Washington Post- Jack Trice Article

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
It's all about how our end zones suck!

Just kidding....a pretty good article that will bring give some people information about Jack Trice. Also note that one of the comments is from a Hawk fan who called us "little brother". What ********.

Good article, thanks for sharing.

Don't let Hok fans bother you. Some of them get jealous when they don't get attention. Just ignore them that way they still don't get attention :)

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It's all about how our end zones suck!

Just kidding....a pretty good article that will bring give some people information about Jack Trice. Also note that one of the comments is from a Hawk fan who called us "little brother". What ********.

Thanks for sharing! Everytime I read about Jack's story and especially his letter from the night before the game I get choked up. Just a college kid wanting to play a sport and he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Not to mention he had to feel extremely alone before and after the game.

I'm so happy that his story was discovered and for the push to get the stadium named after him. I'm glad we continue to lean more and more into his story and incorporating his legacy into our athletic department.

Reactions: psychlone99

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
  • Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The correspondence between Brewer and Beyer kind of hit me in the gut.

Yeah, I’d read those letters before but in some ways they are as powerful as Jack’s letter.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Yeah, I’d read those letters before but in some ways they are as powerful as Jack’s letter.
In a few words, they paint an unflattering picture of the world then, made worse by the timing of Trice's death, casually stated.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The correspondence between Brewer and Beyer kind of hit me in the gut.
For reference, here's the full Beyer letter.

history-education-pss-equality-beyer-source_1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: matclone

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Agree with everyone about the letters.

There is actually an untold story behind the letter that Missouri sent - something I've been sitting on for quite a while. When the time is right, I'll be sharing it. It will make the letter even more powerful and repulsive.

Typically if an integrated team played at the home of a racist team, they would follow the customs of that location. However, if a racist team played at the home of an integrated team, 99% of the time, the racist team threw such a fit so they could impose their own conditions - even though it was an away game for them.

Quite frankly, Jack should've played in the Big Ten. Coach Willaman had originally turned down Iowa State, but later reconsidered. Kind of an awkward fit and he immediately scampered back to Ohio State after the East Tech boys graduated.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The article from the Washington Post, part 1:
"In a shoe box of sorts that an Iowa State archivist retrieved for me several years ago were two pieces of correspondence from 1923.
The initiating letter, dated Oct. 8, was from C.L. Brewer, who records show was then director of physical education at the University of Missouri in Columbia. His missive was addressed to S.W. Beyer at Iowa State, a key athletic official at the Ames campus who all but birthed its intercollegiate athletics program.

Brewer’s letter read in part:
We understand from newspaper reports that you have a colored man playing with your football squad this Fall. I am quite sure, Professor Beyer, you know conditions here, and know it is impossible for a colored man to play or even appear on the field with any team.

This has been discussed in the Missouri Valley for a good many years and I know that you understand the tradition that a colored man cannot come here. This whole question is bigger than our athletics and there is no alternative for us other than to say that we cannot permit a colored man on any team that we play.

Very truly yours, C.L. Brewer
Beyer responded two days later, in part:
It has been understood for several years by the faculty members of the schools in Iowa and Nebraska that colored men could not be used on teams playing with schools from the states of Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma. There is no written rule on the subject, only a [gentlemen’s] agreement.

We had no intention of using Jack Trice in the game with you. However that is all settled because Jack’s injury resulted in his death Monday afternoon.

With kindest personal regards, I am, Yours cordially and sincerely, SWB: LM
On Saturday, one day before the 100th anniversary of Trice’s death, the university is scheduled to kick off the Jack Trice Legacy Football Game. The home team will sport reproductions of the uniforms — with vertical silver stripes from waist to sternum — it wore Oct. 6, 1923, when Trice suffered injuries on the field to which he later succumbed. And in the days before and after the game, the university will celebrate with academic lectures about Trice’s importance, the awarding of a posthumous degree and a commemorative service on the date of his death."

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The article from the Washington Post, part 1:
"In a shoe box of sorts that an Iowa State archivist retrieved for me several years ago were two pieces of correspondence from 1923.
The initiating letter, dated Oct. 8, was from C.L. Brewer, who records show was then director of physical education at the University of Missouri in Columbia. His missive was addressed to S.W. Beyer at Iowa State, a key athletic official at the Ames campus who all but birthed its intercollegiate athletics program.

Brewer’s letter read in part:
We understand from newspaper reports that you have a colored man playing with your football squad this Fall. I am quite sure, Professor Beyer, you know conditions here, and know it is impossible for a colored man to play or even appear on the field with any team.

This has been discussed in the Missouri Valley for a good many years and I know that you understand the tradition that a colored man cannot come here. This whole question is bigger than our athletics and there is no alternative for us other than to say that we cannot permit a colored man on any team that we play.

Very truly yours, C.L. Brewer
Beyer responded two days later, in part:
It has been understood for several years by the faculty members of the schools in Iowa and Nebraska that colored men could not be used on teams playing with schools from the states of Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma. There is no written rule on the subject, only a [gentlemen’s] agreement.

We had no intention of using Jack Trice in the game with you. However that is all settled because Jack’s injury resulted in his death Monday afternoon.

With kindest personal regards, I am, Yours cordially and sincerely, SWB: LM
On Saturday, one day before the 100th anniversary of Trice’s death, the university is scheduled to kick off the Jack Trice Legacy Football Game. The home team will sport reproductions of the uniforms — with vertical silver stripes from waist to sternum — it wore Oct. 6, 1923, when Trice suffered injuries on the field to which he later succumbed. And in the days before and after the game, the university will celebrate with academic lectures about Trice’s importance, the awarding of a posthumous degree and a commemorative service on the date of his death."
Part 2:
"In all these years that young Black men have played, starred in and contributed so enormously to the game of college football that they now dominate, I don’t recall any who have been so honored. Especially one who wasn’t an all-American, all-conference or all-anything. Trice played only one game, at home against Simpson College, before dying after his second.
Trice’s tale, which I researched many years ago for my thesis, is one of the most remarkable in a sport full of them. He was more than a pioneer as the first Black football player at Iowa State and one of the early Black football players at a predominantly White college. Trice became an inspiration. Why? Because of what he aspired to do for others.
Trice left his Cleveland home for Ames in 1922, with the goal of learning to farm as had his father, who died when Trice was 7. And he wanted to farm in the South, where his parents were born, and for Black Americans who predominated that region. What better place to learn the trade than Iowa State, which produced the most famous Black scientist in America, botanist George Washington Carver? Carver also had been a part of the Iowa State football program, serving as its trainer for a spell.

But like the other few Black students in Ames, Trice was left to fend for himself, at the same time a local KKK chapter was sprouting. He had to secure housing off the de facto Whites-only campus. That meant renting a room in a house that catered to Black students and provided board. And finding work to pay for it, which Trice did, as a janitor. It aided him a year later in bringing his teenage bride, Cora Mae, to live with him. He said goodbye to her before joining the team for an overnight train trip Oct. 5, 1923, to a game against Minnesota the next day.

College football was a much more perilous game then. Nearly two decades earlier, then-president Theodore Roosevelt summoned the bosses of the major football schools to clean up a game that in 1905 saw several players killed. It resulted in outlawing, for example, the flying wedge, when blockers locked arms and steamrolled would-be tacklers.
The few Black players for White colleges often found themselves objects of the game’s violence. When Paul Robeson in 1915 integrated the team at Rutgers, where he became a two-time all-American, he was targeted — by his own teammates.

Trice couldn’t blend in at Minnesota’s Northrop Field. He wasn’t a light-skinned Black man with wavy hair. Trice was dark skinned, a deep chocolate. He wore his tuft of tightly coiled black hair high on his crown and closely cropped on the sides. His opponents took note.
Trice was an object of their attack early, injuring his shoulder in the first quarter. In the third quarter, Trice, playing defensive end, was faced with an avalanche of linemen clearing a path for a Gophers ballcarrier, a formation similar to the one that had been outlawed. Trice lowered his body and began a roll to break up the oncoming blockade.
He was trampled. Maybe on purpose.

Trice couldn’t make it on his own to the sideline. But after teammates helped him, the team doctor ordered him to a hospital. He was released, prematurely some have suspected, to make the team’s overnight train ride back to Ames atop what was said to be a straw mattress in a drafty boxcar.

Trice was rushed to Iowa State’s infirmary. By Monday, his condition worsened. It was believed he had suffered a broken collarbone and internal injuries that some said should have been treated in Minnesota. The Iowa State Daily later that day announced his death. “With him since his injury has been his wife, who nurses in the hospital say is bearing up bravely,” the newspaper reported.
Classes were canceled the next day for a campus funeral. Cora Mae gave university president R.A. Pearson a letter she found in her late husband’s belongings and granted him permission to read it to the throng. It read in part:

To Whom it may concern:
My thoughts just before the first real college game of my life. The honor of my race, family, & self is at stake. Everyone is expecting me to do big things. I will! My whole body & soul are to be thrown recklessly about on the field tomorrow. Every time the ball is snapped, I will be trying to do more than my part.

Jack

A memorial plaque was placed in the corner of the gym. It was forgotten about until a tutor noticed it half a century later. The Iowa State Daily wrote a story about the discovery. A class dug deeper. A student movement began to honor him more prominently.
It all spurred the Jack Trice Memorial Stadium Committee, which culminated in 1997 when this ordinary and once-forgotten athlete was memorialized, with his name unveiled on the home stadium where his game is scheduled to be played Saturday. It is, by the way, the only stadium in major college football whose name commemorates a representative of Trice’s race, someone colleges once didn’t want to let play.
In all these years that young Black men have played, starred in and contributed so enormously to the game of college football that they now dominate, I don’t recall any who have been so honored. Especially one who wasn’t an all-American, all-conference or all-anything. Trice played only one game, at home against Simpson College, before dying after his second.
Trice’s tale, which I researched many years ago for my thesis, is one of the most remarkable in a sport full of them. He was more than a pioneer as the first Black football player at Iowa State and one of the early Black football players at a predominantly White college. Trice became an inspiration. Why? Because of what he aspired to do for others.
Trice left his Cleveland home for Ames in 1922, with the goal of learning to farm as had his father, who died when Trice was 7. And he wanted to farm in the South, where his parents were born, and for Black Americans who predominated that region. What better place to learn the trade than Iowa State, which produced the most famous Black scientist in America, botanist George Washington Carver? Carver also had been a part of the Iowa State football program, serving as its trainer for a spell."

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Part 2:
"In all these years that young Black men have played, starred in and contributed so enormously to the game of college football that they now dominate, I don’t recall any who have been so honored. Especially one who wasn’t an all-American, all-conference or all-anything. Trice played only one game, at home against Simpson College, before dying after his second.
Trice left his Cleveland home for Ames in 1922, with the goal of learning to farm as had his father, who died when Trice was 7. And he wanted to farm in the South, where his parents were born, and for Black Americans who predominated that region. What better place to learn the trade than Iowa State, which produced the most famous Black scientist in America, botanist George Washington Carver? Carver also had been a part of the Iowa State football program, serving as its trainer for a spell.

But like the other few Black students in Ames, Trice was left to fend for himself, at the same time a local KKK chapter was sprouting. He had to secure housing off the de facto Whites-only campus. That meant renting a room in a house that catered to Black students and provided board. And finding work to pay for it, which Trice did, as a janitor. It aided him a year later in bringing his teenage bride, Cora Mae, to live with him. He said goodbye to her before joining the team for an overnight train trip Oct. 5, 1923, to a game against Minnesota the next day.

College football was a much more perilous game then. Nearly two decades earlier, then-president Theodore Roosevelt summoned the bosses of the major football schools to clean up a game that in 1905 saw several players killed. It resulted in outlawing, for example, the flying wedge, when blockers locked arms and steamrolled would-be tacklers.
The few Black players for White colleges often found themselves objects of the game’s violence. When Paul Robeson in 1915 integrated the team at Rutgers, where he became a two-time all-American, he was targeted — by his own teammates.

Trice couldn’t blend in at Minnesota’s Northrop Field. He wasn’t a light-skinned Black man with wavy hair. Trice was dark skinned, a deep chocolate. He wore his tuft of tightly coiled black hair high on his crown and closely cropped on the sides. His opponents took note.
Trice was an object of their attack early, injuring his shoulder in the first quarter. In the third quarter, Trice, playing defensive end, was faced with an avalanche of linemen clearing a path for a Gophers ballcarrier, a formation similar to the one that had been outlawed. Trice lowered his body and began a roll to break up the oncoming blockade.

Trice couldn’t make it on his own to the sideline. But after teammates helped him, the team doctor ordered him to a hospital. He was released, prematurely some have suspected, to make the team’s overnight train ride back to Ames atop what was said to be a straw mattress in a drafty boxcar.

Trice was rushed to Iowa State’s infirmary. By Monday, his condition worsened. It was believed he had suffered a broken collarbone and internal injuries that some said should have been treated in Minnesota. The Iowa State Daily later that day announced his death. “With him since his injury has been his wife, who nurses in the hospital say is bearing up bravely,” the newspaper reported.
Classes were canceled the next day for a campus funeral. Cora Mae gave university president R.A. Pearson a letter she found in her late husband’s belongings and granted him permission to read it to the throng. It read in part:

To Whom it may concern:
My thoughts just before the first real college game of my life. The honor of my race, family, & self is at stake. Everyone is expecting me to do big things. I will! My whole body & soul are to be thrown recklessly about on the field tomorrow. Every time the ball is snapped, I will be trying to do more than my part.

Jack

A memorial plaque was placed in the corner of the gym. It was forgotten about until a tutor noticed it half a century later. The Iowa State Daily wrote a story about the discovery. A class dug deeper. A student movement began to honor him more prominently.
It all spurred the Jack Trice Memorial Stadium Committee, which culminated in 1997 when this ordinary and once-forgotten athlete was memorialized, with his name unveiled on the home stadium where his game is scheduled to be played Saturday. It is, by the way, the only stadium in major college football whose name commemorates a representative of Trice’s race, someone colleges once didn’t want to let play.
In all these years that young Black men have played, starred in and contributed so enormously to the game of college football that they now dominate, I don’t recall any who have been so honored. Especially one who wasn’t an all-American, all-conference or all-anything. Trice played only one game, at home against Simpson College, before dying after his second.
Trice left his Cleveland home for Ames in 1922, with the goal of learning to farm as had his father, who died when Trice was 7. And he wanted to farm in the South, where his parents were born, and for Black Americans who predominated that region. What better place to learn the trade than Iowa State, which produced the most famous Black scientist in America, botanist George Washington Carver? Carver also had been a part of the Iowa State football program, serving as its trainer for a spell."
Pt 3:
"But like the other few Black students in Ames, Trice was left to fend for himself, at the same time a local KKK chapter was sprouting. He had to secure housing off the de facto Whites-only campus. That meant renting a room in a house that catered to Black students and provided board. And finding work to pay for it, which Trice did, as a janitor. It aided him a year later in bringing his teenage bride, Cora Mae, to live with him. He said goodbye to her before joining the team for an overnight train trip Oct. 5, 1923, to a game against Minnesota the next day.

Classes were canceled the next day for a campus funeral. Cora Mae gave university president R.A. Pearson a letter she found in her late husband’s belongings and granted him permission to read it to the throng. It read in part:"

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Pt 3:
"But like the other few Black students in Ames, Trice was left to fend for himself, at the same time a local KKK chapter was sprouting. He had to secure housing off the de facto Whites-only campus. That meant renting a room in a house that catered to Black students and provided board. And finding work to pay for it, which Trice did, as a janitor. It aided him a year later in bringing his teenage bride, Cora Mae, to live with him. He said goodbye to her before joining the team for an overnight train trip Oct. 5, 1923, to a game against Minnesota the next day.

Classes were canceled the next day for a campus funeral. Cora Mae gave university president R.A. Pearson a letter she found in her late husband’s belongings and granted him permission to read it to the throng. It read in part:"
Pt 4:
"To Whom it may concern:

Jack

It all spurred the Jack Trice Memorial Stadium Committee, which culminated in 1997 when this ordinary and once-forgotten athlete was memorialized, with his name unveiled on the home stadium where his game is scheduled to be played Saturday. It is, by the way, the only stadium in major college football whose name commemorates a representative of Trice’s race, someone colleges once didn’t want to let play."

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
Has anyone ever been “accidentally” trampled to death playing American football? That knee-jerk, speculative defense to the apparent racist motives is so implausible no one even bothered trying to make it when I learned the Jack Trice story in the early 2000s. Can’t believe it’s around today.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Has anyone ever been “accidentally” trampled to death playing American football? That knee-jerk, speculative defense to the apparent racist motives is so implausible no one even bothered trying to make it when I learned the Jack Trice story in the early 2000s. Can’t believe it’s around today.

College football 100 years ago was barely one step above rugby, and it was basically considered a good year if only a single-digit number of guys died.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Then were you sarcastic? Or do you have a source showing the number of “accidental” trampling deaths in college football?

All I get from you is that it's okay to speculate if it aligns with your position, but not okay if it doesn't.