Water under the washing machine

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
About a year ago we started noticing water under our washing machine. We inherited it when we moved into our to townhouse so we decided to buy a brand new washer dryer set. However, we are still finding water under it and it's driving my wife nuts which ruins everybody's day. We are definitely not overloading it as it did it with just two small sweatshirts in it. I see no water running down the wall drain so it must be coming from the machine. One thing we have noticed is we can hear "gurgling(?)" sounds from the kitchen sink when it may happen. I haven't really kept a tally on that.

Does anyone have any idea on this? I'm not really sure if a call a plumber or an appliance person. Again, the washing machine is less than a year old.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Plenty of places that can leak. Some simple some not. Connections leak, etc. Pump itself could be leaking, I had that on one of mne years ago. At that point might as well just replace it, because costs as much or more to fix than getting a new one.

Edit: I read that you inherited the leak, missed that you replaced it, and still leak. Seems to be a hose or drain related. I would also check the floor for damage too.

Last edited:

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Is it on cement floors? If so I wouldn't be too concerned. If it's on something on top of plywood I would be. Tearing out the carpet at my last house I found a 6 or 7 inch hole in the plywood directly below where a ceiling leak was who knows how many years ago (it was just a stain and small crack in the ceiling).

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Is it on cement floors? If so I wouldn't be too concerned. If it's on something on top of plywood I would be. Tearing out the carpet at my last house I found a 6 or 7 inch hole in the plywood directly below where a ceiling leak was who knows how many years ago (it was just a stain and small crack in the ceiling).
It is not on cement.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
About a year ago we started noticing water under our washing machine. We inherited it when we moved into our to townhouse so we decided to buy a brand new washer dryer set. However, we are still finding water under it and it's driving my wife nuts which ruins everybody's day. We are definitely not overloading it as it did it with just two small sweatshirts in it. I see no water running down the wall drain so it must be coming from the machine. One thing we have noticed is we can hear "gurgling(?)" sounds from the kitchen sink when it may happen. I haven't really kept a tally on that.

Does anyone have any idea on this? I'm not really sure if a call a plumber or an appliance person. Again, the washing machine is less than a year old.

It might be a dumb question, but did you replace the hoses with new ones when you got the new W\D? Possible a small leak there?

Does it only leak when it runs or do you find water building up even without it running?

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Is there one of these on the drin line? Screenshot_20231030_151705_Chrome.jpg if so it probably needs replaced. I run into the same issue and replacing this generally fixes it.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If you’re on your second washer and the same thing happens, it’s probably not the washer. If it’s not much water, check your water inlets. I’ve found that those tend to drip as they age.

Put some paper towels around the drain to see if it is backing up at all.

Edit: if your washer is on subfloor, get a washer tub under it. Saves a lot of hassle for minor leaks. If you can, add a drain to that tub as well to save yourself on a major leak.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Dealt with this issue a couple times. Where specifically is the water pooling? Is it happening in the same place with both the old and new washers?

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
1) Check water supply lines (hot and cold) -- all connection points, and check if they are wet anywhere along the length; may have to watch a fill cycle.

2) Check the standing drain pipe, where you put the drain hose into -- if it's stuck in too far, not enough -- or there could be a partial blockage down the line; watch a drain/spin cycle on a full load

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I'm inept at this stuff....where would it be?
Somewhere above where the water runs. On mine it's behind the top left corner of the washing machine. When faulty it causes it leak onto the floor when draining. It's not attached to the washing machine but the drain line the washing machine drains through.
Screenshot_20231030_152949_Chrome.jpg

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
We had our washer drain line in the wall get plugged and had to have a drain cleaning company clean it out. Ours was ok after about 1 load but would back up after more. Works like a dream now. If you are in the Des Moines area I can give you the name of the people we used. Super fast and the cost was very reasonable.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Dopey

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I would run a cycle through and watch what happens. My guess is that your drain is clogged and the water is running down the drain hose.

Agree with this. Run a quick cycle on warm so it’s using a hot/cold water mix and check everything on the exterior first.

Depending on your level of handiness and where the leak is under the machine, pull the back/sides off and run another quick cycle. Just watch for a leak and track it down.

I just had to do this with my SILs washer and I found a leak in the hose running from the pump to where the drain line attaches on the back of the machine. It was a whopping 20 dollar fix.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Somewhere above where the water runs. On mine it's behind the top left corner of the washing machine. When faulty it causes it leak onto the floor when draining. It's not attached to the washing machine but the drain line the washing machine drains through.
View attachment 118651
From that picture, use PVC not the flexible drains. I installed this guy https://www.homedepot.com/p/SIMPLE-...m-Single-Sink-Drain-Kit-3EA-1V2-TC0/313608432 it worked fine and was super easy to install but failed the inspection when I was selling.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
From that picture, use PVC not the flexible drains. I installed this guy https://www.homedepot.com/p/SIMPLE-...m-Single-Sink-Drain-Kit-3EA-1V2-TC0/313608432 it worked fine and was super easy to install but failed the inspection when I was selling.

These snappytrap things are great. I used them everywhere in our house. Not sure if they’ll pass inspection but they should because the flex line is actually smooth on the inside.