Washington hires Jedd Fisch

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
It is football. How did the 49ers lose 3 straight at one point this year? Was that an ill prepared team led by an average coach. No. It is football. It is the ultimate team sport. The team struggles when players have an off day or do not execute the plan as instructed. It is a difficult game at the pro level with grown ass men. Now try doing it with many freshman and sophomores like Matt did this year. Maybe give him credit for K State, OSU… instead of focusing on the bad performances. I personally think this year was one of his better coaching jobs given the obstacles and youth on this team.
How do you think these “duds” would go over at the bigger schools? You think Washington and Alabama are going to accept losing to Memphis and Ohio? I think most Iowa State fans are past accepting these losses too.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
How do you think these “duds” would go over at the bigger schools? You think Washington and Alabama are going to accept losing to Memphis and Ohio? I think most Iowa State fans are past accepting these losses too.
Do we have the same history, resources, recruiting base, and expectations as Washington and Bama? Absolute garbage take here I’m sorry

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He is the best coach in OUR history but that’s not saying much at Iowa State unfortunately, hopefully he can continue to build the brand. Trust me I want him to retire here, but there are too many head scratching moments. Like how do we get physically manhandled upfront against Ohio and Memphis, on both sides of the ball, but go toe to toe with Texas for nearly 4 quarters and beat Kansas State the way we do? Baffled.

Our designed running plays those games averaged something like 0.2 yards per carry.

It is a head scratcher how that one area can suck so bad at times and it's not all food poisoning.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Um no, I have no delusions we will ever be a top team but losing to Ohio is not okay.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It is football. How did the 49ers lose 3 straight at one point this year? Was that an ill prepared team led by an average coach. No. It is football. It is the ultimate team sport. The team struggles when players have an off day or do not execute the plan as instructed. It is a difficult game at the pro level with grown ass men. Now try doing it with many freshman and sophomores like Matt did this year. Maybe give him credit for K State, OSU… instead of focusing on the bad performances. I personally think this year was one of his better coaching jobs given the obstacles and youth on this team.

So...are sports hard?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

No, top tier programs don't accept that kind of thing.

And they weren't accepted by ISU.

The general season record was acceptable though.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and NENick

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Our designed running plays those games averaged something like 0.2 yards per carry.

It is a head scratcher how that one area can suck so bad at times and it's not all food poisoning.
We tip our running plays. Defenses know it is coming, and probably which side.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Not taking a shot at you but I don't think you know much about the area surrounding USC. They spend significant money on on-campus security and it's legitimately unsafe off campus. I don't know much about the area surrounding UW but it's unlikely USC should be grouped with UW and definitely not UCLA. That's what I was trying to point out.

And before I get quoted again, I live in a large city and am familiar with urban areas and am not "irrationally fearful of these places".

Read the post I quoted. It mentioned UW, UCLA and USC and being in walkable areas. I agree on the first two, which is why I only referenced USC in my response.
USC is in a horrible area. UCLA and UW were awesome years ago, probably still nice today.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Remember when some ISU fans wanted CMC gone earlier this year? Now with questions of CMC leaving, I couldn’t help but think of this Simpsons clip

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
MC was a hot name 2 years ago. His star has fallen. No CFP team is going to hire a coach who can't beat iowa, and lost to memphis and ohio in the same year. MC is a good coach, but he wont sniff the Washington job.

I also think Wash. wants an offensive minded coach, not a defensive one.
Campbell played defense, but his coaching pedigree is actually offense.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
For what it's worth no one is talking about Campbell on Washington's 247 board. They have a premium article with 5 candidates and he's not one of them, and I don't think I've seen anyone even mention him as a possibility. Doesn't necessarily mean much, but they aren't talking about him at all, even to say there is no way they want him.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
I don’t think Campbell is going to be a serious candidate for big time coaching jobs again until he has another 2020 kind of season. The kind of places that would want him right now aren’t the kind of places he would consider, IMO.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Doubt if Campbell leaves for Seattle. With all the players that loyally stayed, just can not see it. Plus Campbell is a Midwest guy. Not a Big City guy.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I keep thinking if Pete Carroll was 5-10 years younger, I'd really target him.

Reactions: aauummm

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The NFL has a lot more parity. There isn't nearly as large of a gap between NFL teams as there is between P5 teams and G5 teams, and doesn't take much (such as a few key injuries) to really swing things the other way in an nfl matchup.

Campbell has done wonders when it comes to the big 12 portion of the schedule, and you can come up with individual excuses for many of the noncon struggles, but in the aggregate there are way too many duds in there to be explained simply by individual game excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron