Watching Kansas vs. Tennesee

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Anyone know why the UNI logo is on the NCAA court at Wells Fargo Arena?

Also, keep it up Kansas.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think UNI is the host school for the Des Moines regional.

I think the bigger question is "Why is it UNI and not Drake?" I think I know why it can't be ISU - we hosted first and second round games in Ames.

And Sam Steele is the sideline reporter for this game...

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I was there. Props to Tenn. as the color orange DOMINATED the arena which was decently full. I got my tickets the day they went on sale and I was row 4 in a section just to the side of the bench that was KU/BU. Of course though I was decked out in my orange in support of Tenn. Sorry KU but you robbed me of my only chance to see EDD in person and I can't forgive you for that. Glad Tenn got there heads out of there *****. Also of note I see that Pat's top assistant did most of the instructing and while Pat did get up and stand at times it's evident to everyone there that she probably will have to call it a career. Very sad to see something like this happening to a woman who has done more for this game than any other. I got some very good photos of Miss Steele today.:smile:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I think the bigger question is "Why is it UNI and not Drake?" I think I know why it can't be ISU - we hosted first and second round games in Ames.

Believe me I know...I was sitting right next to her for both games!

Tragic to see how diminished Pats role is with the team.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

You can host both a sub-regional and regional if you apply for it (no idea why it was UNI and not Drake, though). But the rules changed a few years ago for the regional games. The host school is no longer allowed to play in the region they are hosting. If we had applied for it and gotten it, we wouldn't have been placed in the Des Moines region anyway.

An example of this was the Berkeley region we played in for the 2009 NCAA tournament. Cal was the host, but wasn't one of the 16 teams placed in the Berkeley region. It sounds dumb, but they wanted to find a way to keep teams from having a four-game home-court advantage to get to the Final Four (like ISU would have in 2002 had we not lost to BYU in the 2nd round).

Another example is that in last year's tournament, Gonzaga hosted 1st and 2nd round games in Spokane and played in the Spokane regional. The difference there was the regional was hosted by Washington State. The selection committee was kind enough to put Gonzaga in the Spokane region in spite of their 11 seed. Otherwise, there's very little incentive for a school to host a regional anymore.

balken

Apr 14, 2006

My uneducated guess is that UNI was granted the position of host but the McLeod Center does not have enough capacity to be considered as the court, thus the move to WFA.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
As a long time Vols fan, it is hard to see Pat on the sideline on the bench, but everything I hear is that she is back next year, that her role is now more of one of one coaching. In games where energy has been low, etc., she has gotten up and yelled at players a few times.

I think they are preparing Holly to take over the team, but Pat will stay involved. I thought this would be her last year, but it is not what I am hearing.

However, they haven't had a player commit in 18 months, so....a lot of the recruits are waiting to see what happens in Knoxville.

I think Pat is going to end of in some kind of advisory role.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I guess we have had tickets to these games .... My wifes work was handing them out.

Im not really into womens hoops so if someone wants a free pair for tomorrow. Let me know.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
My uneducated guess is that UNI was granted the position of host but the McLeod Center does not have enough capacity to be considered as the court, thus the move to WFA.

UNI put a bid in conjunction with the DSM Convention and Visitors Bureau. The plan was always to have it in DSM, Cedar Falls was never an option.