Water coming in through a crack in basement floor

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
My guess is a problem with the perimeter tile around this 1959 ranch home that I have. It's pretty much in a small area of the southeast corner. I wonder if a tree root could have worked it's way inside the tile and if so can it be reamed out without replacing all of it? I've called one company and they're booked until July, another hasn't returned my call. Any advice or recomendations will be much appreciated. Sounds expensive.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Make sure gutters are clean and that all the downspots are connected and you might add extentions onto them to get the water further from the house.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Make sure gutters are clean and that all the downspots are connected and you might add extentions onto them to get the water further from the house.

That particular downspout is about 5 feet long. I'll put an extender on it but it seems like a bigger issue. Thanks.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Building-up the ground surface so it slopes away from the foundation in that portion of the house also helps. And gutter exstensions help as well.

Is your house in a valley? And did you have a wet spring? If so, you may need a sump pump. They also do wonders.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
The house doesn't have a sump pump. Until recently never had a problem. The water from the perimeter tile drains in to the house right next to a pretty big drain that in turn goes to the the sewer lines.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
We had tree roots get in the lines and destroy them at home. Dad fought it for a few years, then eventually just decided to dig up the old lines and put in new. Roots could very well be the problem, but all the comments above are very likely as well.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
We had tree roots get in the lines and destroy them at home. Dad fought it for a few years, then eventually just decided to dig up the old lines and put in new. Roots could very well be the problem, but all the comments above are very likely as well.

This one guy said that he can put a camera inside a line through the tile to check it. Of course Ames is supposed to get 2+ inches of rain in the next day or two, my luck.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
There is a tree 10 feet outside of where the water is seeping in and I thought maybe if that section is plugged the water is finding another path. Just a guess.

Yeah, it might have happened recently. If you start having a sewage backup, then it is probably tree roots. Definitely get someone in there to check it out.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
As mentioned above, check the gutters to make sure they're not clogged. It's amazing the difference this can make.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
As mentioned above, check the gutters to make sure they're not clogged. It's amazing the difference this can make.

Just got back from Lowes to put on an extension on downspout and I'll keep an eye on things. Not sure who's better Anchored Walls or Midwest Basement. Thanks.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Same thing happened to me. I had a crack down the corner of my basement. With me, the gutter ran down a crack in my driveway 5-6 feet away from house and unbeknownst to me when I dug out the landscaping that was in that area, there was a 3-4" hollow hole under the edge of the driveway pavement so the water was just running from there into the side of the house. I re-did the area in the spring last year and made sure to pack dirt all along that area and have not had an issue since. It's not a long time solution I don't think but if it persists, I will just pave that whole area and slope it away from the house :)