area, but this would have been years ago so alot could have changed. I know they have a few other locations as well.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Like others have said, visit the monuments at night. The later the better. Went to Lincoln Memorial at 2 am. Only other person was a guard. Same for Jefferson Memorial

I like a restaurant called Bullfeathers near the Senate offices. It mostly staff and interns. Most places have outside seating.

If you decide to do the tour of Fords Theatre, right after the presentation in the theater go across the street to the house where they took the president then go back to the museum at the theater. The house is small so go when everyone else goes to the museum. The Lincoln’s summer home is interesting.

I love Mount Vernon. Sit on the porch and look over the river and relax.

Not sure if your children are old enough for the Holocaust museum. Lots of reading and it takes time.

We have a family member that lives in the district. When I visit it’s basically the Archives and LOC. I do genealogy and it’s amazing to actually handle the papers from a civil war solder’s pension file

Reactions: 2speedy1

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
The best advise I ever got when visiting DC was use Capital Bikeshare and bike the National Mall early in the morning, before the tourist are out in force. It is truly a beautiful ride and you get to see ALL of the amazing sites in less than an hour.

It allowed me to check a lot of boxes, take pictures, and quickly get across the mall (WHICH is HUGE). You simply cannot walk and see everything versus taking the bikes.

Then once you have seen everything, you can walk to the museums that you truely want to spend time in without feeling rushed to see everything you want.

DC is by far my favorite large city, it's amazing how clean it is versus the armpit of Philly and NYC.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’d check the schedule for the changing of the guard. When we were there the German secretary of defense placed a wreath.

View attachment 124277
It was quite interesting compared to the normal changing.
Also you can then look at papers about it and find more photos. I found this one and you can see someone I know in it.

They bring out bands, reps from every division and reps from the country for some of these.

IMG_0894.jpg

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
Sorry, I didn’t read the entire thread, so a lot of this may be duplicative, but I’ve lived in the DC area for 15 years, and here is a list of things I always send to friends/family who reach out about visiting DC. I also included helpful tips about what locations require tickets (mostly free, but timed) so you don’t get shut out somewhere – especially in the summer time.

Walk the national mall – you can see all the monuments. Capitol building, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, Korean War Memorial, World War II Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, The Reflecting pool, FDR Memorial, MLK Memorial. Also a great place to run if you’re a runner. Doing this is also fun at night. The memorials have totally different feel at night when they are lit up.

Smithsonian Museums (on the national mall) – American History, Natural History, Air & Space, Native American, African American, The Smithsonian Castle. (There is also an Air & Space Museum extension at Dulles Airport that has the really big planes – it’s worth the trek).

Holocaust Museum – (get advanced reserved tickets if going in the Summer). They are free, but they limit the number of people that go in at a time.

National Archives – just off the national mall on Constitution Avenue. Again, get advanced timed tickets if going in the summer. You can wait in line for an hour or two if you don’t.

Capitol tour – get in touch with your congressman or senator. I recommend both, as you will likely get a chance to meet them.

Library of Congress – one of the most beautiful buildings in the city. Highly recommend touring it. Again, get advanced timed tickets in the summer.

Supreme Court – recommend trying to tour if you get a chance.

The White House – I believe they are doing tours again (closed during Covid). I think you can get them through the WH Visitors center (in advance) and possibly through your congressman.

Arlington National Cemetery – Must see in my opinion. See the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (done every 30 minutes in summer), JFK’s gravesite, Audie Murphy’s gravesite (most decorated WWII soldier – it’s near the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and the Lee Mansion.

Mount Vernon – George Washington’s Home. It’s a bit outside the city, but absolutely worth the short trip (a Cab or uber can get you there). Can tour Washington’s home, walk the grounds, see his tomb, and the view of the Potomac River is fantastic. If you’re coming near the 4th of July, they do fireworks over the river. Get tickets when they go on sale as they will sell out. My wife and I are members here and go frequently, so I highly recommend it. Also, do brunch at the Mount Vernon Inn. It’s very good. Make a reservation in advance. You can also tour his distillery during the summer (advance tickets and dates) and can get Rye Whiskey that is made using his exact recipe and formula – can get this in the gift shop as well. He was one of the largest whiskey distributors in the US after his Presidency.

National Zoo – it’s an ok zoo frankly, but I’d put this way down on my list. Omaha and Minneapolis zoos are better – especially now that there is no Panda at the National Zoo anymore.

Georgetown Waterfront – lots of nice restaurants there (not the cheapest, but fun place to go). Just walking around historic Georgetown is fun too. Georgetown cupcake is here (although it is more of a tourist stop). JFK and Jackie owned a condo in Georgetown when he was elected a Senator. She also moved to Georgetown after he was assassinated.

Ford’s Theatre – Theatre where President Lincoln was assassinated. You can tour the theatre, the museum below (which has the actual gun Booth shot Lincoln with), and the house across the street where Lincoln died. Again, get advance timed tickets in the summer. My wife and I are also members here, and it is worth the visit.

National Cathedral – beautiful building. Recommend touring it.

St. John’s Church – across the plaza from the White House. Virtually every President has attended church here. Some, including Lincoln, regularly. I believe there is still a plaque in the booth where Lincoln sat each Sunday.

USMC/Iwo Jima Memoral – in Rosslyn. Really cool. They do Marine band concerts there during the summer for free. Check the schedule (last I knew they were Tuesday nights)

The Pentagon – You can see the 9/11 memorial near where the plane struck the Pentagon. I don’t believe there are public tours of the Pentagon itself.

Roosevelt Island – Off the GW Parkway, you will likely need an Uber to get here. Can walk around the island and the Teddy Roosevelt Memorial is on the island.

St. Matthew’s Cathedral – where JFK’s funeral took place. I believe there is still a plaque on the sidewalk where JFK Jr. stood to salute his father’s casket.

National Gallery of Art – near Chinatown. They have lots of cool historical and other paintings.

National Portrait Gallery – Near Chinatown as well. Very cool

US Botanic Garden – very pretty in the summer. On the national mall.

International Spy Museum – just reopened a few years ago in a big new building. Note, this museum does charge for admission.

The Kennedy Center - Great place to visit. The view of the Potomac from the roof is gorgeous. They also have a roof top restaurant (will need a reservation). Also, see a show here. There are plenty of ticketed events, as well as free concerts in the concert hall. Check the website for the schedule.

If you’re coming in summer, I also recommend catching a Nationals game at Nationals Park. The team isn’t very good right now, so tickets are not expensive. It’s a fun atmosphere and you will get to see the “President’s Race”. The club has 4 Presidential mascots – Washington, Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, and Lincoln. They roam the park and do a race mid-game. Great if you have kids.

As far as food goes, there are so many restaurants here that you can find any type of food that you want. I do recommend Old Ebbitt Grill – near the White House. Has been in business since 1885. It is a DC icon. Get a reservation, especially in summer! Again, just search online for whatever types of food you’re looking for and you will find it. I’m happy to help with any specific requests!

For transportation – I highly recommend Metro. It admittedly is less reliable than in the past, and the hours have been reduced some due to “budget” issues. But it’s still, by far, the best way to go if you’re visiting the city. I recommend trying to get a hotel, Airbnb or Vrbo that is within easy walking distance of a Metro stop. It will make your life MUCH easier.

I know that's a LONG post, but happy to help. Anyone wanting to do DC, always feel free to DM me! Happy to help fellow Clones any way I can.
I lived in DC for a few years. Great list. Old town Alexandria, on king street, has a bunch of restaurants as well. The waterfront near the baseball stadium is nice too.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I lived in DC for a few years. Great list. Old town Alexandria, on king street, has a bunch of restaurants as well. The waterfront near the baseball stadium is nice too.
I helped close down a bar somewhere in Alexandria. The locals didn’t enjoy our group but the waitress loved us due to the tips. We drank them out of a few things.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Frog

May 6, 2021
I would focus on DC before going to Philly. In Philly the Ben Franklin museum was good. I remember looking into the glass street floor at the footing of his house. lol. The Liberty bell wasn't what I expected. Some nice horse stables in your into that. We didn't spend much time in Philly.

I Liked Gettysburg. As can imagine, much of the cabins are gone but still cool to see the old buildings. I liked the center and we hiked. Spent a day there. We didn't see any reenactments but wished we did.

So much more to see in DC as noted above. Very moving to see the wall and the monuments. We used to visit a lot as my wife's aunt moved there from Iowa as she worked for a politician who moved on to DC and was there a long time. My wife almost went to Georgetown in fact. Are you staying in Airbnb where you can cook? If so go to the dock and get some fresh seafood. We loved that.
HAVE FUN!!!

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Check NPS website - when we went there in 2013, the NPS had a "Night Walk with a Ranger" Program where the Ranger gave a guided tour starting from National WW2 Memorial, to MLK Memorial and FDR Memorial. Just amazing.

Pentagon - we did the tour - you just need to sign up in advance, I think they informed us their decision 2 days before we left (about 3-4 days before the tour). It was cool be in inside the building and the servicemen and servicewomen conducting the tour were absolutely first class. Made me proud of our military.

Arlington National Cemetery: walk around and see the memorials and graves. We were able to find Joe Louis' grave. Went to see the Lockerbie Memorial, Space Shuttle Challenger Memorial, Columbia Memorial. Really a moving place to reflect. When we were there, AG Eric Holder was there to commemorate the 25 years of Lockerbie bombing.

Pick Smithsonian museums that you like and it'll be different for everyone. My favorite was Udvar Hazy followed by National Stamps Museum close to Union Station. The reason for Stamp Museum: it has every stamps that were issued by USPS, including the one that we used to send our wedding invitation. That was so cool.

National Holocaust Museum was extremely moving but it can be rough for children. I and my wife ended up crying at the end.

Ask your congressman/woman if the office gives tour to DC memorials. I know mine did but they didn't have it because we went in December and the staffs went home for the holidays. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I believe you can take pictures inside the White House (we did) instead of just at the porch. We were surprised because we were told no cameras and pictures, but turned out you could take pictures inside the WH during the period.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Arlington National Cemetery - not sure if anyone mentioned this but they also have hop on/off tours that drive you around the major sites of the cemetery. Saves walking and get extra tidbits from tour guides.

Throughout D.C. you can rent bikes/scooters with certain apps that have stations at varying locations. Note - you must be mindful where you plan on getting off so you can check the bike in at a designated station so it doesn't get "stolen" and used on your dime. There are also numerous locations where you are not allowed to ride. Power assist is usually turned off if you break the boundary if I recall. Locations are shown in the app. This was fun riding around the National Mall. But can be a pain if you want to stop/enter a Museum or restricted area.

International Spy Museum - not free as others noted. But it was cool and kids will love it.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Old Post Office. The best views (other than DCA flights) are from the Old Post Office.
Newseum. I also haven't yet been here, but I would really like to visit this museum about the news industry.

The Old Post Office is now a hotel - it was the Trump Hotel, but it was sold last year. I’m guessing you can still get up to the observation tower (which is small, but does have a great view) but I don’t know for certain.

The Newseum was one of my very favorite places to visit, but alas, it has closed and sold the building to Johns Hopkins University.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
If you are willing to stay out of D.C., could try a place like Fredericksburg, VA. A few years ago you could take the train from there to the Metro, then to the stops you want. Fredericksburg has its own history with George Washington and with a Civil War battle there. Union troops were decimated on a charge at Rebel lines. Tie-in to Gettysburg - when Pickett's men neared Cemetery Ridge, the Union soldiers started chanting "Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg."

I agree with the advice on Jamestown and Historical Williamsburg, but add in time for Yorktown.

You're going to have to be terribly choosey on your vacation, or list the things you want to come back and see in a year or two. Gettysburg, Philadelphia, D.C., northern Virginia and the road to Virginia Beach have so much historical significance, it can take a lot of time to appreciate it all. If you are moved by what people in those early eras did and the ideas and views that rose to the top, it can be a little overwhelming.

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
There is so much good advice here, but a couple things from our trip last fall:

1) As others have noted, you need reservations for quite a few of the most popular museums. Still free, but you can't get in unless you have a ticket. We missed out on the Air and Space at the Mall for that reason. African American Museum is really great, very worth it, though some of the information will be tough in ways that the Holocaust Museum is tough for kids. The Native American Museum was disappointing for us. Also, the museums have some legitimately good food, though my oldest was most happy with the Shake Shack at the National Air and Space Museum Annex over by Dulles.

2) Our kids loved Mt. Vernon, and there are quite a few interesting add on tours. We could have easily spent most of the day there. It's a good mix of indoor and outdoor stuff, and you can see Washington's tomb as well.

Enjoy the trip!

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
Newseum closed in 2019-20ish. Some of the other not-free museums are interesting, but if time is at a premium, you'll get plenty from the free stuff.

Not-free museums: Spy Museum, National Building Museum

You can go into the Building Museum without paying (or at least you could a few years ago) - the actual exhibits are behind ticketed areas but the building itself was a great place to cool off on a hot day.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
I spent 25 years in DC area. LIved in Northern Virginia burbs. Am here in DC area now, avoiding winter. A few thoughts:
* you might consider staying near metro stop in No. Va. - Rosslyn, Clarendon, etc Lots of good places to eat in Clarendon

Plus, if you stay near the Metro stop in Rosslyn you get to ride the seemingly unending escalator down to the station. It’s really long! And yet there’s another Metro stop (on the north side of DC: I think) that has an even longer escalator!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
So my family is planning a vacation for this year to Washington D.C.

I have not been to DC or really anywhere in that area.

I am spending a ton of time looking at all the things to do and there is a ton. But Hoping some on here have some pointers.

Will be traveling with my wife and 2 youngest kids, ages 8, 11. They love history so we want to do this while they are interested. We are thinking of extending trip a few days to go to Virginia Beach, because the other option for this year was a beach vaca, so we thought we could get the best of both worlds. We also may go to Philadelphia to see the historical places there before going to DC

Some things I am looking for info on:
  • Best way to get around DC, obviously trying to drive around is not the way, also keep in mind I have a bad leg so am trying to reduce walking some (not eliminate it) I know I will be walking a lot just dont want to walk an extra amount too and from hotel etc.
  • Best things to do and see. DC area, Phili, Va Beach, Gettysburg. etc
  • best places to eat, hopefully some budget friendly
  • best hotels in these areas. we like ones with kitchens etc for longer stays, residence inn, extended stay, suites etc. At least for DC being we will be staying there the longest. Gives us a little extra room and a chance to not eat out quite as much.
  • possible places to stop on way to and from that area, sites to see, Civ war spots, etc. in routes to and from the DC, Va Beach area.
The length of time is completely in flux right now, Thinking somewhere 10-14 days total with drive time. Depending on the extra addons outside DC.

Thanks in advance for any info and help!!!
The Smithsonian. Schedule a full day. Went there in high school and they gave us about 3 hours to tour it all. Couldn't even begin to cover it in that.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Take the kid to eat at Ben's Chilli Bowl. It's a DC institution with pictures of celebrities, Presidents, politicians, etc. all over the walls. If I remember correctly, the original U Street location maybe wasn't in the nicest area, but this would have been years ago so alot could have changed. I know they have a few other locations as well.
Not the greatest area but it's not that bad either. Get a couple blocks away and that changes in a hurry. Definitely worth a stop!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Check NPS website - when we went there in 2013, the NPS had a "Night Walk with a Ranger" Program where the Ranger gave a guided tour starting from National WW2 Memorial, to MLK Memorial and FDR Memorial. Just amazing.

Pentagon - we did the tour - you just need to sign up in advance, I think they informed us their decision 2 days before we left (about 3-4 days before the tour). It was cool be in inside the building and the servicemen and servicewomen conducting the tour were absolutely first class. Made me proud of our military.

Arlington National Cemetery: walk around and see the memorials and graves. We were able to find Joe Louis' grave. Went to see the Lockerbie Memorial, Space Shuttle Challenger Memorial, Columbia Memorial. Really a moving place to reflect. When we were there, AG Eric Holder was there to commemorate the 25 years of Lockerbie bombing.

Pick Smithsonian museums that you like and it'll be different for everyone. My favorite was Udvar Hazy followed by National Stamps Museum close to Union Station. The reason for Stamp Museum: it has every stamps that were issued by USPS, including the one that we used to send our wedding invitation. That was so cool.

National Holocaust Museum was extremely moving but it can be rough for children. I and my wife ended up crying at the end.

Ask your congressman/woman if the office gives tour to DC memorials. I know mine did but they didn't have it because we went in December and the staffs went home for the holidays. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I believe you can take pictures inside the White House (we did) instead of just at the porch. We were surprised because we were told no cameras and pictures, but turned out you could take pictures inside the WH during the period.
We did the night walk with a ranger. We left maybe the Jefferson memorial and he was going to take us on a shortcut around construction. We were stepping in gopher holes, twisting ankles, getting slapped in the face with tree branches all to walk into a corner like we were going to get mugged. We could either climb this fence or go back the way we came. It was a long walk to nowhere.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and 2speedy1

caulkasian

Dec 26, 2018
You can go into the Building Museum without paying (or at least you could a few years ago) - the actual exhibits are behind ticketed areas but the building itself was a great place to cool off on a hot day.
I stand corrected. Yes, the building is free. The museum is not.

If you stay in Rosslyn, don't miss this. Your kids will be over the moon to see the landmarks and places, and you'll be happy you didn't have to wait in line at the Washington Monument or Old Post Office.

Help Support Us

Become a patron