Washington hires Jedd Fisch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Kirk Ferentz might make a call to Washington. He is likely pissed at the administration at Iowa and he could sell his knowledge of the Big 10. Kirk doesn’t seem like a guy that likes change, but maybe he is ready for one last change. Not likely, but seems more logical than Matt right now.

Reactions: aauummm

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Kirk Ferentz might make a call to Washington. He is likely pissed at the administration at Iowa and he could sell his knowledge of the Big 10. Kirk doesn’t seem like a guy that likes change, but maybe he is ready for one last change. Not likely, but seems more logical than Matt right now.
Not to mention, proven success in the B1G. and he is now able to provide a job for his son again

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I doubt a coach that hates playing on the West coast would move there. His personality matches dreary Seattle though.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I legitimately think Matt could have had that Lions job if he wanted it. Agreed he missed his window if he really wanted to leave and I imagine he’s aware of that.

I love Matt Campbell and hope he stays forever but think he would be a disaster in the NFL with his technical coaching. He’s a program/culture builder but his Xs and Os approach leaves something to be desired.

And we haven’t seen a successful college to NFL transition since Pete Carroll 15+ years ago. Way more disasters than successes.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
If he is at Washington, he isn’t losing to Ohio or Memphis. This is what you don’t get. The talent level and the resources make the margin for error different than it is here. It comes with its own challenges, but coaching at Washington isn’t the same as coaching at Iowa State. I do not see Washington as a good fit for Matt, but to bash him for what he has done at Iowa State is dumb. For much of my life our football team was one of the worst in P5 and one of the worst jobs in P5. HE changed that. I don’t know if he is a take at an elite program right now, but I know lots of P5 programs would jump at the opportunity to get him.

Washington lost to Montana in 2021. If Campbell left, he’d have plenty of opportunities to lose to lesser teams.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm assuming the Husch Blackwell report would keep Kirk from any new job, seems like UW alum/fans would really be against it.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Know this is about Campbell, but DeBoer seems like a weird fit at Bama. SoDak native who's spent his entire career in the Midwest and West Coast.

But, he's also an outstanding coach, so he'll probably do well.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I love Matt Campbell and hope he stays forever but think he would be a disaster in the NFL with his technical coaching. He’s a program/culture builder but his Xs and Os approach leaves something to be desired.

And we haven’t seen a successful college to NFL transition since Pete Carroll 15+ years ago. Way more disasters than successes.

I’d say Jim Harbaugh was successful. No losing seasons, 3 NFC championship appearances.

It didn’t end the best, but he did better than a lot of head coaches in the NFL will ever do.

And do we really count Carroll in that? He was an NFL head coach before he was a head coach in college. Seahawks was his third chance to get it right in the NFL.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
IMO This will be CMC's last best chance to get into the BIG. But, I agree with others that Pollard is going to make it worth his while to stay,
Not sure about that, but If he’s a candidate and wants to get into the Big 10, UW would be a really good job. Not to mention you could imagine urgency to get into the Big 10 to be as high as ever given realignment.

I think the public perception of Campbell is still very positive. 2021 and 2022 hurt but that took him from miracle worker to really good coach.

I probably think more highly of UW than others but I would rank it only behind OSU, UM, SC and PSU.

edit: forgot Oregon. They’d be in that group as well.

Thanks @RagingCloner

Last edited:

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Not sure about that, but If he’s a candidate and wants to get into the Big 10, UW would be a really good job. Not to mention you could imagine urgency to get into the Big 10 to be as high as ever given realignment.

I think the public perception of Campbell is still very positive. 2021 and 2022 hurt but that took him from miracle worker to really good coach.

I probably think more highly of UW than others but I would rank it only behind OSU, UM, SC and PSU.
Id probably add Oregon to that list as well

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
Like who?

And what is their source?
Are you serious? The thread literally contains multiple screenshots/links to articles of national reporters listing Campbell as a candidate.

Also I just assume anyone who challenges reporting they don't like by asking for reporters anonymous sources is 70+.
If he is at Washington, he isn’t losing to Ohio or Memphis. This is what you don’t get. The talent level and the resources make the margin for error different than it is here. It comes with its own challenges, but coaching at Washington isn’t the same as coaching at Iowa State. I do not see Washington as a good fit for Matt, but to bash him for what he has done at Iowa State is dumb. For much of my life our football team was one of the worst in P5 and one of the worst jobs in P5. HE changed that. I don’t know if he is a take at an elite program right now, but I know lots of P5 programs would jump at the opportunity to get him.
Deboer parlayed a national title game run into the 36 best recruiting class in the country. Washington should do better than that and should have more talent than ISU, but it's not as overwhelming as you think.
Washington lost to Montana in 2021. If Campbell left, he’d have plenty of opportunities to lose to lesser teams.
Yeah and the coach who lost to Montana didn't even finish the season. I don't think that supports the point you're trying to make.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Are you serious? The thread literally contains multiple screenshots/links to articles of national reporters listing Campbell as a candidate.

Also I just assume anyone who challenges reporting they don't like by asking for reporters anonymous sources is 70+.

Deboer parlayed a national title game run into the 36 best recruiting class in the country. Washington should do better than that and should have more talent than ISU, but it's not as overwhelming as you think.

Yeah and the coach who lost to Montana didn't even finish the season. I don't think that supports the point you're trying to make.
How would a national title run that just happened have anything to do with a class that just signed in December? He would have been recruting that class in his first season coming off a couple of really bad years.

If you want to question him winning with recruits from other coaches fine but taking a quick glance the team this year would have come from a 3 top 20 recruiting classes and 1 that was 26th. They have significantly more talent than Iowa state.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Did you even bother to look at (checks notes) DanPom69’s timeline? Or username for that matter? His previous tweets link Campbell to Alabama, Mississippi State, and A&M. That is literally ALL he does.

View attachment 122122
Are you surprised that the guy that falls for the fake Twitter account is also duped by Fox News into believing Seattle is a hell hole?

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
How would a national title run that just happened have anything to do with a class that just signed in December? He would have been recruting that class in his first season coming off a couple of really bad years.

If you want to question him winning with recruits from other coaches fine but taking a quick glance the team this year would have come from a 3 top 20 recruiting classes and 1 that was 26th. They have significantly more talent than Iowa state.
I would think being top 5 all year and being in the playoffs at the time of signing day would have been helpful. And they lost one game last year, they weren't coming odd a bad year and had a ton of momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.